Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcjames Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Not sure if this counts as varmint hunting...but here's some video of a New Zealand feral goat cull smile

http://www.realoutdoorproductions.com/2008vids/Goat1/goat1.html

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Looks fun to me.

B
bcjames Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the comments.... We had a great trip, and learned alot. We were a bit shell-shocked when the details of the cull that we were invited on were explained to us....but here is a bit of what we learned....

North American sensibilities (our own included!) would have us stalk through several groups of goats until we could get a crack at a large billy...and then we would take trophy photos and talk about the great hunt. However, we quickly learned that actions like that would get us banned from the property as we have now educated more goats then we shot making it more difficult for the next group of shooters to take down numbers.

This particular ranch has groups of shooters comming in several times a month shooting big numbers of goats and they still can't get the population under control (no predators and no winter in NZ = 0% die off). The farm manager mentioned that they may call in for a helicopter and have goats shot from the air to try and bring down the numbers. He would not have been impressed that a potential shooter was spending much of his time filming rather than shooting

What a difference from what we are used to doing here in Canada...where I may only fire 2 rounds this year and still have a wildly successful season! This cull is definitley not for everyone.....but it is what it is. Thanks again

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
An interesting shoot but what did they do with the dead goats? If they left them there to rot that doesn't sound too healthy to me.

B
bcjames Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by flashhole
An interesting shoot but what did they do with the dead goats? If they left them there to rot that doesn't sound too healthy to me.

I thought the same thing....and considering how many goats get culled on this ranch, I expected to see goat remains everywhere. In reality it was quite rare for us to find anything left of past goats. The locals told us that the feral pigs come out of the bush at night to tidy up.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What caliber were these being shot with?

Bob

B
bcjames Offline OP
OP Offline
B
My dad and I were shooting 30-06 and 7mm rem mag loaded with barnesxxx. The kiwi's were using 243 and rem 260 loaded with v-max, I think.

The goats were very tough for thier size. They would not drop on the spot with a double lung shot from the barnes, but would walk 30 ft and then fall over. The high velocity v-max were much more dramatic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now THAT'S a varmint Jihaad smile I wanna take a scoped AR10 over there with at least 5 buckets of ammo...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang, I could into that!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
bcjames, just tell them to send me an airline ticket and I'll be there.
Have gun will shoot!

IC B3

I
IAK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
bcjames, how much did just a "varmint" hunt like that run you?

B
bcjames Offline OP
OP Offline
B
IAK, we spent about $2000 flying from Canada to Auckland. Then there is a $25 NZ fee at the airport for a temporary firearms license. After that, the hunting was free. Because all big game in NZ is introduced and because there are no predators, they have no seasons, tags, or bag limits. We had some local friends who were nice enough to take us out....so this wasn't a "paid" guided hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bcjames
My dad and I were shooting 30-06 and 7mm rem mag loaded with barnesxxx. The kiwi's were using 243 and rem 260 loaded with v-max, I think.

The goats were very tough for thier size. They would not drop on the spot with a double lung shot from the barnes, but would walk 30 ft and then fall over. The high velocity v-max were much more dramatic.

Thank you so much for the fabulous story and video's.

Would you use X bullets again? Did you end up "aiming for the bone"?

B
bcjames Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Savage,
Because the Barnes work so well for us back home, and because we are very familiar with how they perform in our rifles, I would use them again for a one time trip to NZ....rather than site-in and learn another load. We tried to start aiming for bone by the end of the cull....but it was surprisingly hard to do after a life time of not ruining meat!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your videos are so unusual. They are nothing like what we experiance at home and I guess I can include you in that.

As you know 'here' we hunt all day and most likely we may not even fire one shot! And thats hunting -here-.

Where you were in NZ it was the opposite. Only perhaps in trying to get that second coyote or a double on birds do we shoot like that here.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 60 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,366
Posts18,527,291
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.