Print Thread
Hop To
L
laker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
What is your favorite tent stove? Why? I was thinking about getting a Riley Stove with the Pellet option but im not sure if it is worth spending almost $500 on one with the Pellet option. Is there any other company that makes a Pellet Burning stove for a tent?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite stove is just a simple sheepherder's stove.
As for why, it's lightweight makes it possible to be packed in.
It is compact, all the parts fit nicely into the stove housing.
It's simple, and heats the tent up. What else could a guy want?

KC

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like the Kni-Co brand that Cabela's sells.

I wore out my second tent stove about 122 years ago and bought an Alaskan. It has been good enough that I bought another stove two years ago when we got our second wall tent.

I will use one of their little ones for my tipi when I get it together also.

They are made in Wallowa, OR and have several nice features. The biggest ones:the accessories work from stove to stove and they all come with nesting pipe.

We cache our camp in a ways and come back later so their low base price in case of loss is a factor as well.

http://www.kni-co.com/

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Lake,

The reiley stove is a light weight stove I ordered one with my tent this last season, I was not happy with it as it just didn't look like it would hold up for very long. I bought a cylinder stove I think the link was provided in the post a couple above this one. Quality seemed to be very good but needed a little attention on a couple of occasions. It burnned great for the first few hours then after that it seemed to cool down it'ed still be going in the morning but temps were way down. Also make sure that there is nothing that is flamable close to the stove as the pellets some time fall out of the burnner We had a little excitement one night We woke up one night to a pretty good sized fire going in the corner of the tent (NEVER PUT GARBAGE SACKS IN THE CORNER BY THE STOVE) What had happened is we had put a piece of ply wood under the stove because the pellets that fell out of the stove would burn aholes in the blue tarp we used as a floor, well a pellet fell out and rolled on the plywood and came to rest against the trash bag (NOT COOL) I woke to flames about 2-3 feet id the air. Fortunately we had our 6 Gal. water cans inside the tent to keep the water frem freezing got it put right out with very little damage to the tent about 3 feet of sod cloth and a tan spot on the door end of the tent. Very Luckey.

I know long story but there it is.

Later Dave
IC B2

L
laker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Can someone show me a link to the cylinder stove website that says they have the pellet option because i went all over their website but couldnt seem to find it? Im sure it was right in front of my face but i cant seem to find it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought my tent from Bussard. They sell them, and I believe they show the pellet option on their site.
Google "rdbussard" and you'll get to their site

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I second Dancing Bear on the Kni-Co Alaskan. I have all the accessories and everything packs inside the stove. I highly recommend the Stack Robber they sell as the spark arrestor is inside the tent and easier to get at than one on top of the smoke stack. I bought a heavy duty nylon duffel from Cabelas to store and transport it in. It makes it easy to lash on a pack animal if needed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a cylinder stove and just looked at the website to see how much the pellet feeder/hopper thing costs and couldn't find it on their site. Anyone know if they are still offering them?

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just talked to Cylinder stoves and they have put the pellet burner back in R&D. Maybe this summer she said.

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm getting my first canvas wall tent this year so here are some questions regarding stoves................Every one uses a wood burning stove. Is there a reason not to use a propane stove if you are driving to the camp site? Do they cause condensation inside the tent? Any dangers?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't know that I'd use propane. We typically use a kerosene stove like this in the wall tent:

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11708106/Kerosene_Heater.html

Although we keep things vented pretty well. Gotta fire it up and shut it down outside, that's when they smoke a bit. Other than that, we've never had a problem. Never tried it in crazy-cold 40 below type stuff (or worse), but we've never had a condensation problem in typical Col. Oct-Nov temps. I keep meaning to get a CO detector to help prevent dain bramage...

SD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything that can be packed in and has a flat top conducive to cooking if needed.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Thats All she Wrote

Where is that wascally Wapiti?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1234, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 260Remguy, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 18,719 guests, and 1,401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,946
Posts18,539,368
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.