Print Thread
Hop To
W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Guys, just wondering how to remove the "bushing" in the forend where the screw fits on a 99F. Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wiktor,

Hi! Am having a hard time figuring why you would want to but none of my business either.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok, now you've opened a can of worms. That's a very very very very pain in the azz. Use a really small (1/16 or smaller) punch and very carefully punch the escutcheon out from the inside of the forearm. Careful careful careful that you don't ding up the escutcheon or ding up the wood. A hard to find part and a real pain in the azz to get out of the forearm.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was going to keep my mouth shut, but since others have replied, I have to agree with both replies. I think the chances you can get it out (unless it's already loose) are slim to none without damaging something. Honestly, best to leave it alone.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wiktor

It's Extremly Easy!!!!!!!!! grin
LEAVE IT ALONE! grin
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
IC B2

W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the reply's Guys! I need to either touch up the finish or refinish the forend on this rifle. Someone put on sling swivel's and they're crooked and there is a very slight crack from the swivel screw.I thought it would be easier by removing the piece but I'll just work around it.Glad I didn't try to remove it.I honestly can't handle looking at that crooked sling swivel!I figure I can drill and then center the existing hole with a 1/4" forstner bit and cut a 1/4" plug from some walnut that closely matches the original.Center everything up and replace the swivels with swivel studs.This is the F I've been hunting with and is a shooter in decent shape but not really a collector.Just want to fix what Bubba did!

Last edited by wiktor; 04/04/08.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Your game plan sounds perfect! I've done lots of things to these lever guns but messing with that end of it is not a place I would go.

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
just my thought but i would thread a longer screw in from the bbl channel and lightly tap it out? in theory it should be easy.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That would work if they were threaded but they're not. They're basically just a tiny washer to keep the screw from turning into the wood as its tightened.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
often times when removing a bushing and escutcheon the wood splinters. if someone can figure out how to support the forearm while tapping the part out...

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My bench vice has wooden jaws, battered and oil soaked. I close them to the diameter of the escutcheon, put a tapered punch through the escutcheon till it stops, hold the fore end perpendicular to the opening to support the end grain of the hole, and carefully tap it out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The escutcheons are fairly thin and made of brass. The only trouble with using a tapered punch from the topside (and this is the best way to go about it) is that if the escutcheon it the LEAST bit tight, the tapered drift could cause the bushing to swell and make the process even more difficult. I stand by the first piece of advice given. If possible, leave it alone. Move away from that rifle with the hammar and punch.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had two swivel holes filled by a gent that was a master furniture repair technician. He used the shellac sticks and matched up the color and even the darker grain lines. Only a real scrutinizing examination would reveal those "patches". Unfortunately he retired and moved off. You might contact furniture repair shops locally to see if they have an artisan that can repair blemishes. Don

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
It sounds like the correct removal tool would be two diameter punch. I'd guess that would be easy to make on a lathe.

Tim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bubba, Bubba, Can't you hear my heart beat???? You're the one I love!!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You've done it now, I've spit the coffee all over myself. Now that is funny.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Tut, tut, the damage is already done, you're not a bubba if you're fixing someone else's mistakes.

Tim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by confused
Tut, tut, the damage is already done, you're not a bubba if you're fixing someone else's mistakes.

Tim

Wiktor stated:

Thanks for the reply's Guys! I need to either touch up the finish or refinish the forend on this rifle. Someone put on sling swivel's and they're crooked and there is a very slight crack from the swivel screw.I thought it would be easier by removing the piece but I'll just work around it.Glad I didn't try to remove it.I honestly can't handle looking at that crooked sling swivel!I figure I can drill and then center the existing hole with a 1/4" forstner bit and cut a 1/4" plug from some walnut that closely matches the original.Center everything up and replace the swivels with swivel studs.This is the F I've been hunting with and is a shooter in decent shape but not really a collector.Just want to fix what Bubba did!

Now correct me if I'm wrong. wiktor has stated that he thought it would be easier to remove the escutcheon than it would be to work around it. The Bubba'd problem is the poor job of swivel installation. Now he would surely join the ranks of bubba if he did further damage to the stock at his own hand trying to remove that bushing. Maintaining the integrity of the Savage is one thing, but inflicting your own breed of destruction attempting to something you're not sure will work in the first place is ignorance. He asked for advice and we gave it. Another avenue to follow would be to acquire another forend and leaving the matching one as it is.

W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the information Guys! I asked the question in the first place so as not to "Bubba" the rifle.I'll leave the escutcheon alone and work around it.I figure being a woodshop teacher for 26 years ought to help me out as far as the wood working involved in this. In fact, I just got in a load of black walnut today!!

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,343
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.