Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
you are missing Joe's point. He owns the biz in question, and has said he does not really give a scheit if the folks eat there or not. smile It is HIS business. If he chooses to diminish his potential for total success, its no one's concern but his.
Exactly.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sam, evidently you missed my point, or I wasn't clear on it. I "Totally" agree with Joe! My point concerned the dissenting member of the Commission on Human Relations panel, he seemed to be concerned that the sign would discourage non English speaking members of the community from doing business there. My point being, if they couldn't read the sign, how could they be discouraged, and even if they could, it is "Joes" business. Almost all business decisions relating to "so called" discrimination are made based on morals and/or the bottom line and are very seldom based on race or ethnicity.

Jim Berry

Last edited by freestate101; 03/21/08.

Your right to live in a free society should be based solely on your willingness to defend it! Retired Military Vietnam Vet.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
yes, I see your point now Jim.

Its amazing how convoluted things can get, when you allow government to have power over private issues.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think his business is going to be diminished as a result of his taking this stand at all....

Please don't feed the trolls!
P
P
What language is the Constitution written in?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pipefitz
AMEN!!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What language was the Bible originally written in?

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Age of Consent (formerly Maser)

If I understand correctly the Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub

If I understand correctly the Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek.

Thanks! And do we as American Christians speak in ONLY them languages? I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just trying to make a point.

1.) I'm American

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The link quoted "But critics argued that the signs discourage customers of certain backgrounds from eating at the shop."

So, they can eat somewhere else! There is no rule that they must eat there.

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

I believe that the Old Testament was mostly written in early Hebrew except for some short chapters written in Aramaic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
My grandparents on my dad's side came to New York City from Catania Sicily in the early decades of the 20th Century. They spoke just enough English to pass a citizenship test, but only spoke Sicilian in the home, so my dad was raised till he was six only speaking Sicilian dialect, since he lived in Little Italy where everyone spoke Italian or an Italian dialect. When he went to first grade, that was his first exposure to English. No special accommodation was made for him. He was simply placed in a class full of English speakers, and by the end of the year, my dad was speaking English like everyone else. That's the way it used to work. It's called total immersion. The problems started when they started accommodating foreign languages in the schools with special classes in those languages and providing translators for the kids.

Im with you Hawkeye! For anyone to profess, or imply America is not an English speaking nation, knows nothing I suspect about America....Read, I bet their parents, or even probably them, werent born here. Frankly, I am fed up with all the yoyo's who think we are obligated to accomidate their language in our schools. BS They can learn english like the rest of us.

They can also leave their traditions at home, we have our own. It's real simple, if you moved here to be an American, great, welcome, but if you came here to make us like your country...go home, we don't want you. GET IT!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks! And do we as American Christians speak in ONLY them languages? I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just trying to make a point.

Well as long as we are making points, you make the correlation that some who don't go for the gay movement don't because of "hatred" for gays.

Now people who believe people who come to this country should learn English do so because of "hatred" for non-speaking English people.

You picking up on the whole "hatred" argument that has been ingrained into your education?

I work with hundreds of guys who can't speak English, I don't "hate" them, but I think they should learn the language of the land.

Have a gander at this bit of "hatred"

English Woes

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
When I'm in Mexico or Central American countries, I speak Spanish, as expected. When I'm in the states, I speak English, as expected. I don't expect citizens of contries where English isn't the OFFICAL language to accomodate me. This is the United States of America, and while the liberal do-gooders refuse to make English the official language, it's sure as hell the default, and unoffical language of commerce.

Wayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I kind of get a big kick out of the whole "this is America so speak English" thing seeing as America doesn't have a default language. I'm not an expert at the Constitution, but am I right? I don't remember ever seeing that English was the official language of America. And besides, we don't speak English, we speak American. Don't believe me? Head to the UK and see if the REAL English speakers speak the same way as we do here in America. smile

I got a funny "speak English" story to share with you guys and gals.

See, I never really understood the hatred to non-English speakers because I speak both English and Spanish so I'm pretty much good to go. However, a couple months ago I had an incident at my local donut shop. I love to go there at 4am and get some freshly made donuts. The shop used to be owned by a very nice Irish family, but then got taken over by a Korean family. Not that I minded because that didn't stop the donuts from flowing. However, these people had probably the worst case of English butchering in their speech I have ever heard. I mean all I wanted was a devils food donut and these people just weren't getting it. I came so close to just hoping over the counter and grabbing my donut and putting my two quarters in their cash register. After that, I finally understood what you non-Spanish speaking Americans were having to go through whenever people only spoke Spanish.

Scary to imagine if they where down on their luck and where demanding your wallet. A guy could get get killed not speaking the language.

Last edited by kciH; 03/21/08.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Religion has little to do with nationality. In fact the Christian religion is explicitly international, i.e., universal. Being an American, on the other hand, is not. So, what's your point again?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Originally Posted by Pipefitz
AMEN!!!

If I remember my American History right, we were one vote short in the Congress from adopting German as our language, or so the legend goes. We were in fact one vote short of getting around to considering having all official Government documents in both English and German...back about 1794.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
So, what's your point again?

My point is about America in general. Do we or do we not have "in God we trust" on our currency? Do we or do we not have "God" in the Pledge? America was founded upon Judeo-Christianity right? Well, like I stated already, the Bible was NOT originally written in English. So I think that religion DOES fit into this argument.

I know it may seem like an odd understanding, but think of it this way. It's kind of a double standard to be American and say English is America's official language just because the Constitution is written in English, but then claim to be Christian and not know how to speak Hebrew or Aramaic which is what the Bible was originally written in. See my point?

1.) I'm American

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Maser...You think what?
I know there are a very few here that feel like they need to protect you from mean Kahunas that call BS on everything you post...I don't get it personally because you are a stupid child but...Your argument about the Bible and English is moronic at best...The statement "You are in America,speak American" escapes you...Speak Spanish...You'll go far...NOT!!!

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I kind of get a big kick out of the whole "this is America so speak English" thing seeing as America doesn't have a default language. I'm not an expert at the Constitution, but am I right? I don't remember ever seeing that English was the official language of America. And besides, we don't speak English, we speak American. Don't believe me? Head to the UK and see if the REAL English speakers speak the same way as we do here in America. smile

I got a funny "speak English" story to share with you guys and gals.

See, I never really understood the hatred to non-English speakers because I speak both English and Spanish so I'm pretty much good to go. However, a couple months ago I had an incident at my local donut shop. I love to go there at 4am and get some freshly made donuts. The shop used to be owned by a very nice Irish family, but then got taken over by a Korean family. Not that I minded because that didn't stop the donuts from flowing. However, these people had probably the worst case of English butchering in their speech I have ever heard. I mean all I wanted was a devils food donut and these people just weren't getting it. I came so close to just hoping over the counter and grabbing my donut and putting my two quarters in their cash register. After that, I finally understood what you non-Spanish speaking Americans were having to go through whenever people only spoke Spanish.

Jeez, ...that sounds almost as intense as fighting an MS13 type to the ground,.......he running "wets" througha decent cattle ranch,

You,...are behaving exactly like what most figured you would,.....

given the chance to excel,....FAILED,.....a little loud mouthed prick / spic.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (19rabbit52, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 3,162 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,622
Posts18,533,135
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.