Print Thread
Hop To
J
jonz Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I'm considering buying a used revolver. I'm mostly a rifle guy, but have a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum that I shoot occasionally. I'm not looking for anything to carry concealed in society, but more for a lightweight revolver to carry during extended hikes in the woods or for big game scouting during open small game seasons. This would be in northern NY, so while there are black bears, I generally don't worry about them.

Along my way of thinking, a 38 revolver would fit my needs quite well. I've also considered something along the lines of a Smith 19 or 66 or a Ruger SP101 so I would have 357 mag capability as well.

On the other hand, all I really want is a revolver that's lighter than my Blackhawk, and doesn't recoil as much, so that shooting is fun and enjoyable.

I went to a local gun shop the other day and they had a couple of Smith and Wesson 38 revovlers labelled K5, which I assume to be be K frame? These had fixed sights so are they model 10's? They had about 4 inch barrels and noticeable external wear, which wouldn't turn me off if they are mechanically sound and a good choice. The price was certainly right at about $200.

Right next to them were a couple of Colt 38 revolvers labelled M&P, which I would take to be Military and Police? How do these revolvers rate? They were both marked at about $250 and in slightly better shape externally.

As I stated above, I just want a dead reliable revolver that is fun to shoot, so I can shoot it a lot and lightish in weight so I can easily carry it on my backpack hip belt. I don't care about the external wear, if they are sound designs. Basically, I'd like some advice on solid revolvers, and if these aren't good choices, what are? Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Colt did not make an M&P, S&W did. Colt did make an Official Police, that is a very good .38 revolver. The S&W model 10 is one of the all time classic .38's and were carried by more police officers than any other 38 revolver.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

J
jonz Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
The price tags on the Colts were labeled M&P, so I would guess it's mismarked. Is the Colt Official Police actually stamped with than moniker? Likewise, is the Model 10 actually stamped "Model 10" or are there any distinguishing characteristics of this model? Thanks for your comments.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Colt will have it's "name" on the left side of the barrel, Police Positive Special, Cobra, Detective Special, Official Police, Trooper, ad infinitum all their models.

The S&W will have a number designation on the frame inside the crane opening IE: 10- something, 15, 19 ad infinitum all their numbered models, the pre-numbered guns are called Hand ejectors and you need to know what you are looking at to determine their pedigree. Hope I didn't muddy the creek too bad with that explanation. smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

J
jonz Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks T Lee,
You didn't muddy anything and made things a lot clearer than they were before I posted. A couple more questions, are the pre-numbered guns still considered decent enough or solid enough for regular use? Can +P loads be fired in all of these models?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All the S&W hand ejectors (named or numbered) are good solid guns and regular use with standard ammo will not hurt them. The early ones are not designed for constant use of +p as it will hammer the older metallurgy pretty fast, OTH 6 will probably not hurt that gun.

Old cat turd!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (1_deuce, 300_savage, 17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 36 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,567
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.