Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
gregory Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Why do so many shooters own 40,50 or more magazines? Are there advantages or disadvantages between using 20 or 30 round magazines? All of the magazines I own are top quality and new. Does it create any problems to store tha magazines loaded? Does it matter if I load the magazines to full capacity or should I load 29 rounds in a 30 round magazine, 19 rounds in a 20? etc..How about magazine cleaning or maintenance? I've been shooting for almost fifty years, but this AR stuff is a whole new galaxy for me. Well, Thanks for you help. Gregory

Last edited by gregory; 03/01/08.
GB1

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Gregory,

Most folks own a bunch of Mags because they remember the Clinton AWB days when AR mags were worth thier weight in Gold.
Stock up and never worry.

20 rounders are great for stalking woodchucks, and allow you to get a lower Prone position. They also come in handy when bench resting as they allow for the rifle to sit lower.

There are no problems associated with storing the Mags loaded.
Mag springs are either good or bad. The Springs do not need to "Rest" as some might say. They will take an initial "Set" and stay there,or they will pack up. Just like any other spring.

No problems loading 30, as long as you are loading into the rifle with the bolt open. With the bolt closed, there will be resistence upon seating the mag from compressing the top round against the Mag spring, and if you are doing so in a hurry it might cause a fudged manipulation.

Loading 28 allows for easier/more positive seating in a hurry
on a closed bolt and hence is why most folks only load 28.

Cleaning/Maint is easy.
Every range trip when ya drop them into the dirt, clean em.
Pull the floor plate, remove the spring and follower, run a rag through the mag body.
Wipe down the exterior of the mag.
Wipe down the spring.
Apply a VERY light coat of you favorite Lube/preservative to the spring.
Reassemble.

There is very little maint. to be done to the mags.
If they ain't working right, replace the spring and folower.
If the floorplate is dinged up, replace it.
If the floorplate Tabs are tweaked, tweak 'em back.
If the floorplate tabs are broken, use a paint pen and mark the mag "Range" and use it for range sessions only, to spare your most reliable mags the beatings.

A few suggestions for ya that might help out in the long run.

Mark your mags with your own identifier code.
Say... "Greg#1,Greg2,Greg3" etc.
That way when you are out having fun and one of the little boogers decides to act up,you know which one it is.And more importantly, you know WHO'S it is if you ever share jumbled range space with other Black rifle shooters.;)

When you have a trashed Magazine, take it apart and keep the components. All of them.
They come in handy when you can rebuild another mag that has given out.

The magazine body was a "Part" not a whole in the expired AWB, and hence the mag could be rebuilt with a new Body legally.
If they renew the AWB it will be good to be able to "Rebuild" 4 mew mags from the 4 components of the previous magazine.

Magpul anti-tilt followers are great!!!
G.I. Followers(Green) are OK.
Stay away from the black followers, and most of the aftermarket followers.

Best of luck to ya!!!
E4E

gregory Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you E4E, You have given me very simple and clear answers to all of my magazine questions. You have basically written a magazine manual, very clear and easy to understand. Gregory

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent post E4E.

I might just add a couple things. Magpul P-Mags are excellent and inexpensive. H&K Magazines are excellent and expensive.
There's no such thing as owning too many AR mags smile .......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
+1 on that post E4E....

The original AWB taught me all the lessons I want to learn about being prepared. Prices on ARs, mags, etc. are "reasonable" again so if there's anything you've had your eye on, it's "better safe than sorry" if you ask me....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 21, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 4,270 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,817
Posts18,536,787
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.