Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
That's some good info Sitka, If what E says is true about the eyebox I know I wouldn't like the Sightron SII as I appreciate very much the big eyebox on the Leupolds. Do you notice a smaller eyebox on the Sightron SII?...............547.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
very much so...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
547;

What Sitka and E are saying about the pre-Big Sky Sightrons is correct. The eye relief was shorter than advertised and more critical.

The Big Sky models are significantly different, with eye relief that is as advertised and comparable to the Leupolds, as well as far less critical ("eyebox") again very comparable the Leupolds.

The only way to know what you think, is to pick on up and try it. I have, of both vintage SIIs, and can tell you first hand that the original SIIs didn't compare to the Leupolds due to the eye relief issues (glass, yes). The newer Big Sky models, are very, very, VERY close, and as close to identical as I think you can get.

If you choose to see for yourself, I'd be curious to know what you think.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Roy:

Fixed eye relief isn't a bad thing for me but the variable eye relief can be an advantage. I prefer it, provided there is generous and forgiving eye relief on the low end.

I do a lot of still-hunting and unless I forget, run the low end. On quick shots, generous eye relief is a real advantage with a hasty mount--particularly in the cold where you add or subtract layers.

On that score Lupy owns the low-end look. I prefer it to the Euro Zeiss and Swaros I have, and like the Zeiss low end over the Swaro.

Not a big thing, but it is there. A guy who doesn't hunt and shoot that way may never notice.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Tom. No question Leupold has the most generous eye relief of any scope I've owned or tried.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aren't the "Big Sky" models close to the same "street" price as Leupold. I mean I can and have bought NIB 3-9 VXII's for $230-240 delivered (best buy for me) and 3.5-10 VXIII for $390-$400 delivered. 3-9 Conquest which is "to me" optically superior to the VXIII for $325-350 or so.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The 3-9x42 SIIB goes for about $350ish.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The specs of the Sightron are not fixed and run just a tenth or so shorter than the Leupie... That is what the paperwork says... They also call it a 3-9x40, not 42.

In the real World mount the two scopes or put them side by side and check how critical the eye relief is on each. If the answer is not startlingly clear I would be shocked. The eye relief on the Sightron is decidedly more critical.
art

Art;

That's the SI model; not the SII or the Big Sky model. Big difference in eye relief and performance.

The SI, which ain't even in the same league optically, is a 3-9x40. The older SII is a 3-9x42. The Big Sky SIIB is a 3-9x42.

Eye relief on the SI (but optically it's a Rifleman caliber scope...) is an optimistic 4.5" to 3.6".

Eye relief on the old SII is very optimistic 4.2" to 3.6" (the lower end being more accurate).

Eye relief on the SIIB is a pretty accurate 4.1" to 3.9".

Last edited by VAnimrod; 04/09/08. Reason: added in specs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So for the same coin as the new Sightron I can get a Conquest. Only downside is the Zeiss is 2 oz heavier.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
About that....

But, of course, you won't be able to focus it, and it's been recoil tested to the end of it's life before you get it...... wink

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sean
I do not have the scope any longer to recheck and the 40:42 thing points to you being correct. WIll verify and measure an SII and let you know what I find. Thanks.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Please do. You know I'd be interested in hearing/reading what you find and what you think.

I'm still running that 6x42 SIIB, and taking it up to VA this weekend for a turkey sniping expedition.

I have been very, very impressed by that scope, esp. in comparison to the FX-III 6x42.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
While you can argue that the 4.1-3.9 inch eye relief of the Sightron isn't a true fixed like the Conquest's 4.0 inch eye relief, it is alot more like a fixed, shall we say, than the 4.7-3.7 inch eye relief on the comparable Leupold.
What I've noticed is that when I pick up a rifle with a fixed eye relief scope, it's lack of eye box is the first thing that I notice. Short eye relief scopes are the same way. Comes from getting spoiled by Leupolds.
I've noticed that fixed magnification scopes with lots of eye relief have good sized eye boxes. Even down to a 3.7 inch eye relief.
I find it interesting that companys like S&B and Zeiss still make fixed magnification scopes. Some of them, like the Conquest 4X have good eye relief in the 4 inch range. Some of the fixed magnification S&B's appear to be built with a bout 3.6-3.7 inche of ER. I suspect there are some euro users do appreciate these features. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
VA, what is your feelings on the usable eye relief with the SIIB and the FX?

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
E;

Man, you still haven't used the Sightron, so you really haven't a clue as to how it functions in comparison. FWIW, neither has JB (at least not that he's written about) since the Big Sky line was only introduced last year.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Rob;

Here ya go: Thread

FWIW, I found via measurement about .4" difference in the eye relief in favor of the Leupold FX-III 6x42 over the Sightron SIIB 6x42.

Now, how does that related to useful eye relief/eyebox in the field? Very, very, very little difference at all, with any edge going slightly to the FX-III. IMHO, that's countered by the Sightron's slightly brighter, sharper image (but only very slightly so).

For all intents and purposes, the two scopes are damned near interchangeable.

I'd wager that if I covered the logo on the side of the scope, and kept the BC caps and the adjustment caps on, there'd be VERY few if any people who could pick which was which by looking through them or using them. They are that comparable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Eremicus
when I pick up a rifle with a fixed eye relief scope,

Now that might actually be something useful coming out of your mouth believe it or not. So please share with us: How often does that happen, exactly? With which brand and models of scopes have you done it extensively with?

Thanks in advance for sharing your actual experience with the subject.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
VA, thanks. I have spent a couple of evening with the new FX-III 6X42 and have found about the same as you have. In fast shouldering both rifles, they both come up very quick and clear. I'm comparing the FX-III to the SIIB 4-16X42 set at 6X and it's very close. I've had to adjust the mag ring down to about 5.5 to get the same size view as the FX but both look real good.

Again Thanks

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
If E could answer the question rationally of what an eyebox is, he could then describe how the eyebox of a fixed eye relief scope differs from a fixed power scope. And then explain how the fixed power scope can have a good eyebox and the variable constant eye relief doesn't. But why am I bothering? He is wrong about this. It makes no sense, nor is it true. Which is why he cannot do any of this. Not to mention he seems not to have used any fixed eye relief variable scopes. He is amazing. Just amazing. Wrong and sure of it.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Va, I'm interested in the SII only, the Big Sky is in the price range of VXIII leupolds. I'd like to save a hundred and fifty bucks and get a Sightron SII 3x9x42 but if the eyebox is a lot more critical than Leupolds I don't think I'll waste my time ordering one if I'm going to end up paying return postage and insurance to send it back..........My goal is to find a scope that is equal to a leupold but at a more reasonable price.(If it indeed does exist)......I've tried a couple different brands lately one I sent back that failed miserably was a Burris Short Mag 3x9 for supposedly fully multi-coated optics I was very disappointed in its brightness and especially its clarity also its eyebox was pretty sad. I did get a pleasant surprise with My latest try, it is a Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40 short action scope, I love its dimensions, it fits My new Model Seven Predator perfectly, the 3200 Short Action also has 3.7" of eye relief unlike the 4200s 3.3 (What a shame if not for this pitifully short eye relief the 4200 could be the answer to My prayers) the 3200 Short Action also has very good edge to edge clarity and nice positive clicks on the adjustment dials that track really well, the only drawback I have is its not quite as bright as my VXIIIs but the 3200 only has multi-coated lenses and at $178.00 from Natchez it was $200.00 cheaper than a VXIII 3.5x10x40 so I'm not going to bitch a whole lot....................547.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 12344mag, 1234, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 1,709 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,041
Posts18,521,105
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.