Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I am going to purchase a water purification device for use by 3-4 people. Need to carry something for backpacking and I am in need of some advice bases on usage.

Thanks, John

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Timely topic, my old MSR is now obsolete, I can't buy filters for it anymore.

My question is, are the streams more polluted now than when were were hikeing in the 60s, or were we just lucky? I had never heard of giardia until the late 80s, and bought my first water filter in the early 90s. I do all my backpacking in the Northern Rockies, mostly where there is no livestock other than the occasional pack horse. How much of a gamble would it be to go without a filter? Like I said, I drank right out of streams and lakes in the High Sierra for 20-30 years without a worry, was I just lucky?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as filters go I like the KATADYN Hiker pro.
It weighs 11oz. and has adapters to fit camel baks or Nalgene bottles. Simple, light, and it works.

As to water pollution I dont know.
I do know that I had "beaver fever" once and I DO NOT want it again.
For me it didn't come full force till I had been home for a couple days. If a guy got it in a remote area he would be miserable, and could be in REALLY deep $hit. Literally and figuratively. :-)

KC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have only used the SweetWater and the Pur Hiker. I like the Hiker better (now manufactured by Katadyn). I use it exclusively on solo hunts, but I think it could accomodate 3 or 4.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For a group of 3 or 4 a pump model would work, but I'd be looking hard at some of the gravity fed models. Pumping water for 3-4 guys sucks...

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Glacier_John

My question is, are the streams more polluted now than when were were hikeing in the 60s, or were we just lucky? I had never heard of giardia until the late 80s, and bought my first water filter in the early 90s. I do all my backpacking in the Northern Rockies, mostly where there is no livestock other than the occasional pack horse. How much of a gamble would it be to go without a filter? Like I said, I drank right out of streams and lakes in the High Sierra for 20-30 years without a worry, was I just lucky?

Yes, you were lucky as far as the Sierras goes. As long as I can remember range cattle inhabit the wilderness areas all summer long as high up as 11,000 ft. It sucks having to pack a filter unless you know some water sources where they emerge from the granite. I've done it both ways and since I may not know where my next water source will be I pack the filter.

I want to maximize my hunting experience so I pack a PUR hiker, I got sick one time and have had several friends become sick. I have drank unfiltered water from creeks and never had issues but it only takes one time. I also witnessd a whole camp become stricken while hunting SE Idaho, due to the camp chief pumping water from the creek (Crow Creek) into his RV's water tank.

MtnHtr

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Guys, I went with the Katadyn Hiker Pro

I'm thinking it will work for me and the kids

Thanks for the good advice

Moosejaw has 20 percent off one item so I got it for 59.96 delivered

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
PG,

The Hiker Pro is a great unit, the unit is dependable and fairly compact. Pumps reasonably fast too. Disassemble the unit when you get home and let the unit dry out, then reassemble/store for the next outing.

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't use a purifier but also never drink from any outdoor water sources. Aquamira water treatment is extremely easy to use, lighter, and takes up less space than any filter I know of. Having sediment in my water doesn't bother me as long as I know its safe to drink. Here is a link talking about it Aquamira

I learned of Aquamira from a hardcore backpacking friend. He has moved on to a new product but I don't know the name.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using chlorine dioxide for years....great stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too am looking for something to fill a niche. I have a Guide Pro pump model from Katadyn but I only use it for hunting the low lands, in the mountains sheep hunting I drink directly out of the creeks with no filtration and have for years (I know its not genius but it plain works) but I have been on top of some mountains where I find standing pools of water in the terraferma and I would like to be able to drink it but dont want to carry my Guide pro to do so and no better than to drink standing water without filtration of some type. Probably need to check out some of these pills that are out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chlorine dioxide can improve the taste often as well. A coffee filter isn't a bad supplement, to get the chunks out...considering it doesn't weigh anything....

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I also use the aqua mira drops, the area I hunt has clear springs so sediments aren't an issue. This year I'm also going to use a straw filter from the same company and see how it works.
For many years of creek boating here in the northwest we drank straight from the source without any ill effect.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Another happy aqua mira user..... I drank water without a filter or pills for awhile too, I only got sick once, but it was bad enough that I dont want it again.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm going to try those tabs on certain hunts. I've carried a pack of 'em but they might be expired. Any known side effects?

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
Chlorine dioxide can improve the taste often as well. A coffee filter isn't a bad supplement, to get the chunks out...considering it doesn't weigh anything....

How does waiting 4 hours to drink it work? Thats what has always kept me from using em.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

How does waiting 4 hours to drink it work? Thats what has always kept me from using em.

If one is constantly on the go or in transit then a filter is the way to go.

I'm guessing if you get to a base camp then use the tablets for larger quantities of water. Just pack enough good water to hold you over until you arrive at a base camp. Kinda sucks one would have to wait around 4 hours to sip some water. Then again, the 4hr wait time is only if crypto is suspected. I think .5hr is okay for the other bugs.

I'm going to try the tabs this year for a certain hunt area.

MtnHtr

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
the new MSR hyperflow
http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/hyperflow.asp
is supposed to be the new thing at 7 ounces and supposed to pump 3 liters per minute. not sure if its available yet though and it looks like its expensive at $99. its alot faster than most other filters though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have pumped 12 gallons though my Sweetwater in about 40 minutes for a crew of six. The new MSR Hyperflow will pump that amount of water in half the time, but I don't know how reliable it is. The Sweetwater is very reliable, I have pumped at least 250 gallons through mine so far, including out of black goo in a spruce bog.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
M
map Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have been thinking about buying a filter for sometime now. Where I live we dont have the wilderness that others are so
lucky to have. All of our steams and creeks have a stale taste
to them and I was wondering if a filter would remove the taste.
thanks
map

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 2ndwind, 56 invisible), 6,413 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,827
Posts18,536,986
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.