-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 35 of 1,842 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 1841 1842
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great story Stan. Dave would live at the cabin if I let him, but it's kinda nice having him at home so I make him just go out there on the weekend...well don't really have to MAKE him.

I enjoy the cabin alot too. I love to take the kids on walks and explore the woods. The huge cedar trees are great to walk under and just the smell of the air out there is undescribeable.

I'm all for this site and this threat particularly. I think its great the support, comments, and suggestions that go back and forth. All that participate and read threw this thread seem to be a great bunch of people...except that guy that signs on as "Rooster7"...just kidding Jim!

I can't wait for this summer, I'm so excited to get building that sauna and the wrap around porch that I've wanted on our house forever. So if I can't have it on the house, I want it on the cabin. Did Dave tell all that the addition may be bigger than we first planned? Why not, right?

Better run for now...btw, kudos on the 20+ yrs of marriage. smile
Pam

"I'm not crying!!"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swishing in...

This is a place of my Uncles. The place where the swish story comes from. As time goes on you will find that the hunting shack is a place that those who to visit, feel honored to have been invited to, think of all year long, and pray they will be given the chance to return.

[Linked Image]

Ive spent some time each season for the last several years hunting with My uncle and his friends and family.

Even though I know there is a place for me, Each year I ask if I may come. Each year he says he will have to check with Wayne ( his long time friend and hunting partner and all around wonderful person) . Each year he gets back to me and lets me know that I am welcome. Each year I look forward to hearing it.

Ramble ramble ramble...You and yours will enjoy this place for a long time to come.

swish, swish, swish...

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
as always big swish, your words are well received!

The swish is not to be taken lightly.

Just for you swish, I share a story. fresh one, brand new.

we did spend the weekend out at the cabin, we met up with good friends that brought atv's & we all went for a long ride both Saturday & Sunday.

Saturday night we stayed over at the cabin. i had noticed that out air mattress in the mom & dad room was a little low on swish... air see, it was low.

I grabbed the air pump & did it up right firmly. Huffed it up to near burst pressure, which was nice, for a short while.

I was so proud of myself, the bed was so firm, surely it would be a wonderful night's sleep.

At about 3AM it became clear while tossing in the night that the bed had lost it's tout bounce... it had become rolly, squishy...

I knew then that I had hours of deflation ahead of me, uncertain on exactly how flat we would be by morning. At around 5AM parts of me were contacting the floor... it just got worse from there.

By 7AM, it was an irritating balloon that kept the lightest parts of our bodies from touching the floor, like hands & feet.

I am still trying to decide how angry i am with the air bed. Worse case, the air bed has destruction in it's future, fire, bullet holes, drug behind a truck with boulders on top.... There are just so many bad things I could do to it...

For now, I'm damn tired, so the air bed is safe.

But i will not forget, smile

The boy, my nephew, he could tell about how his dad & I tried loading a portable fishouse in the back of the truck once on a cold wintry night after fishing & how the house gave me a hard time.

The fish house had had enough, it was old & tired... it tried to make us leave it on the ice.

I went to lift it & a handle broke.... "oh, nice try fish house.."

famous words from that day... grin

the fish house came home, and I burnt that damn fish house the next day.... oh I guess you had to be there to understand.

My cousin, best friend, the boy's dad... he always laughed about that. "you actually burned it, haa, haaa, haaa!!"

yeah, good times.

Thanks swish for spinning some new feel to the camp thing. I understand what you are saying, I've been there myself.

i just hope that our camp has that sort of meaning to someone some day. We sure dig it I guess grin

I'll write more tomorrow & post a few pictures from the weekend.

and if I destroy that air mattress, i promise to be as over the top & ridiculously showy as can be,

with pictures!!!!

Dave

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
well Dave,

my kids are the only thing that make me laugh more than this thread. I have been away from the site for awhile but started to read this where I left off. first off, sorry to hear about your daughter. it sounds like she is on the mend though(with a cool new gun too) my daughter is dying for one of those too, and when I get back on my feet I will get her one.

it is nice to FIANALLY hear from mrsnortherdave too.

please keep posting updates and stroies on the progress and just plain old fun time had at the shack. it seems as we are with you there when you keep up updated at the shack. for those of us who don't yet have one we can live vicariously through you and your family.

we have fallen victim to the slumping economy, me and several others have been downsized, bought out, realesed, fired... whatever you want to call it from our employer. I have been out trying to find a job and my thoughts have not been on the fire for awhile. I have not had to do a job interview for nine years so that is kind of new to me again but oh well.

so anyway, what I'm saying is this thread keeps me smiling so keep adding to it.

I understand what you mean when you said this thread makes you wear your heart on your sleeve, I'm not like that at all but for some reason do it here all the time.

the tounge and groove will look sharp too. keep the pics coming.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Damn Tom, very sorry to hear about the job situation.

I bet you'll do better, I bet you're the kind of guy that can grab up his experience & put it to work for a different team, one that pays better.

Good luck to you Tom, I went through a job transition myself about 2 years ago after 11-12 years or so of the same job.

