-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Generally the night before I cook up 2lbs of bacon (good for 4 sandwichs) and add a slice of cheese to each. I always take some sort of hard candy to suck on, butterscotch generally gets the nod. I take at least 4 candy bars, generally nestle crunch bars, the BIG ones, not those little ones. I take 2 canteens, one filled with some sort of fruit juice and the other with water. I am generally in my stand at least 1 hour before sunrise and don't get out till at least 1 hour after sunset and it's cold here in northwestern PA so I make sure I have enough to eat. At 6' 5" and 240lbs and 2 hollow legs it takes a lot of fuel to keep me going, [Linked Image]<P>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Always an apple and a fried egg sandwich (love 'em!) from breakfast. I don't eat much breakfast so I just take my eggs and make a sandwich out of them. Also take jerky, couple small candy bars, and a jug of Gatoraide or similar drink. I think I usually end up drinking more than eating. I have found that staying hydrated is real important for me. <P>------------------<BR>Gotta make the time.....

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Always an apple and a fried egg sandwich (love 'em!) from breakfast. I don't eat much breakfast so I just take my eggs and make a sandwich out of them. Also take jerky, couple small candy bars, and a jug of Gatoraide or similar drink. I think I usually end up drinking more than eating. I have found that staying hydrated is real important for me. <P>------------------<BR>Gotta make the time.....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When Mark went to Alaska I got him Gorp, trail mix, power bars, and these cookies called "Hit!". They are light weight and give you an instant boost. Toons<P>------------------<BR>Don't be ashamed to say what you are not ashamed to think.

Don't be ashamed to say what you are not ashamed to think.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All right I have read all the different stuff to carry. Like a walking grocery store. Now here is the best you will ever get. Weenies and gravy. Boil your weenies in water and chop them up and put them in a baggie. Then make gravy out of the water you boiled the weenines in. Pour this over the cut up weenies in the bag.<BR>When you get a belly full of weenies and gravy you probably won't want any thing to eat for two or three days. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]<BR>Then there is the original fast food. Prunes, for when you need to eat and run.<BR>Strideing down the trail with a belly full of prunes and the sequence is like this<BR> [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubb/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]<P>BCR<P>------------------<BR>A 45 BEATS 4 ACES EVERYTIME

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also an R ah C cola and a Moon Pie is hard to beat.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figured that would kill this thread deader than a hammer.<P>------------------<BR>A 45 BEATS 4 ACES EVERYTIME

Quando Omni Moritati
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Turkey and cheese sandwiches on poboy bread. They doesn't get mashed up as much as regular bread. Cheese crackers and plenty of water. Also a long standing tradition with me and my dad is fudge covered oreos.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can we say JERKY!! That's my favorite pack food. Home made, store bought, it doesn't matter. I love jerky. I also pack pop tarts, though I'm a Smore's kinda gal, I bring hard candy and gum, and popcorn. (not the bag kind) al least you can cook it over a hot fire. Stephanie [Linked Image]<P>------------------<BR>I may be little but this miss knows her deer! smile

I may be little but this miss knows her deer!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DonKnows:<P><B>2 POUNDS OF BACON??!!! What does your personal trainer think of that?? I know that climbing the ladder to a tree stand can be grueling business, but you have got calories to spare! LOL!</B> And to think I was hesistant to admit that I ate donuts and chicken. I love this place....<P>Wade

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boggy, your sequence reminded me of Slamcamp, courtesy of yourself(by proxy) and Mr. Cabela. Im nearly ready for that recipe again. (ps: Jim in Idaho wasn't the only one with burned pants). I took along some plain bagels for re-stabilization! 8ball

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boggy,<P>You have good taste!<BR>An RC Cola and a Moon Pie,followed by a dip <BR>of dental scotch Snuff and I'm ret to go! [Linked Image]<P>Don,<BR>Two pounds of Bacon and four Giant size Candy bars? I see we have a health nut with us [Linked Image]<p>[This message has been edited by littlebit (edited February 07, 2001).]

