Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2104251 03/23/08
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What's on the menu for Easter dinner? Having brown sugar glazed spiral ham, home made manicotti and gnocchi(Mom-in-law made those)au gratin tater's, stuffed artichokes, spinach salad and many desserts.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We had a Honey Baked ham a few weeks ago, so we are having some two inch thick 12 ounce Sirloins. Baked potatoes, Caesar Salad (a real one, made correctly), crusty bread, and a bottle of Crane Lake, California Merlot.

Dessert will be a plate of my home made Madeleines, along with macerated blueberries and strawberries. Amaretto Coffee with whipped cream to follow, along with some VSOP Brandy.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Caesar Salad (a real one, made correctly),

When you get a minute, would you detail that for me/us?

War Damn Eagle!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Venison roast with mashed potatoes and gravey, carrots, coleslaw. Warm baked cheesebread and butter.
I am grateful this day for all that I have been given.

Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
What's on the menu for Easter dinner? Having brown sugar glazed spiral ham, home made manicotti and gnocchi(Mom-in-law made those)au gratin tater's, stuffed artichokes, spinach salad and many desserts.

I can't decide between PB&J or Pizza grin

I'm working today so no sense in cooking for myself when I get home.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Caesar Salad (a real one, made correctly),

When you get a minute, would you detail that for me/us?

+1 Sam...please.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jim, the Caesar salad is supposedly named after Caesar Cardini, a restaurateur down on Tijuana Mexico.
This is how Julia Childs said it should be put together:
18 to 24 crisp, narrow leavs from the hearts of two heads Romaine lettuce, or a package or Romaine hearts, (about a pound)

One cup homemade plain toasted croutons
One large Garlic clove, peeled
1/4 cup or more, best quality Olive Oil
Salt, freshly ground pepper
One large, raw egg
One whole Lemon, halved and seeded
Worchstershire Sauce
Two Tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese

Peel off the outer leaves, and use the inner, crisp Romaine leaves. Allow 6 to 8 pcs per person. Wash, and dry the leaves.

Crush the garlic, and mince it. Mix with Kosher salt, using the flat of your chef's knife. Pour about a Tablespoon of Olive Oil on the garlic and salt, and mix well.
Heat this mixture in a small saute pan. Add a little more oil, and the crutons. Toss to coat, heat until the croutons start to color, and remove from the heat.

Have a coddled egg ready. Bring a pan of water to simmer, add the egg, and cook just over a minute. Remove from the water.

Assemble the salad
Rub a clove of Garlic on the inside of a large bowl, and place the Romaine leaves in the bowl. Drizzle with Olive Oil. Toss to coat.
Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and fresh ground Black Pepper. Toss again.
Add the Lemon juice and a few drops of Worcestershire Sauce. Toss once again.
Crack the Coddled Egg, and drop it into the salad greens. Using your fork to break up the egg, mix it into the greens.

Add the Croutons and the grated cheese. Some folks like to add in several Anchovy filets at this point, and mix them in as well.

Arrange the leaves on the individual salad plates, and top with the Croutons.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks! Sounds good. Funny, I've never known that recipe. Also funny how "Caesar Salalds and Dressings" pass for that commercially when they don't remotely resemble it.

I've never coddled an egg. What will or should the consistency be? Sounds like it should be essentially raw in consistentcy.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
correct Jim, a coddled egg is just barely warmed, and the white is just starting to congeal. Fresh eggs are essential, and if the egg is more than about a week old, the whites will thin out. With a fresh egg, the whites will thicken and form around the yolk.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smoked Pork Loin - sprinkled with Worchestershire Sauce then rubbed with Garlic Festival Mesquite seasoning - wrapped in foil for a day and a half in the fridge.

Smoked Chicken Breasts - marinated in Ken's Garlic/Herb marinade for a day and a half.

Bottom Round of beef - marinated in Ken's Mesquite Marinade for the same period of time

Smoked with mesquite for several hours at 225 degrees until proper temp was reached for each type of meat.

Scalloped potatoes baked in heavy cream with gruyere cheese.

Sauteed green beans with sliced garlic and almonds

green salad

whipped sweet potatoes

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,639 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,824
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.