-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well amidst yesterdays madness (the dog, and me and some friends installing a woods stove in my house) I received the new Marmot Helium I ordered. I simply dont understand how they made a bag that is so light yet so warm. The new Helium has a full length zipper, a draft collar, protective stips around the zipper to keep form snagging the material when zipping, and plenty roomy enough for big guys, and its wam as heck (layed in it outside last night). I even got in it and sat on the edge of the bathtub and let the shower run on it for about 15 minutes and seriously no water got in it. The shell just rolls the water off the bag. This thing weighs less than 2 lbs. I am quite impressed is about all I can say. I stuffed it into the stuff bag that it comes with and its seriously about the size of two Nalgen bottles made into one, maybe even smaller. I read a really good review about it in the Backpacker mag gear comparisons last month and cant wait to see for myself how she does. Its pretty damn sweet.

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Ah, nothing like the smell of new gear. smile Have fun with the bag and make sure you report your findings after you have given the girl a test drive.

Hunting success is 90 percent hunter, 10 percent weapon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The full length zipper should have been there from the start.

Only Ubergramweenies go for half zippers.

The Bill of Rights is just that. It is not the Bill of Needs as determined by some liberal know it all.

Politicians and diapers should be changed often for precisely the same reason.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like mine a lot. Never had a problem with the half zip but full is probably better. In my sleep I poked my feet under the edge of my Mega lite once and it rained on the bottom 1 1/2 feet of the bag for at least an hour or two, no ill effects.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I did the same test last night that Leadslinger did with pooled water for several hours and was able to pour it/slide it right back into the cup. No water penetrated the new shell material they are using. I was quite impressed, made me wonder why I have been so scared of using down bags.I am still aware of the moisture issue that can develop from the inside out though. I bought a super lightweight sil nylon dry bag and the thing compresses to nothing, looking forward to using it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need to try that test with my WM SDL bag!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The only reason I sold my Stephenson Warmlite bag back in 1970 was the half zip; it saved maybe an ounce and a half, but in warmer weather, I couldn't ventilate it. Now I wonder if Stephenson couldn't have retrofitted a full length zipper, that was a sweet bag.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I've had my Marmot Helium EQ for the last 2 hunting seasons. It is much warmer than the 15 degree rating. Comfortable too and I'm not a small guy. One hell of a bag. Used in the Yukon, Colo., Wyo. etc. Can't believe how warm it is for how small it packs down.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
plenty roomy enough for big guys

What's the shoulder girth dimensions?
I have a heck of a time finding lightweight bags that dont make me feel like Im in a straight jacket. (not that I've experienced that) :-)

KC

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
According to my measurements on their cm specs its 62", though it seems bigger.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1234, 48 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,107
Posts18,502,189
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.