-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I recently picked up a LNIB REM 700 ADL 7mm Rem Mag so cheap I can't believe it. I have no use for it as-is but plan to build something with it. I have everything covered from 338WM on down. Initially, I was thinking a 416 Taylor or 375 Ruger but after reading through many different posts, I just don't know. I handload so I am not worried about factory ammo. Will a 375HH fit in this action? Use will be relagated to initially elk/moose then Africa in the future.

The recoil of my 8.5lb 338WM is easy to handle. I did 50+ rounds off the bench when developing loads with 225gr and 250gr bullets and have used it extensively on elk. My thoughts were to covert it to a BDL and put it into a CDL stock. I have a couple of McMs and figured I'd go with wood on this one but may consider an ADL McM. I am open to any ideas...

RH

GB1

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
If you handle the 338 Win Mag well, you wouldn't have any trouble with the 375H&H, but I don't know if it'll fit. The 375 Ruger will for sure. My H&H is much more pleasant to shoot than my friend's 338 A-bolt. A 375 is gonna be hard to beat. They're so versatile, you just can't go wrong.

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by x2mosg
I was thinking a 416 Taylor or 375 Ruger but after reading through many different posts, I just don't know. I handload so I am not worried about factory ammo. Will a 375HH fit in this action?

What about a 375/338 Chatfield-Taylor for something different.

Himmelrr. Of the two you mentioned, I would go with the 416 taylor. It's great wildcat and would be fun to load. I think the H&H will fit in that action. As i have rechambered a 7 mag BDL to a 7 stw which is quit a bit longer. Another cartridge I would personaly consider would be the 404 jeffery. 358mt

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The 416 Taylor gets my vote.
Had one built on a right handed Ruger 77 MkII, but am now building one on a left handed Ruger 77 MkII to my specs.

I really liked shooting the cartridge with 300, 325 and 350 gr bullets...recoil was less than my 338 WM. And since recoil doesn't bother you...
And you can neck up your 338 brass to load for the Taylor!
And when you do get to Africa, it will give you better performance on those mean ol' Cape Buffalo.
I've read very favourable reports on its performance on dangerous game.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 416 Taylor gets my vote as well, I've worked with one a bit and it is one nice and user friendly big bore.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the new 375 Ruger brass, I'd be more tempted to do a
416/375 build than a Taylor.
No more worthless belt.
How bout a three or four barrel, one gun, switch barrel, do all set-up. All on the Ruger case.
30/375, 338/375, 375, 416/375.
One action, one stock, four scopes set up in Leupold QR rings and bases.
Still not as much fun as four separate ones grin
Al

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
coolyepper that ammo should be easy to find in Alaska and in Africa....<g>

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Point taken. But......
Unless things have changed, ammo goes in the gun case. So...
Lose your ammo, no gun to put it in anyway. Moot point.
Now, that's flying to Alaska or Canada. No idea on Africa.
And Taylor ammo is in every store?

Al

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by x2mosg
A 375 is gonna be hard to beat. They're so versatile, you just can't go wrong.

Ditto. I use a .375 H&H for everything so of the 2 you mentioned the .375 Ruger gets my vote.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The H&H case should fit in the Rem 700 no sweat, I think...pretty hard to go wrong with the 375 H&H; but the Ruger is a very good option if you have a 30/06 -length action.

I don't know about anyone else, but for years the rules explained to me at the airport have been that ammo and rifles get bagged seperately; rifles in the case,and ammo in my duffle. Maybe I've been misled.....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
375 Roy.......the ONLY sensible choice (grin)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
sd:Improved 375's are a good thing....I'd send that Remington action to Kampfeld.... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm sure someone's done it already, but the 375 Ruger case necked up to .475 caliber would be sweet. Should be able to get 2500 fps out of a 500g bullet with a 24" barrel.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You really think 2500 fps from that case is possible with a 500 gr bullet?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you're going to just shoot your rifle close to home or else drive to hunt, you can pick just about any cartridge that tickles your fancy.

If you're planning to hunt in Africa or Alaska or BC with this rifle, by all means pick a standard, SAAMI-spec cartridge only. Nothing obscure, and no wildcats. The headstamps on your cartridges must match the caliber designation on your rifle, for one thing, and besides, traveling on the other side of the world with the only possible source of replacement ammo being on your loading bench back home (10,000 miles away) is not exactly what could be described as "logistically smart".

I've hunted Africa many times, and believe me, you can't count on being able to ship your ammo in the same case that you ship your rifle in. Yes, I've done so (exactly ONCE!) but all the rest of the time I've been required to ship my ammo in my duffle, and once I had to secure and lock my ammo in the seperate Plano box that I always place the ammo in in my duffle, and that box was then checked and shipped seperately from both my gun case AND my duffle. These airlines seemingly make up rules as they go along, so you have to prepare accordingly.

Once I had my duffle not show up, so I used same-caliber ammo that I borrowed from my hunting partner. On another occasion, my rifles didn't show up, but a solution was at hand because the owner of the safari company had rifles (in the same standard calibers that I had ammo for) in his personal battery, which he offered to loan for the duration of my safari.

If you think potential glitches such as these don't happen or can never happen to you, guess again........

I believe that either the 375 H&H or the 416 Rem. Mag. will work with your action, and I'd selected either one of them for your project. As a sidenote, the 416 Rem. Mag. will meet and exceed the performance of the 416 Taylor, but it operates at lower pressures in order to equal or exceed 416 Taylor velocities, plus it's well-established in Africa, and it's a standard-SAAMI cartridge. As a bonus, it's super-accurate and very easy to load for and work with.

AD

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If I intended to hunt outside of the USA, I would not opt for a wildcat...Today I see no advantage to a Taylor in any form, nor any reason for its existence, just my opine....

Built on a standard Mauser or M-70 action, the 416/375 Ruger is the only wildcat that I would take a look at, and only because its destined to become a factory round...

The 375 H&H is always an option...The good .416 Rem can be made on the same action as the Taylor and its a factory round, ammo is available world wide and the conversion is not expensive..The round is very little longer than a Taylor and anyone that can't get used to that silly milimeter of bolt throw, can't chew gum and walk at the same time...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'll limit my choices to either 375HH, 375Ruger or a 416REM. I tend towards wanting something a little different but I think I should play it safe since (hopefully) this rig will go Africa. I had myself all but talked into the 375HH but I'm still undecided.

1. What about barrel length? I was leaning towards a 23" Remington magnum contour with NECG sights. I'm still undecided on the barrel maker. I've been happy with my last two from Douglas.
2. Scope will more than likely be a Leupy VXIII 1.75-6x32 in Leupy QR rings.
3. Stock will initially be a CDL or Classic takeoff with a good pad but will eventually be an McM ADL.
4. Also, I'll swap out for a better trigger and have the bolt handle removed and rebrazed like I always do.

Any critiques of the above. Don't worry, I have thick skin.

RH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 71 invisible), 2,868 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,232
Posts18,485,687
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.