James
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Waders. It takes a lot of fuel to keep this body going. Your right, it's a gruleing climb up those 12 steps to my stand (grin). I have been the same weight for over 25 years now. It doesn't seem to matter how much I eat. One other point, after cooking the bacon save the fat for cooking "raw fries" the next evening. Raw Fries rule [Linked Image]<P>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah littlebit it is a pleasure to see a fellow connie sewer. Do you think the traffic could stand it if we menitoned ZUZU and rat cheese?<P>8ball the recipe just got sprung on you all sudden like. You sort of have to work up to it. Now that your insides is regulated you are prime for another bait of chili.<BR> [Linked Image] <P>------------------<BR>A 45 BEATS 4 ACES EVERYTIME

Quando Omni Moritati
I make my own trail mix. m&m,cashews,raisins,and sunflower kernels

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Ok, kinda tardy on this one, but I developed this "load" for this last hunting season, then lost the recipe! I just got done re-formulating it, so here it is. One bar for breakfast will get ya to lunch. One for lunch will get ya to diner. Keeps yer legs under ya. If you substitute quick oats, not-stoneground flour or most importantly regular sugar (instead of fructose), you'll get hungry quicker. Those of you with sugar tolerance problems will be able to live on this indefinetly.<P>All Day PB granola bars<P>3/4 C. peanut butter<BR>� C. butter<BR>1 C. granulated fructose<BR>2 T. molasses<BR>1 t. vanilla<BR>1 egg<P>Cream above together �till smooth with mixer<P>3 C. rolled oats (not quick oats!)<BR>1 C. chopped pecans<BR>� C. STONEGROUND whole wheat flour<BR>1 t. salt<BR>1 t. baking powder<P>Mix dry ingredients, then mix with PB mixture. Mix in 1 C. chocolate chips. Press into greased 9x13 pan, bake at 325 for 25 min. Makes 12-15 bars.<P>For more info on "slow" carbohydrates, see "The Glucose Revolution" by Thomas M.S. Wolever M.D. Ph.D., et al. This book is a must for those with sugar tolerance problems, or those who wish to maximize their energy output.<P>Ok, sorry so serious, but I'm done now, and off my soap box (among other things...)<P>John<p>[This message has been edited by J. Calhoun (edited February 16, 2001).]

"If a little's good, a lot's better, and way too much is just right!"
pak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll make some this weekend.Where in AK do you live?pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Pak,<P>Reside in Eagle River. Hunt mainly moose, caribou. But willing to kill almost anything (game) depending on opportunity!<P>John

"If a little's good, a lot's better, and way too much is just right!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boggy, you may have to explain what an R ah C Cola is. Remember, much of the country does not even know that sweet iced tea IS the real tea. JJ and others, Pop Tarts rule! They also CALL DEER. I shot my widest whitetail after I opened a pack of frosted Blueberry. Dropped a half eaten one when the buck came out. It's never worked since then, but I keep trying.<P>For a more substantial snack, peanuts just scratch my itch. Easy to pack and taste great. Plenty of carbs, protein and fat. Wait, who am I kidding? Who cares about nutrition on this thread rife with potted meat and Ho Hos (which I also consume)?!<P>On my next lengthy pack I've decided to take several plastic spoons. These will have been scooped full of crunchy peanut butter and rolled in M&Ms, then clustered into ziplocks. Maybe double ziplocked, if in bear country. I may be able to hide a couple Advil in the goop as well.<P>Dang, time for lunch. Talus

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mr. Calhoun,<P>Do you know Dennis Madriaga? Your name sound's familiar. If you are planning to head to the gun show this weekend, drop me line, or get ahold of Dennis for directions to my house, as I'm having a little get together on Saturday.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (7mm_Loco, 907brass, 808outdoors, 11 invisible), 14,451 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,992
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.