Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have expeience deer hunting with Bowlin camps? What kind of deer hunting can I expect in the Patten area? I have mostly hunted PA, WV, NC. Thanks for the help.

www.bowlincamps.com

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have no experience with The Bowlin Camp but I have hunted that area. You will not see lots of deer, like PA. those are big woods with limited agriculture if any. What you probubly won't see are a lot of guys. This is the place where you might go a solid week and not see any deer, but there are a few monsters to..

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have hunted a couple hours North of there, and the deer population is quite thin (about 2 deer per square mile if I recall correctly). Maine deer are typically big bodied, but have smaller racks than states with more AG. The terrain is rather flat compared to the western part of the state, where I do most of my hunting. The last few seasons it seems like the rut has been later and later (~4th week in Nov). Most deer here are harvested within 100 yards, but some people look over fields and clearcuts. Good luck.

Ready, Fire, Aim
MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies. I am not set on hunting at this particular camp. Are there some better areas or outfitters you would suggest. Can't afford to do Saskatchewan at $5000 you know. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
MGunns...you might want to consider a Manitoba hunt..they are less expensive than Saskatchewan and Alberta deer hunts..but more expensive than a Maine hunt

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have an old contact in the area. He has a guide license and may be able to add some information. I can see if he is willing to talk.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I live about 2 hours north of there. Its going to be a tough year for deer hunting due to the winter. IF&W is predicting up to a 30% winter kill. We still have over 3 feet on the ground now.

That being said, hwgtyd pretty much hit the nail on the head. Big bodied deer, few and far between, and relatively light hunting pressure. Overall if you are looking for a tough hunt with the chance of shooting a 200 pound dressed deer its a good area.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its been a while since I hunted Patton, ME. I never saw a deer in a week of camping there nor did the other three guys.

All I shot was a grouse. I ate the white meat and one of the guys ate the liver, gizzard and heart. Thats all anyone got there.

On another summer trip up there my car got charged by a moose. Patton was the only place in ME I did not score every time on deer.

The only ME deer hunting that I would consider from what I know would be some spot in Southern ME thats been scoped out where there are crops. The guys here in CT go up to ME regularly for Moose and do very well on that big beast.

I
I
MGunns-
From PA you might also consider the northwest Ontario area. Some of this country can be hunted without a guide. Reports I have heard from friends are that it is alot like NW Montana was in the late 80's early 90's before the big winter kill. They shoot a lot of really nice bucks, price is reasonable, and good opportunities if you do your homework.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MGuuns,

Another thing about most of the land in particular in Northern, ME is that the water level is so high. The roads there are pretty much on the high ground. When you go into the woods there your going into an area thats so easy to get lost and so hard to walk in.

Most all of the hunters there (residents) just ride the roads.

What happens is that due to the very high water table that the roots of the trees only spread on the surface and with any wind over they go. Blowdowns are everywhere. It might be 'wilderness' but its not cool.

[Linked Image]

Thick undergrowth and blowdown blocks an abandoned section of the original Appalachian Trail.

IC B3

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hunting deer in northern Maine seperates the men from the boys with their toys. No doubt about it.

I guess you could gleen that deer hunting in northern Maine is hard work. Don't come here if you expect to see 30 deer a day, want to sit over a food plot in a heated house, or will be offended if you see someone with a spikehorn. Be prepared to be wet, cold, tired, and footsore. Be prepared to cover a lot of ground, see a lot of red squirrels, and fir trees. You might see nothing or you might see the deer of your dreams. You'll be able to wander until your heart is content.

Last edited by JDK; 04/09/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And if you do shoot one of those big ones you have to get it out. If its any distance from the road its going to be up hill through a swamp like hash of blow downs.

I have seen a home made one wheel/four handled dolly for two men to get one out.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've hunted deer all over the continent,and "grew up" hunting deer in northern Maine and New Hampshire, including the Patten area. I can say without qualification that northern Maine is the toughest deer hunting I've ever encountered.

If conditions allow it, tracking has worked best for me. I would try to concentrate on locating areas does are using heavily; eventually a buck will show in these areas checking for an estrus doe.If he hooks up with a hot doe, he will concentrate on her and tends to be distracted,thus somewhat vulnerable. Often in that country, a hot doe will attract more than one buck,and you can see the story in the snow.

I like to make a swing through areas the does are using; there will be scrapes and other buck sign in these areas,and you can develop a stratgey from there. There is a lot of country with no deer; try not to wander aimlessly, or waste a lot of time. Hunt hot sign to the extent possible. Those bucks will cover miles in a night moving between doe groups, and will not hang around long if there are no hot does.

If you find where a doe has pee'd and there is blood in the urine,stay with her, even if she's alone. She won't be for long...I've followed that sign and before long there has been more than one buck on her.

You can stand hunt up there but you'd better be in exactly the right spots; if not you could freeze to death before you see anything. I'd rather be pro-active and make it happen by going after them.

This is a lot of hard work in big, remote country. Carry a space blanket and fire starting stuff and let friends know where you are going; know how to use a GPS and/or compass and be careful.It is very difficult hunting, but if you kill a big buck, you will remember it for a long time....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
learn to use a compass and have at it.... pray for snow, pack a lunch and wear good boots. may not see a deer for weeks or seasons but if you want an earned buck, northern maine is where it will be...

have seen live bucks in the 180 class and i can tell you they are freakin' huge. (dont ask why they are still alive). soup can bases and 12" brow tines. just awesome.... got our first 250# 2 years ago. guy had been hunting there for 10 years.. first buck he shot in maine. i have let the safety go on many doe's that were "too big" to be doe's. over 200# dressed easy. if it dont kill ya' it will make hunting anywhere else seem like a box stand in the mall parking lot smile

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Woofer:TFF!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are looking to see a lot of deer, Northern Maine is not the place to go. They may be big but they are far and few between.

Coastal and Southern Maine will offer you the best opportunity and there are some great island hunts where deer populations are quite high for Maine.

If you are looking for a guide for a Southern Maine hunt you should consider Maine Experience Guide Services . Jason Faris has access to some great whitetail hunting in the southern part of the state.

Here is Jason's web site:

Maine Experience Guide Service

[Linked Image]

Good luck.......... smile

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all of the info guys. I'm sitting in Iraq right now but am trying to plan a hunt with two of my buddies for 2010. Looking for a good opportunity at a decent deer without breaking the bank. Maybe I need to look elswhere. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. This would be our first "guided" hunt. Thanks again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lived and hunted ME for 6+ yrs in the early 90s. Deer are few and far between but if ya score in northern ME it's probaly a mount!

220 Swift still king.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,352
Posts18,506,261
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.