A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'll have a cow tag in my pocket during this years elk hunt. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I certainly don't hunt for trophys. I hunt for the enjoyment of the chase and for meat in the freezer.

I've never killed what I'd call, or most would call, a true big a$$ed bruiser whitetail. I like to watch the deer more than anything, and when I stopped shooting the first legal deer I saw, I started learning so much about them, and enjoying my time afield. I guess technically, I hunt for horns, but really since I don't have places to hunt that I really have such a great chance of getting that big trophy, I hunt mostly to hunt. I might take one for meat, and I like the meat, but it's not a staple in my house. I give lots away when I do have meat. Maybe that's a fence straddling answer, I don't know.

Last edited by .280Rem; 03/06/08.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i can say both grin where i hunt i can most years get 1 either sex/either secies tag(generally refered to as a buck tag) and usually up to 7 mule deer doe or whitetail doe tags or a mix of both....the whitetail being good over the large region of where i live, the mulies being limited to specific areas in the region.

when out hunting on a normal year provided i dont also have an elk tag im going to use or get a speed goat tag, i usually have one "buck" tag and two doe tags.......if the weather is cool and i find a doe close to the road im meat hunting(though given so few seem to hunt does, they dont tend to be very spooky so this is more shooting than hunting).....if i see a buck through the binocs i head after him and horn hunt. there are some years i fill both doe tags and not the buck tag cause i refuse to shoot a spike or 3 point just to say i shot a buck and fill the freezer instead of wall space..........weather conditions(i refuse to shoot a doe for meat at 60 plus degrees due to where i hunt and what it would take to cool it down) and what i find where determine weither im hunting horns or meat......nothing else

Last edited by rattler; 03/06/08.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Horns - I hunt for challenge and to spend as much fall time in the woods. If I just wanted meat - my season would be over in 10 minutes.

Me

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
hmmm one tag a year, buck only. Ussually around here the bigger the horns the bigger the body.

If I wanted the first legal buck I can drive the backroads an pop a forkedhorn from the window of my truck.

put me in with the horn hunters.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
meat
BB

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Spotshooter, I've hunter for over 50 years.
Usually bull elk, buck deer..and javelina and lion and bear have no antlers..:)Never shot a cow or doe.

IF I have the choice between a big branch bull elk or the raghorn pulling drag on the perimeter of the herd..I'll kill the big bull.
It's about the hunting and the meat..We don't et antlers or pictures..:) Jim

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only reason I look at antlers or horns is to determine if the buck is legal. I shoot the first legal one I see, period.

The first one that I saw some years ago was a stunning 6x6 mule deer. I dropped him. The antlers sat in my garage for a year, and them I gave them to a guy who makes buttons and knife handles.

But the buck ate real good.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Meat first.

Last edited by AKJD; 03/06/08.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Horns!!!!!
Meat always comes along with 'em.........

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm primarily a meat hunter, but I've found big bull moose if taken care of properly are almost as good as the young ones.

I've never participated in the cow hunts they have right in my back yard, just ain't my gig, and I worry a bit the F&G don't have that scenario nailed down as well as they'd like us to believe.

caribou or sheep hunting, I'm hunting horns, I guess I might kill a legal Dall ram on the last day of a hunt just for the meat, but I might let him walk too, just depends upon my mood and the situation.

I ate too much caribou for awhile and just don't have a hankerin to have a freezer full, but am plannin on taking one or both of my boys on a trip to shoot one or two in the future, we'll probably be trophy hunting.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Doe are for meat Buck are for show....

+1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Always meat for close on to forty years it has always been meat now I am thinking I should go for a couple nice trophys but, meat still comes first.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the meat you can't eat the horns, but I'll let a spike go as I'm not looking for taking a canidate for german shepard of the year award. I'll also qualify that by saying if it's a trophy buck I wouldn't pass him up.

IF it's Elk it's the first legal Bull unless I've drawn a cow tag then it's a cow. But then again we get eight or nine damage control permits for cows so my cousin either gives them to family, friends, handicapped hunters or shoots a couple and gives the meat to senior's who arw handicapped and can't hunt anymore.

Last edited by W7ACT; 03/06/08.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Since I am a trophy hunter first I would have to choose horns first, not just any horns either.....it has to meet my criteria before I trip the trigger, and secondly like I always say God created does so trophy hunters dont go home empty handed.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Trophy backstrap...grin...not gender specific...antlers are for making stuff and we still keep an ample supply in our quest for backstrap...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Meat, horns don't mean much to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. meat 1st legal animal, but will not shoot a yearling. afterwards i look for decent set of horns.

-ken

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Deer - Horns
Elk - Meat

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Meat

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 53 invisible), 1,902 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,875
Posts18,497,647
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.