I hope your transition works out as well as mine has. You gotta sell it man, don't take your own experience & knowledge for grantid like your employer did.

you'll do fine

dave

Something clever here.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey Dave,

Thanks. I have something in the works already so hopefully it works out. I think it will be fine it just sucks that I put 9 years in with this outfit, pretty much the first real job I had. They promote to everyone that we are all a team "lets work together", but that must be only if things are well with the company because then it's every man for himself.

I guess I learned a hard lesson on how busniess works and will keep it in the 'ol memory bank. They will find out that the 4 guys they got rid of were good, loyal, hard working dudes. All of us were construction managers of some shape or another, and that work around here is just slow this year. So I understand why it happened, it just sucks that it did.

My wife is not sure she wants me to go back to work right now. If the job I'm after now doesn't work out, that may be the plan. My daughter will start school this fall and she kind of wants me to stay home until she starts it. It has been fun so far playing with my kids. The walleyes are biting and the turkeys are strutting so they have had a few lessons in each area this week. If I can get her to back a boat it I have it made. My boy is 3 years old but is a turkey hunting freak, the boy can't get enough of it. He brings his gun in the woods and the car on the trips is case he sees a turkey, the little bugger can't get enough "tookeys". I should probably break him of the shooting out the window now, before it gets to late.

Tom

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by tzone
I should probably break him of the shooting out the window now, before it gets to late.

Tom

too funny! grin

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's no surprise to me but you might be amazed if you look at how many times this thread has been viewed.Almost 10,000.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
holy moly! it's over 10,000 this morning!

Who'd a thunk it?

I'll try to post some new pics today.

dave

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it's this popular in a thread then I'd think there's enough interest to warrant a book.Make the idea pay for the cabin?

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like your way of thinkin' there Stan. I do, I do, I do!!!

"I'm not crying!!"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
OK, here we go finally.

Some pics from last weekend

getting muddy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and the new coyote fur hangin on the wall that I tanned myself recently.
[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool photos Dave. Thanks for posting. Glad you're enjoying your camp.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thanks High Brass, it's frickin snowing up here right now,,, not cool!!

The pictures are a mix of our kids & our friend's kids. it was a fun weekend.

I am thinking our "economy stimulous check" is going to stimulate a lumberyard in MN smile

We have soffit/fascia to do, need to finish the addition which houses our future sauna room... as Mrs ND stated (Can't believe she couldn't come up with a better post name) smile

as she was saying, we are talking about making that little 8' x 16' addition into a 16' x 16' addition which would include sort of a mini den/bar/general BS & drink beer room.

And I'm wanting to cover up the chip board interior with some T&G boards, we'll see how far the rebate check goes i guess.

I've been teasing rooster7 today who has been pounded by snow already. I told him I have an old empty turtle shell filled with dried chicken bones & I've been standing up north here shaking that turtle shell at that storm to keep it south of me (which ended up stalling it out over rooster's house) grin Yeah I got some kinda native type powers or something... not me so much but that turtle shell, good stuff!

We are just getting a dusting right now, think i better get out my anti snow storm turtle shell & give a few shakes at that storm before bed.

Sorry rooster! grin

Dave

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's funny Dave!

Yeah the wife and I are knee deep in remodeling our house so we have hammers in hand quite a bit. If you really need a turtle shell give me a shout. I'll get one from an alligator snapper that's trashcan lid size and you can really keep the storms away!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I might just need that big shell.

I guess mine don't work, we got a foot of snow!!

What a mess!!

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh man! Maybe a coastal NC snappin' turtle shell will confuse the weather patterns of the Great North and send snow elsewhere. I'll have to get you one Dave.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
dave,

a foot of snow. man you can have it. I was in a fishing tourney on sat and sunday, we got a little snow. now we have about an inch and it is still falling.

you are going to put a bar in a deer camp? I never really heard of that before. do you think it will see much use? grin grin

a friend of mine has a room at their shack with the hose from a keg tap run into the room. they have several kegs outside in a little storage rack to keep them in place outside the shack. The weather keeps them cool 99% of the time but in years past they have had to pack them in ice a time or two. kind of a sweet little deal, and of course the hose and tap are run behind the bar. They go through several kegs in a 9 day season YMMV but it is an idea you may be able to incorperate into your shack. that is if you think there will be beer there...espically with a sauna and all grin...

Keep posting the pics, I'm one of those guys that can never get enough cabin history and picturs of them, they're great. the t&g will rock inside the cabin, i dig me some old barn wood for that purpose.

Tom

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yeah you and that dang 'ol turtle shell! mad :)We got 15 inches of the white crap and the town where my wife works received 21 inches! crazy You might need to get that big 'ol alligator snapper and fill it with ostrich bones though because you still got a foot! When are ya comin down next? I got something for the cabin that needs to take the trip back with you. whistle

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dave,

Great pics and story, yup a book sounds Great.. Another thing to consider even with your snow, summer is right around the corner. I know you know but thought a reminder would be on track. You need some red mineral trace salt mixed up with plain stock salt and add to the desired location infront of the stands soon... Ole forkytoes will grow a better rack and you'll have another attraction to the stands.

Page 35 of 1,842 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (007FJ, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,518
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.