Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
After much deliberation and admiration of the fellow Campfire members who have reported on these fine rifles, I "had" to have one. I'm sure it will be a winner for me. I'm not well educated about wood, so I don't know how to identify Circassian. Nonetheless it is an attractive stock set. I find two "flaws", one the butt stock is "proud" by nearly 1/16" on the side panels. Two, the trigger pull is over 5# on my spring scale, so I'll install a Dave Clements best trigger as I did in my 1B Hornet that was worse. I've temporarily mounted a Leup 3.5-10 from my Hornet. Pics posted and range reports to follow.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mine has the same two flaws, but still love it!

Hank

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
From your pictures, I would say yours has the American Walnut wood.
Let us know how it shoots and what it shoots best. I think you will like it!

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Have you tried ejecting a case with the safety on yet?
I'd bet the case will hit it,and not eject,mine does.
I still love it though,and so will you.
Mike

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What are people having to pay to get an AH? Is there a "premium" when buying the AH? I found in posts here at the 24H that Lipsey's has the rifles. Is having a gun shop contact Lipseys the only way to get one, or are there other sources? I thought it would be easy to get a ball park price, but nothing shows in web searches.

Thanks.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
These are really neat rifles. I don't regret buying mine for a second. Use it and enjoy it. Be sure to give us some range reports.

"He is one of the Legion lost."

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Congratulations, my 25-06 is a #1V. I hope yours shoots as well as mine.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Miketwo
Have you tried ejecting a case with the safety on yet?
I'd bet the case will hit it,and not eject,mine does.
I still love it though,and so will you.
Mike

Mike, off the bench that isn't much of a problem. While hunting though, if you need to do a quick reload it is a problem. What I do is, as I drop the lever to eject the fired case, I tilt the rifle to the right. This seems to cure the problem for me. Some people cut the front edge off the safety button which they say cures the problem, but I have my doubts. Anyway, give the 'right tilt" a try and see if it works for you.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Regarding availability, Lipsey's had 25 rifles last month. The ordering dealer had to have his ffl on file at Lipseys. Price was below manuf. suggested retail. Yes, the ejected case does hit the safety. I have a #3 45-70 on which the prior owner filed off forward edge of the safety to prevent ejected case contact, but, when the safety is "on" the gap in the tang under the safety is exposed and ugly. I really like the appearance of the recessed safety modifications I've seen but guess that is costly. I'd also like to find a stronger lever latch spring to prevent accidental openings and undetected loss of the cartridge which I've experienced while hunting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 222ND, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 12,460 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,269
Posts18,544,912
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.