Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I think that is a pretty much for gone conclusion that you should not try to create wounded birds.

I've seen exactly what you speak of with a very young pup only 3 months old, took a spur right in the end of the nose. I'm not sure that dog was ever gonna recover from the fear it had of a rooster

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Try as we might, wounded birds are inevitable.
My lab Heidi is a smart one- over the years, she has learned to grab wounded birds around the back, feet well away from her face. It's kinda fun watching her pin down a cripple and get her hold just right.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Like a python swallowing a warthog head first.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
7 1/2's no more than 1 1/8 oz. 2 3/4 in. loads and open chokes for put and take birds. Now those wild roosters in the back yard might require a little more weight. I've had to use nontoxic shot in my favortite hunting areas for the last couple of years and I've grown fond of 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz. #2 Federal high speed steel for wild pheasants using imp. cyl. and modified chokes.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bighorn, I watched bushman do that on the first bird I shot yesterday, I thought about this post. The He did it twice more, no longer a fluke! Funny how they have this programmed in, or seem to just figure it out so fast.

We had a good day, three hunters fifteen roosters 13 pointed, to jumped ahead of him. Another one was lost after being winged by the shooter, and it flew a 1/2 mile. We went over to the location looking for it, and he pointed it again. The Hunter got right behind bushman, he kicked it up, then he shot all three shells missing it every time. We never saw it again after that! One lucky Rooster as the shooter nailed every bird before and after that one, just a fluke of shooting into a very heavy wind I guess.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sounds like you had a great day! Next thing the dog develops is 'The Look'.
Nothing is quite as humbling as the look your dog gives you if you or one of your buddies miss a bird they've put up for you...

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.