Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I've been experiencing a significant problem with my Savage 12 VLP in Ruger 204. The rifle's accuracy is excellent, however almost every time I try to chamber a round from the magazine, it jams and fails to chamber correctly.
I have been using Winchester 204 Ruger 34 gr. jacketed hollow point ammo because the rifle shoots them well (when I can get them in the chamber). However, if this ammo is the problem I will use something else.
I've tried different ways of placing ammo in the magazine � as far back as possible, and as far forward as possible while still permitting the bolt to work, and every place in between. Nothing has worked so far.
Can someone help me with this problem? Thanks in advance.

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have no experience with the 204. The first thing I would try is another brand and type of cartridge to see if the problem persists. Just my 2 cents worth. Where is the bullet hanging up. Is the nose hitting the top of the chamber (end of barrel) side or bottom. In my experience most FTF problems are the magazine and sometimes it can be the follower. I have had to alter the lips at times to release the shell a little sooner or later depending on how the mag is releasing the cartridge. I have even had to alter the feed ramps. Again just my thoughts and take it slow its easy to mess up if you jump in to fast and hard. Try to diagnose the problem first.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
STexhunter,
Thanks. Good stuff to consider.
The nose of the rounds seem to hangup on the side of the chamber. From what you wrote, the easiest thing to try first is a different ammo brand.
Also, the hangup always happens if I have three rounds in the magazine. Hangup will happen only sometimes if I have two rounds in the magazine, and almost never happens if I have only one round in the magazine. This seems to support your point about the magazine being the problem.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,060
Posts18,501,211
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.