Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I have a couple of these homely little carbines (30-30 and 22 Hornet). They are very accurate and handy, but it is as if Savage (or Stevens) purposely made the bolt operation drag. Anyone have experience freeing these things up? Doesn't need to be as slick as a Sako. Functionally smooth would do.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
plug the chamber end and run the bolt in and out using fine valve lapping compound.

NRA Life Member
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try it with and without cartridges and magazine. Sometimes a major part of bolt drag is upward pressure of the cartridges in the magazine, or the follower, when empty.

Bruce

C
ccl Offline
C
My 340 in 30-30 is very smooth with the mag removed and when feeding shells, has a 3lbs trigger pull and with it's Marbel apature sight will keep my cast bullits loads in 2.5 in @ 100 yrd. Great little rifle and the only deer rifle my uncle ever used.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Thought I would pass on what I found.
22 Hornet - Two things - First, the little nib at the front of the bolt guide was too tall. This is the piece that lifts the bolt guide catch as the bolt goes closed. Being too tall, it was trying to lift the catch farther than it could go (before being stopped by the underside of the bolt guide). This caused a springy binding action during the last 1/4 inch or so of straight forward travel (before bolt rotation). The touch of a file solved that problem. Second, the extractor was binding on the lip of the barrel. The barrel is cone (tit) shaped at the entrance to the chamber. This is a bit difficult to describe, but the edge of the cone should be thin and recessed slightly where the extractor travels (in order to let the extractor catch the edge of the rim, which is small on a hornet). The cone edge was too thick. The leading edge of the extractor would catch on the cone edge going closed. The oversized edge would also hold the extractor away from the case rim, such that a sticky case would not be extracted. I very slightly rehaped the cone edge with a Dremel and a small diamond bit. I also put a slight bevel on the leading edge of the extractor. She works slick now, and extracts properly. Both of these problems would probably have solved themselves with time, as the gun broke in, so to speak. This one had spent its life in a closet and had barely been shot.

30-30 - This an old well used one. The bolt drags over its entire stroke, as if it is too tight. I tried the 22 Hornet bolt in it, same problem. So it is the receiver and not the bolt. Have tried lapping compound and careful polishing, to no avail.

Last edited by ozzy the nuke; 04/23/08.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,605
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.