-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since there are a few 3/8" bore aficionados here - anyone use the Barnes Banded Solids? I picked up some 270 grainers that I'm going to try in my 375 Taylor.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I got both and really like both. The 375 H&H is just a classic though.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Since there are a few 3/8" bore aficionados here - anyone use the Barnes Banded Solids? I picked up some 270 grainers that I'm going to try in my 375 Taylor.

Please don't be offended, but some of us depend or have depended on the Partition to save our skin, and we're still here. You go ahead and experiment with something else if you want, but when the S**t hits the fan, we KNOW what will work. If it ain't broke, I have no intention of fixing it.

Wayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
300 gr partition has been my std load. Want something to play around with and be certain of when I need to break two shoulders on ol' bruno.

I've had too many partitions (mainly .30 and .33 cal) stay inside of blacktail deer to inspire me that they will completely pass-thru both shoulders of a big bear.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
300 gr partition has been my std load. Want something to play around with and be certain of when I need to break two shoulders on ol' bruno.

I've had too many partitions (mainly .30 and .33 cal) stay inside of blacktail deer to inspire me that they will completely pass-thru both shoulders of a big bear.

Now, since you are speaking from your experiences, go with what you know will work. If a 270 or 300 grain Partition won't make you confident around "ol' Bruno", you might need a 416 or the like.

Wayne

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its hilarious that for years so many were griping about belted cases being unnecessary, and we should base the big boomers on something like a 404 case.

Now that a manufacturer has done just that with a well designed modern version that is efficient and works in a standard length action, everyone is rallying around what we had been flogging as unnecessary and old thinking...the BELT! eek eek

I loved my Hawkeye African. It shot tight, fed slikker'n snot, and was a trim rifle that my hands loved to hold. If not for medical bills, I would never have sold it. I guess feeling this way about the 375 Ruger...or my Savage FSS 116 CRF SS/SYN 375 H&H for that matter makes me a HERETIC. blush blush I loved my Ruger and am completely happy with a CRF Savage that isn't a Mauser clone. shocked

NEWS FLASH!!.......Other things work, too. Some as well; some well enough; and some better. 375 Ruger vs 375 H&H...flip a coin. They are both great rounds.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Luv,

Yer dead on about both being "great" rounds and each has it's strong points. I love both concepts, and if my mind had been made up about the overall superiority of one over the other, I wouldn't have started this thread looking for my oversights. smile

Wayne

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Back in the late 1970s, when I first started to work with belted-magnums, the 7mm Rem. Mag. was especially hot, at least out here, and no one reported one single problem with belted cases.

Years later, all of a sudden various alarums were repoted about how very problematic belted cases were, and mostly by outfits that had developed new, beltless cartridges to sell, and of course select stooges were coaxed and rewarded in order to help spread the alarm, but for some stange reason all of those supposed "problems" remained largely undefined.

Terry Wieland is one of the few writers who has properly documented the reason that Holland & Holland developed the belted cartridge case to begin with, and he's the only writer who has questioned all of the silly, vested-interest, anti-belt mumbo-jumbo.

His reaction to it all: "WHAT PROBLEMS?"

My reaction, after reloading and firing thousands and thousands of rounds of belted-magnum ammo over the years through many rifles is the same: "Problems? WHAT problems?"

AD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The .375 H&H has been one of my favs for many years....the .270 Win and the 375 are the only two rifle rounds I reload for anymore. I have M70, Pre-64 in both cals.....I don't shoot the
.375 very often anymore.....but what a great and classic round it is. Except for deer....I think I shot my "first everything" with the .375.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by allenday

I think that the 375 Ruger was primarily developed as a vehicle to boost new rifle and ammo sales.............

AD

And the 375 H&H was developed differently?

I know of very few things that haven't been improved over time.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (AussieGunWriter, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 7 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,909
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.