Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Just curious what you guys shoot and have many of you had the "different group problems" with the two.......my broad heads fly a little high and to the left when my field tips are dead nuts and this is the same using either the sabers or the muzzys......I am thinking of switching to the spitfire type because I have heard they fly like the field tips do.....my set up is a PSE compound, set @ #70, shooting beamen carbons w/ 125 gr. tips.........Boots

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
So no one else has had this problem before?.......

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Used to have the problem. Retuned to hit center with broad heads, practice with broad heads. I use Magnus 2 blade, 125 and keep the sharp ones seperated from the practice ones.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I only know a couple of seasoned shooters that actually sight in with broud heads. I am appauled at how many people, even on television, sight in with field points, screw in broud heads and go hunting. THEY NEVER shoot their broud heads!!! Jackie Bushwoman and the other dumb asss on BuckMasters did this very thing last weekend. They arrived at "the ranch", shot a couple of field points at the target, screwed their broud heads back in and declared they were both ready ready!!!!! They did this on camera! What a couple of dumb asses! They were using HUGE broud heads as well, and I know they don't shoot to the same POI. There isn't a non mechanical broud head on the market that shoots in the same place as a field point past 30 yards. They all fly different than broud heads. Anywho, I use Thunderhead 100's and i seldom shoot field points any more. I only hunt with broud heads and I practice all year with my broud heads in foam targets and at small game, so their isn't a need for field points for my usage. At 20 yards they shoot REALLY close to where my field points do, but after that, they are way off. Just my opinion. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I agree with ya Flinch 100% about practicing what you shoot with.....that is what proposed my question this preseason.....but I also like to shoot the small game w/ my judo points too so I need a broad head that shoots like a field point / judo point.....I want to keep my groups, an inch per every ten yards, the same with a broad head and the small game head...I would rather find a broad head that works than resight my bow....Boots

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with the 2 previous posts . I only shoot broad heads any more out of my hunting rig. I have been shooting now for 27 years and have finally settled on Steelforce 100 gr for my head of choice , I prefer a cut on contact 2 blade head head over any other . It is well documented that the 2 blade COC heads out penetrate any other type of head with mechanichals in dead last. Getting 3 blade heads with conical points leads to having to retune your bow to go back and forth between fp's and bh's it is the nature of the beast, you are increasing surface area too much one could not realistically expect them to fly the same as a FP.Your choices are deal with the change between heads or try shooting a 2 blade cut on contact wich will closer to your field points than a 3 blade, or just put the bh's on and leave em' there .

I Kill Things......deal with it..
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I thought yall might like to check this out........
http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have you paper tuned your bow? If your arrow is not coming off straight, your going to get different POI with different broadheads as well as field points. There are other factors such as your inserts being square as well but tuning your bow is the biggest I've seen. I've shot broadheads that wouldn't group with field points no matter what I did but I also have a number that shot to the same POI out to 60 yards. I've also seen mechanicals that didn't so that isn't a given either. I've had very good results with Muzzy 4 blades, G5 Montecs, Steelforce and Magnus Stingers. Rocky Mountain mechanicals and fixed have all worked pretty well. The biggest difference I've seen with fixed and mechanicals is they way the fly in wind with the advantage with mechanicals. I shoot way to much to just use broadheads and shooting for groups with bhs gets way too expensive replacing bhs, arrows and fletchings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your broadheads have a different poi than field tips of the same weight, something somewhere is outta whack. I do shoot my broadheads every year before hunting season to make sure all is right. And when EVERYTHING is in tune I do NOT have to make sight adjustments. I also tune each arrow individually. If it wont hit where it is supposed to with the field point and broadhead, it is marked and stored away. This is a very tedieous process but when finished I know without any shadow of a doubt that broadhead is going where I want it to. As for mechanicals, especially the [email]s@$tfires[/email], they are best left alone. It takes a tremendous amount of kinetic energy to put them thru game. Either shoot a two blade coi head or try the G-5 montec. One hell of a coi 3 blade head. tough as nails and they fly true.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bootsfishing, I had exactully the same problem, except mine cost me a few hundred bucks,($). I had been practicing in the lower field by my folks house using field tips at a styrofoam target. Picture this, I am back shooting a stack of foam logs with my new PSE. I was doing pretty good with the field tips. no problem hitting the target. Up slope and in line with my target sits my dads new GMC pick up. You see this one comming don't you. Well it was time to try the broad heads same weight but turned out they hit just a bit high, like a foot, which was just enough to glance off the top of the foam stack and angle up the hill to impact the drivers door of the new GMC. A broad head at 55 yards will not go clear through a door of a new GMC but it will stick in the door leaving a nice round hole with the blades making pretty little cuts in the door. My major regret was I did not have an old tag to tie to the mirror...the old man might have gotten a laugh out of it once he calmed down. The other problem I have with bow hunting is with my left hand, it continuly reaches for my wallet when in the presence of new gear. I'm a muzzleloader hunter now.

Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (1234, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,809 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,418
Posts18,528,245
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.