-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad had a trap similar to that set up in the back yard of his lake house. He found it one morning rolled all the way across the back yard and down a hill with one side of the trap ripped out. From the fur we found on the wire we deduced that he had caught a big coon. My BIL had a similar experience with one he caught in his barn.

Judging from the picture your trap may be larger and sturdier than the one my dad used.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Fried Chicken it gets old and starts to smell in a few hours. Canned cat food or sardines, raw fish or oysters any shell fish ect.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have had good luck with eggs.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

hey forget the trap use fly bait and pepsi
bearbeater

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
crawfish.....just came to mind because I'm fixing to go eat some

coons love 'em

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An old trapper told me to mix sardines and peanut butter. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
We heard about using cat food, but all the crew had was tuna fish. (Probably just really expensive cat food...)

It worked quite well. Relocated the coon to the next river basin.

I didn't see a GPS, so I think he's not coming back.

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a kid I always used sardines or tuna fish with stellar results.

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everything above will work just fine if they are not trap wise.

If you decide to go out with the flashlight and rifle get a tape of "baby coons in distress". They may or may not be interested in food, but they CAN NOT resist this tape (or CD). They don't mosey in curious like they would for a dying rabbit tape or a food source--They charge in and try to tear the tape player up. They'll attack each other in it's vicinity, and they'll snarl and growl at you if you approach them with the light and a gun. They'll charge you if you get close enough, and they'll stay on the fight right around the tape player even as you shoot their companions. It's like magic. You won't have to stay out there long either to get a bunch, but you may need to go again every so often as new ones find your feeder.

If there are many around, you may have to empty that have a heart trap every day and still not be able to keep ahead of them.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I'm with Bart,peanut butter.It sticks to the trip plate.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Peanutbutter mixed with a little anise oil, which you can get at any pharmacy. Peaches mixed with eggs and maple syrup works great too, but is messy to work with.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The raccoons who use to live around my house loved old, re-heated PIZZA... its aroma brought 'em in REAL close... made it IMPOSSIBLE to "miss" 'em... God rest their evil, persistent little souls... hehehehe grin

BTW, a "heart/lung" shot using "CB-Cap long" rounds worked REALLLL good on 'coons! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
With all the excellent bait suggestions you are ready for recipes. Quite tasty barbecued or in a stew. Then there is the furs to have made into hats & coats. Bet your wife would love one of those. Just tanned they look cool in your trophy room. I have one.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I love how a bait for coon thread goes 4 pages...grin

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (1936M71, 1Longbow, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,945
Posts18,498,952
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.