Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I picked up a used Nikon Tactical 2.5-10x44 on a trade recently. It is not tracking properly. There is a 3MOA (12 click) "dead spot" in the elevation knob that causes no movement at all in the relative position of the reticle.

I shipped the scope to Nikon's Warranty repair facility in Torrance California. The scope came with a full lifetime warranty, regardless if you are the original owner.

The scope came back a couple weeks after I sent it. I had it out shooting yesterday. The problem with the elevation was not corrected by the warranty service. Still a 3 MOA "dead spot" in each revolution of the elevation turret.

I guess from here I can try to call someone in charge and raise hell.

Mule Deer, if you know a name/number of anyone at Nikon I should try to contact in regards to this problem, please let me know.

Never should have strayed away from Leupold.

I got this POS on a trade for a Leupy LR 6.5-20 M1. Not one of the more brilliant decisions I've made.

MM

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
MM,

Did they happen to include a list of exactly what repairs they did perform? Sorry you got burned.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not very good for an $800.00 scope!

Good luck for getting it sorted out with Nikon's Service Department.

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
While Nikon generally amkes pretty good stuff, especially binoculars and spotting scopes, their repair/service in the states leaves much to be desired. Not only does it take some time, it can be incredibly disorganized. It is quite possible nobody even read your cover letter, at least based on my experience.

I once returned a spotting scope after Nikon loaned it to me for evaluation. Somehow it did not go back to the stocking department but repair. I got it back in a few weeks, with a note saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it, so had cleaned it and shipped it back to me.

So I packed it up again with another note and shipped it back to the address I'd been given for returns. Once again it somehow ended up in the repair department. This time it took two months to come back--and now they'd enclosed a bill for several repairs. THIS WAS THE SAME DAMN SCOPE THEY HAD GIVEN A CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH TO BEFORE. Now I was kind of ticked off, not to mention out some postage and insurance, so called the PR department, who gave me the personal address of somebody. I shipped it here and thank goodness it never came back again.

This was my worst experience with Nikon, but in general they are the most disorganized optics company I've ever dealt with. The right hand never knows what the left is doing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Nikon Feildscope II ED, after reading this I sure do hope that it never breaks.

People who think they know everything are annoying to those of us who do!!!!
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I've gotten some help from some acquaintances with friends in the right places at Nikon. Nikon has contacted me, and is very apologetic, and most interested in resolving this. They are sending me a new scope. Cannot ask for more than that.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NOW the question is.....

Are you gonna trip the NIB replacement,or give her a fair shake?.........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MM,

I'm glad you've got friends in high places but where does that leave average folks like most of us???

Mule Deer's experiences (and other's) have me wondering about ever purchasing a Nikon product...

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Cheaha,

Really just help from acquaintances at:

http://www.snipershide.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

and:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

A lot of goodwill from people I've never met, other than through forum chat. There are some good folks out there.

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I took the new (replacement) Nikon 2.5-10x44 Tactical for a test drive today, aboard the 30-06. This scope is functioning perfectly.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hooooooaahhhh!

That's good to hear........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Rezeroed the knobs after zeroing at 100 yards. Leaves 58moa "up" available.

JBM suggests that is enough to get my 2900 fps 190MK load out to just over 1400 yards, where it would be going 1091 fps/54.9moa at sea level.

At 4000 ft elevation, out ot 1500 yards/1131fps/56.2moa.

Nowhere around here to test those numbers. But next summer when I get settled in MT, should have some real fun with this.

I guess I'm going to be needin' one of those LRF1200s. Not a bad problem to have (grin)

I'm going to leave the Nikon on the '06. Got the Leupy M3 mounted and zeroed on the .308 today too. It leaves 55moa up. Not too shabby...

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Another thought, those badger bases and rings sure make scope swapping a breeze. MM

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Back in '90 I sent a pair of binoculars back to Nikon for repair/inspection. They sent a note back saying I crushed the binocular housing. Since I pride myself with my level of care, I wrote a lengthy letter back to Nikon explaining the situation. Finally after lots of correspondence they agreed to refund my money or apply a credit to any product they offered.

Since in the letter they said I selected the wrong binoculars for hunting I asked them what they recommended. They recommended their top of line armoured, waterproof model. So I paid the "RETAIL" price difference (huge I might add) and they shipped it out.

When I received them, I immediately inspected them. To my surprise I found the rubber armour was cracking all over. In particular in the area of the objective rim. Thinking that they would blame me for damaging the coating etc. etc., I promptly returned the binoculars and asked for a refund. Upon receipt the Nikon Service manager said I was being ""too picky"" and that cracking in the coating was normal! I said thanks very much, please refund my money.

I did receive my money and since then, I have not purchased another Nikon product.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My guess is,that later that gent went to work for Burris and became their head of "Customer Service".(grin)

BT/DT..................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MM,

Lotsa remaing "up" is a very good feeling.

Just confirmed yesterday,that with a 20MOA shim in the ass of my MK4 1pc base,my 1" 3.5-10x 40mm will grant me 42-ish MOA up on the A5 Ball Buster 308Winny. That milsurp stuff is fun to stretch.

The 1200 is beyond great IMHO,but you knowed that. I'm curious to hear what the future is gonna hold as far as the next generation of Leica lasers? Am thinking it's gotta be good.

Itty-bitty 120 V-Max outta my 22" heavy 7-08,require "only" 36MOA from a 100yd zero to reach 1K. Just might be my favoritest Play Toy,as it don't recoil,is easy to call my own pokes with and is crazy accurate.

Though they aren't a 1K projectile,it's still fun to crank on the Mk 4 10x M1 and lob stuff in there. What a hoot!

Here's hoping your glass does as you wish and keeps doin' it........................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big Stick:

I am surprised you compromise and buy the 1200...

If you think the 1200 is great, you would die if you had a Geovid. MUCH superior. But it is heavy.

The Geovid is the only thing I have used that can measure to 1000 yards consistently, esp in the bright light of AZ.

I have just about one of every LR ever made and for the absolute best, the Geovid wins.

Last edited by LRNut; 11/17/03.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Too big,too heavy,so not practical for what suits me best.............

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I saw some specs on a Leica the USMC is looking into, a little big for personal use and I'm sure the price is over 10K, but good to 10Km, linked to GPS for instant grid determination of target.

I wonder if they will introduce a LRF intended for the civilian market anytime soon that might reach 1600-2000 yards.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gotta happen,gotta happen and my guess would be soon.............

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.