Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
We're doing our best to housebreak our new pup but after she "goes" outside the first time she'll go again a few minutes after she comes back in. We're taking her out constantly and I'm even taking her back out a couple minutes after she goes the first time so she has a "2nd chance". We've only been doing this a couple days so hopefully the repetition will kick in but if anyone has any housebreaking tips/info they'd care to share, I'd appreciate it.

Any ideas???

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Monitor or confine. In other words, watch her at all times, and if you can't either keep her outside or in a crate. It won't take long. HTH, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm about a week and half into this very thing. Mine does exactly the same thing. She's a "dribbler". We've made progress, and the accidents are far fewer than those first few days.

We don't confine Tess when people are up and around, but she does get confined to a crate when we leave the house and at night. About five more pounds and then I'll trust the fence to hold her. Then the crate will only be for nighttime. When she's loose, you just have to watch her constantly and put her out frequently. The books say after a nap, after eating, after playing--which is pretty much about every hour or so. I also go out with her and make sure she goes several times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dutch
Monitor or confine.

It's really neither more, nor less, than that. You just have to stay on a pup like a tick until they have the idea, and the ability, to hold their water (& etc.).

The only helpful tips I would add are: 1) get the pup on a schedule ASAP, and; 2) make one adult family member responsible for seeing to the housebreaking chores. My wife and I do it like handing off the watch. If I have to go out to the store, or take a nap before work, I formally give her the pup on a leash and give her the details of where the pup stands in his day (i.e., he ate 45 minutes ago, relieved his bladder 2X since then, and had a small bowel movement--he played hard for 15 minutes and should need another walk PDQ). That way there are no arguments about who was suppose to be watching the little devil.

Housebreaking is about the easiest thing you can teach a puppy--and it's IMO the hardest work you do with a pup. It's easy in the sense that a normal puppy doesn't really have to learn anything. They want to keep their areas clean, and only require sufficient opportunities to succeed. It's hard in the sense that it is labor and attention intensive. The first few weeks is pretty grueling and I always feel like I am spending more time outside, walking the pup in circles, than I spend inside. That's why I prefer getting a pup in spring or early summer.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (32_20fan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 22 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,663
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.