Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
ANyone ever use these? I was thinking about getting a pair. From some people I have heard that they are awesome boots, while I have read some reviews on the internet stating that their boots fell apart after a little use.

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have a pair of asolo boots and can say they are very good.I have never had any problems with them and am looking at replaceing my current pair as i have worn the sole flat i`m looking at the fugitive.
Dave

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not the Granite but can say that I've been pleased with the Asolo TPS 535. 4 upland bird seasons on them as well as several backpacking trips and some casual use, wear them to work when we get dumped on. They have held up well and would reccomend them as long as they fit.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I haven't used the Granites, but I have worn out two pair of their FSN 95 GVX, and one pair of their TPS 520 GV's and am currently using their TPS Highland GV's. That's the full leather version of the 520's.
I did all of this in 7 yrs. I do walk a bit.
They fit me better than many. They are wider than many. And have even wider options in selected models.
I really appreciate the softer soles. Helps alot when the rock is wet, etc. They do get eaten up prety fast on hard, rough rock like our Sierra Nevada Granite.
I can't resole them. First, it's pretty expensive. And, second, it doesn't work well any how. I find I break down the inside of the boot too much.
All of mine have been Gore-Tex lined boots. Never got my feet wet in spite of all the creeks, wet meados and run off I've walked through. I use Dalgren socks with them.
I'm not familar with the Granites. If they feel right from the get go, go for it. I've tried some models of Asolos that didn't. Don't go there. Isn't worth it. E

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like Asolo as a general rule and I like the design of the Granite's, though I've not worn them. Are you looking at them at Sierra Trading Post? I noticed they had them for $200.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I bought a pair from Sierra Trading Post a few months ago. If you check their web site daily they occasionally mark them down to $155. If you sign up for their Email list you get an additional 20% off with free shipping. I got mine for $124 plus they sent me a $50 gift certificate.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nicely done bowjack. That is a steal!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks i think i am going to buy a pair.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
This is the type of terrain where a mountaineering boot really shines. A bit too stiff for everyday flatland hiking in my opinion though.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I have a European version of the FSN 85/95's something or another--can't remember the nomenclature on the box. Bought them at Sierra Trading Post for $45--they were an in-store special. Although I had never owned Asolo's before, took one look at them and knew it was a good deal. They felt good so I bought them, figuring I couldn't go wrong. When I got home I found them online in stores in Europe, and they were selling for $180+ on closeout.....so I figured I would at least get my money's worth out of them.

As one guy explained, Asolo tends to build their boots with the European school of thought, stiff soles, long wearing tread.

Unlike E, I find mine to be just a tad narrow across the ball of my foot, but I like a big toebox anyway. My single biggest complaint are the hard tread--slicker than snot on a doorknob on ice--I hit the ground hard this winter.

But I've been wearing them on my daily dog hikes for two winters now, and they are holdinig up very well.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Sierra Trading Post has the Granites for $159 today if anyone is interested. I'm not sure if they are still offering the extra 20% off and free shipping fore signing up for their Email list though.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/se...solo+granite&searchDescriptions=True

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the tip on a good buy. I went to a nearby store and tried on a pair of the Granites. Very stiff, which is great for steep sidehills etc. I'd prefer a little more compromise for approach hikes on trails but they would do.

Two things killed the deal for me. I need a wider size than they offer and I didn't like the ledge that sticks out in front and back, for attaching crampons. I rarely use crampons and the ledge looks to me like it will stub and catch on rock edges, etc. in bad places. It is higher from the bottom of the sole but similar to the way the soles extend on Norwegian(?) welt boots.

They are a great buy if they fit and you like them.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Well I bought a pair. Been breaking them in. Seem to be good boots. One question thou. Do you guys pout anything on the leather, like wax or conditioner, or water proof treatment stuff?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have always used nikwax.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 17,178 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,878
Posts18,538,074
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
5 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.