Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by esldude

Your description of use merely gives an account of how you have adapted to the bother of highly variable eye relief. It isn't a benefit even if you have gotten used to it and learned to work around it. Constant eye relief is just simpler to live with.

I am wondering if this is part of the reason for folks fascination with Leupold's fixed power scopes.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I am wondering if this is part of the reason for folks fascination with Leupold's fixed power scopes.

Actually RD,its more of a goof proof factor.Loopie variables have a very long history of POI shifts as the power ring is turned.So its just a way to keep it simple.Just one less thing to go wrong.Matts review of two current 6x42 loopies pretty much says it all.An over sold under performing scope with issues right from the factory.Why bother?
Think of it like this.Lets say you were on a deserted island.And were starving.Someone gives you a cracker.
You eat the cracker.Mumm thats a really really good cracker.In fact,its the absolute best cracker, you ever ate in your life.When you get off the island,you tell everyone about it.
This is about where E is with loopies.Hes never used or tested or even bothered to look at anything else.So that loopie cracker is the bestest in the whole world.....
dave

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Once optics get to a certain point, and I think a VX-III is certainly past that point... it's all gravy. I mean jeez, we can split hairs ad nauseum but we some lucky hombres, to have access to all the great stuff around these days!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Actually RD,its more of a goof proof factor.Loopie variables have a very long history of POI shifts as the power ring is turned.So its just a way to keep it simple.Just one less thing to go wrong.Matts review of two current 6x42 loopies pretty much says it all.An over sold under performing scope with issues right from the factory.Why bother?
Think of it like this.Lets say you were on a deserted island.And were starving.Someone gives you a cracker.
You eat the cracker.Mumm thats a really really good cracker.In fact,its the absolute best cracker, you ever ate in your life.When you get off the island,you tell everyone about it.
This is about where E is with loopies.Hes never used or tested or even bothered to look at anything else.So that loopie cracker is the bestest in the whole world.....
dave

dave

LMMFAO!!!!!

Dave, my man, you have a gift for hilarious analogies! That's the funniest thing I've read in a long, long while!

Thanks!

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
eslude,THANKS for the info! I believe I can make one work.

til later

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you only compare Brand "A" against Brand "A", Brand "A" should always win.

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree %100 Jeff, The optics market is extremely competitive and their are so many great scopes out there from more than a few companies, its hard to find a really bad product and we are some lucky guys nowadays to have such great optics choices compared to the market just 20 years ago. I can't help but wonder what the optics market will be like in another 20 years.....................547.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
547, in the pat 3-5 years optics have changed by leaps and bounds. I can't imagine what it will be like in 20 years.

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I would think in 20 years scopes won't be all optical. You will have CCD's working with smaller lenses. These will allow many things among them a picture on an LCD or some similar rather than direct optical viewing. Probably will have things like programmable trajectory compensation for any cartridge even down to individual handloads. A built in range finder isn't at all unlikely either in top of the line optics which also will probably have image stabilization abilities too. Some will decry this move from optical purity. But over time you will end up with a better aiming device which is really what a scope does for you.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The fascination with fixed magnification Leupolds comes about when you get them set right and, after some field time, especially in situations where you have to shoot rapidly, you discover they work alot better than you ever thought. You also discover that the ability to change magnication just isn't needed.
They are right there with that image no matter what shooting position or what layers of clothing you wear while hunting. That's why old gun writers like Jack O'Connor much prefered scope with very forgiving, non critical eye relief for his big game rifles. Some of the early scopes had this feature and some didn't. Old Jack used to shoot at running jack rabbits and coyotes regularly as well as big game. Noticed the difference and wrote about it.
BTW, since the coming of CNC tooling, changes in POI when changing magnification haven't been a problem with even the cheap scopes. Barsness says this even applys to the very cheap, bubble pack, Wally World scopes. E

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Had to have a friend send his 3.5-10x44 Zeiss Conquest back last summer for some SERIOUS POI changes. 10" vertical and 2" horizontal from max low range to max high range. Best scope I've ever looked through!

til later

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like the "constant" eye relief is a better choice after all. That's what I thought as you just confirmed. Eremicus, just recently you described how you set up a scope with a variable eye relief at low, middle and high magnifications then from the standing, sitting and prone. Sounded liked you needed to choose a magnification setting depending on the shooing position. In short it was to confusing. Never would have to go through all that nonsense if it was constant.

Roy

I am going to reply to the original poster disregarding all I have read here.In my gun cabinet right now I have a Rem 30-06 with a VX-II 6-18X40 Leupold(my rifle) I have a Howa 270 with a Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40(wife's) and a Rem 243 Mohawk with a Sightron SII 3-12X42(Daughter's)I have been to the range and hunted personally with all three.Other than the differences in magnification you would be hard pressed to notice any differences in quality of these optics.The bushnell would get my nod solely for the raingaurd coating whice really works.But if price were a factor I'd give the Sightron the nod.But you will also notice the Leuppy's on my rifle.Go figure?
Good luck with whatever choice you make and none of the above mentioned would be a bad choice.
That's my 2 cents.
Rock

Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your backtrail
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
That's why old gun writers like Jack O'Connor much prefered scope with very forgiving, non critical eye relief for his big game rifles. Some of the early scopes had this feature and some didn't. Old Jack used to shoot at running jack rabbits and coyotes regularly as well as big game. Noticed the difference and wrote about it.
E

Don't suppose the reason could have been that the varible scopes of the period were lacking in several areas field of view, brightness, eye box, etc.
As many here have realized the advances and changes in the optics world over the past several decades since Jack O'Conner have not yet reach Placerville, Ca,

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
esldude,

A built in range finder isn't at all unlikely either in top of the line optics which also will probably have image stabilization abilities too. Some will decry this move from optical purity. But over time you will end up with a better aiming device which is really what a scope does for you.

The will be illegal in Oregon for hunting. No battery power on hunting tools; guns or bows. This state is controled by a bunch of backward folks.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would not fly in AK either, though there is some question about it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Rock, Thanks for the 2 cents. I think I'll try an SII 3x9x42, for $199.00 I don't think I can go wrong................547.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope, you can't. You'll be happy with the quality and, your wallet will like you too.

Rob

Rob

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
BrocksDad, Have you ever compared that sightron sII 3x9x42 to a burris fullfield II 3x9x40? If so are there any big differences? thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bnbrk94, yes I have compared both and now were splitting hairs. The biggest difference is the eye relief, the SII is less critical and very friendly. The glass on the SII is a bit sharper and crisper. The weight, length and mounting space are almost identical. In this post or a previous post I noted that I had 2 3-9X42's with different eye relief. One was terrible and one was awesome. They were only about 2 years different in manufacture time. The new ones have awesome eye relief, the old ones are bad.

The only knock on the FFII's is customer service. I have not had the greatest luck with Burris customer service. Sightron's customer service has been outstanding. The older SII I have will go back and I'm sure I will receive a new one in a week.

Hope this helps, any other questions please ask.

Rob

Rob

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1234, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 1,899 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,166
Posts18,523,589
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.