Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'm thinking a sub 7 lb 7mm-300 WSM in either a NULA, GA Precisions "non-typical", Kimber Montana or a Edge stocked Remington 700 with Ti or skeletonized action would rock. Shoot 150 grainers for everything.

How do the WSM cartridges feed? I heard some of the early ones did'nt feed worth a darn.

Why is it called a double u, should'nt it be called a double v?
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Have a NULA in 300 WSM that had some feeding issues when purchased from new in '02. Melvin sent me a new mag box and that took care of it.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I think that if you found 'Stick, and you won't have to look hard....

He'd tell you the 7WSM in the Ti or the Montana is the killin-est thing he's ever used, and he's flingin' 120 gr. TSXs.

Doing it over again, I'd VERY likely go that route, as it's very, very hard to not like a 7RM in a WSM wrapper, and all up at 7# or less.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a Ti being built now with a McEdge in mountain rifle contour. It's in 300 WSM only because I'm using the original barrel lathed to .57 mountain rifle, I plan on shooting 168's in it.

7mm WSM is in my estimation is the best of any of the 7mm's and a
very good way to go.

WSM's feed fine. The only one's I've heard having problems are the NULA's.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've got the EDGE stocked, skeletonized M700 but in a 280AI. 24" M700 MR contour tube, and 6 pounds 9 oz all up. My standard load is the 150 TSX at 3060 fps. I have a load with the 120TSX's at 3370 fps, but the 150 load is more accurate in my 9 twist barrel. The trajectory of those two loads is more similar than you might believe, BTW.

I've owned well over 100 rifles, and it is the best HUNTING rifle I have ever owned. I think it's perfect.

A 7WSM in that same setup but with a short action might even improve on perfection.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
call Jered at patriot arms he build an edge stocked ti actioned 7wsm or 7-300wsm that is exactly what you are looking for, he build my 7wsm and it feed flawlessly

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one of those cheep Model 7 SS 7mm saum's.

Kampfeld carved on the barrel and bolt, and I installed a Gre-tan lite pin and shroud and a rifle basix trigger.

The Hunter's Edge arrived last week and I've worked up 140 gr. Tipped TSX's and Pro-hunters.

I'll bed it and web it next week (Going pig hunting this weekend) and see what she's got.

Should be just under 7 lbs. scoped and stuffed.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
For the life of me, I can't understand why the 7mm wsm isn't the most popular one of the bunch (WSM's that is).
I know it doesn't do anything realistically that a 7rm can't do, but there are lots of popular cartridges in that same boat.
I love my Kimber Montana 8400 in 7wsm. It's just right, length, weight wise and shoots great and feeds great.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I recently purchased the newer M700 TI in 300wsm topped with a 4-12x42 glass tube. Now the scope is a few oz over a standard 3.5-10 but it still sits at a fart hair more than 7# with a 24" tube.

The first range report is very promising. I'm shooting sub MOA with factory 180gr TSX.

Very pleased to this point and looking forward to any improvements.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course you guys could just build a lightweight 270, and run one bullet lighter than you normally would in the short 7 and you'd be at even steven...

Or at least that's been my experience.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
As much as I like the 270, I can't see how running one weight lighter to get the same mv is even steven. More gack that matters none in the field.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty much I see it as well, I can't see how running one weight heavier in the field at the same velocity is anything but more gack that doesn't matter in the field as well either.

What one will do the other will do make no doubt about it.

I've been there done it and bought the t-shirt with both.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I used to load 150 gr. Nosler Partitions in my old pre-64 M70 Fwt. 270 Win. in W-W cases with Federal 215 primers and a charge of H-4831 for a MV of 2985 fps., and 3/4" five-shots groups @ 100 yds. It was a killing load, very easy to shoot, I used it for a fair amount of hunting.

At around the same time, we had a fellow at our gun club who had a M700 7mm Rem. Mag. that he absolutely loved (nearly to death!) and his favorite load was built around the 150 gr. Nosler Partition, and he was burning 10 more grains of H-4831 than I was in my 270/150 gr. Nosler load. He was absolutely convinced that his 7mm Rem. Mag. load was far more powerful and effective than my feeble 270 Win. load was.

So one day I talked him into shooting a 5-shot group over my Oehler 33. I was expecting 3200 fps., but instead, his rifle produced right at 3050 fps., which was only 65 fps. more velocity than I was getting out of my 270 Win. with bullets of the exact-same weight, but of slightly superior SD. Lot's more fuss, boom, and kick for not a whole lot greater return.

Of course, properly loaded 160 & 175 gr. bullets make a different animal out of the 7mm Rem. Mag., no question about it.......

Most of these .277/7mm cartridges are a lot more simliar for most hunting than a lot of guys would care to admit, and these days I'd a lot rather deal with a lightweight 270 Win. than any sort of 7mm magnum.

AD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AD-my findings echo your's exactly. I had a Montana shorty 7 for a while, kind of liked the lil fart but it didn't do anything that my G33 in 270 wouldn't do as well so it went down the road.

In my shorty 7 (and in a couple of others I've worked with)I could push the 160's to 2950 and that is all the further I wanted to push it.

As for about normal for the wsm's I found the factory ammo untouchable by reloads and for my way of going about business too hot!

In my 270's I've found I can run the 150's at the same 2950 speed.

So, for me I went back to the old friend and am quite happy.

Dober

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
ST - "How do the WSM cartridges feed?" Depends who you talk to... In my limited experience, they need lots of work to feed "reliably". Never played with a Kimber or Tikka; but have heard they feed very well. I have played with Winny's, Remmy's, and a few customs. All of these needed tweaking! Open rails, custom mag box, follower and spring, and feed ramp work. Not rocket science for sure and there is a lot of smiths that can make 'em feed reliable. Is it worth it? Used to think so, not so much anymore. "Kind of crazy coming from a big wizzzum fan..."

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My experience with feeding WSM's has been that Tikka's feed the best, right next to the #1's....<g>

Some 70's feed good some ok some poor and same with the Kimbers.

The 700 short mags I've been around you couldn't give to me!

Like about anything else some will feel differently, I can only relate my experiences and just like about anything else in life all will have differing levels on expectations. Lastly, I've also found that depending on how badly someone wants something to work can and might just alter what they're willing to put up with.

Dober

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Dober - well put... well said... shoulda talked to you a few years ago; woulda saved a bunch of aches, pains and coin <g> Fine day to you, - Jim

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm heading to the range to sight in the bruin rifle so it's gonna be a super afternoon!

Best to you as well.

Dober

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
RickF.... DO you have any pictures??? I have a Wally world ADL 7mm and Im thinking about having Kampfield flute the barrel and bolt, skeletonize the bolt, and throw a Micky Edge on it... Im hoping 7 1/2lbs with a leupy VXIII 3.4-10X40 and Tally LW's... Am I way off???

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The guy who shoots a Mashburn is the voice of reason?

NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 163bc, 58 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,964
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.