-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All that said� My Go To Rifle (338WM) has a Composite Stock� In a supreme irony my 338�s original wood stock, ended up on my son�s 30-06� Every time he takes it out I have a pang or regret.
The wood stock has been Glass bedded and has had no problems in rain or �Texas� cold so I would trust it. So much so � my next rifle will have a nice wood stock � So in a short 15 years� I have come full circle.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
GB1

JBD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own and shoot rifles with both fine wood and composite stocks. I much prefer wood and if properly set up a wood rifle stock if fine for almost all situations. By comparison the composite is ugly but hell for tough. If the weather is bad or the going especially tough I prefer the composite to scratching, denting, etc. a fine piece of walnut.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Everyone of my rifles have synthetic stocks. The one that didn't come with them were "upgraded" or the whole rifle was sold and replaced by a stainless/synthetic replacement.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
stainless, synthetic is easy to sell. A nice walnut stocked rifle is a work of art.

MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wood for me, but it has to be properly bedded and sealed to continue working well.

I don't think anyone, in Alaska or Oregon or elsewhere, is going to have trouble with a wood stock sealed with the 'Sitka Deer method' for moisture.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ain't never seen where 'properly bedded and sealed' kept a wood stock from cracking at the wrist when dropped whilst goat hunting. YMMV.....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
None of my guns have wood on 'em. Synthetics are the ticket.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have rifles with wood stocks that are over 50 years old and have no problem. I only have 1 plastic stock and that's all I'll probably ever own. Wood works great for me.

The unarmed man is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ain't never seen where 'properly bedded and sealed' kept a wood stock from cracking at the wrist when dropped whilst goat hunting. YMMV.....

Me neither...'course I don't regularly drop my rifles from high places and expect them to keep on going either. Same with my scopes and open bead sights, both of which I have had break while the wood stocks kept right on going.

HOWEVER, if wrist breakage is a large concern, it can be prevented in almost all cases by simply drilling a hole up through the wrist from under the pistol grip cap, inserting a 1/4" fully-threaded bolt, then dumping epoxy bedding down the hole to fill it all up. Replace the pistol grip cap to cover it all up. That makes the wrist very difficult to snap in half, at least as tough as a synthetic.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't like wood stocks in the field, at least not one-piece wood stocks.

The last one I used for game was the day I shot my first elk. I was hunting the Oregon coast range. I'd checked my sight-in a day or two ahead of the season. The first day I hunted it rained about 4 inches, mean time, I was slogging through wet huckleberry, blackberry, salal, and ferns. I was WET. My gear was WET. That night I got a tip where elk could be found so at daylight I was behind a stump 150 yards from a herd with 4 legal bulls. They were gettin' spooky so rather than wait for the best bull I whacked the first legal bull to step free and give me a shot. I scooched up on the stump and took a real solid rest, put the crosshairs behind his shoulder (broadside shot) and broke his neck with the shot ... my bullet hit almost exactly 18 inches from point of aim.

I wrote it off to "elk fever", but on a whim a few days later I stopped at the range and checked my sights. Nope, at 100 yards I was 12" off from where I'd been less than a week earlier.

Rather than adjust my sights, I left them. Over the course of the next few months, I shot the gun maybe once a month but never touched the scope adjustments. After a few months, as the stock dried, the gun returned to the pre-season point of aim.

And I've never hunted game with another "real" one piece wood stock since. Doesn't bother me to shoot a 2 piece, it doesn't have the same kind of leverage, so for lever actions or single shots, wood is fine. But not on a bolt action. Laminates or synthetics only for me.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,388
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.