Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So, I'm considering moving out west upon graduating college. I've been really thinking hard about Montana, been wanting to live there for a while now. How hard is it for residents to obtain tags for most of the animals? Are there a fair amount of over the counter tags available? I'd have no problems with cow or doe tags, but I really wouldn't want to wait years before I got a bull tag. I hunt archery, so would my chances in that respect be better for obtaining a bull tag? Currently, I'm considering the Bozeman area, FWIW. Any and all information is appreciated guys, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Scorpion; 04/21/08.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For about $100 a year you can hunt till your legs fall off. OTC tags include, elk, deer, bear, turkey, easy draws for antelope, some areas have OTC doe deer tags and doe antelope licenses are sometimes OTC depending on how the draw ends up, depending on area you can get a couple of each as well. Then you also have great upland bird and water fowl hunting, mountain lion in the winter, varmints, etc. Toss in the chance of drawing a moose/sheep/goat, and some of the worlds best fly fishing... and you're pretty much set for 12 months of non stop hunting/fishing.... never a dull moment.

There are big bucks and bulls in just about every unit in MT if you put in your time and get lucky you can kill one... EVERY YEAR!

IMO there is no comparison to MT... ID and WY are a close second, but I would still prefer MT.

The only thing that might be tough about moving there is the cost of living is pretty high considering the wages that most employers pay. The trade off would be worth it though. smile

Good luck if you decide to move there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
depends on where your at in the state versus where you want to hunt in the state.....every year a resident can hunt a mule deer or whitetail deer buck, bull elk, speed goats and black bear if you dont mind some traveling around the state, but if your from the east coast and never been here its prolly hard to fathom how big the state is, its a 10 hour drive for me, mostly on the interstate from the northeast corner to the south west and thats not the extreams of both, hell for me to get to Glacier Park which is a straight shot down the two lane Highway 2 from me, its an 8 hour drive if there arent many HP's on duty.....you can also hunt mountain lion but there is a quote system so while everyone can buy a tag the season is only open till the quota is reached.......however if you want to hunt certain units than there are draws, some of them are alot of ppl putting in for a handful of tags.......the elk and speed goat area i like to hunt is by special draw only.....

Last edited by rattler; 04/22/08.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a friend who is a Montana resident, and very active outdoors. He is recently retired, and hunts or fishes year around. He told me last year that he is paying about $1,000 a year for the various licenses and fees, but then I think he does one of everything.

My cousin who also is a resident told me he gets the senior licenses and spends less than $100 a year. He hunts deer and elk every year, and pronghorn most years.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WoW a thousand bucks???? I just paid 80 for my deer b, elk, blackbear, upland, hunting, fishing and conservation tag. I will probably spend another 100 on draws, tags and stamps.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Scorpion,

I moved from Western PA to Bozeman about two years ago, after graduating college. If you PM me a phone #, I'll give you my thoughts on any questions you have.

Carl

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Carl, PM sent.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rattler
depends on where your at in the state versus where you want to hunt in the state.....every year a resident can hunt a mule deer or whitetail deer buck, bull elk, speed goats and black bear if you dont mind some traveling around the state, but if your from the east coast and never been here its prolly hard to fathom how big the state is, its a 10 hour drive for me, mostly on the interstate from the northeast corner to the south east and thats not the extreams of both, hell for me to get to Glacier Park which is a straight shot down the two lane Highway 2 from me, its an 8 hour drive if there arent many HP's on duty.....you can also hunt mountain lion but there is a quote system so while everyone can buy a tag the season is only open till the quota is reached.......however if you want to hunt certain units than there are draws, some of them are alot of ppl putting in for a handful of tags.......the elk and speed goat area i like to hunt is by special draw only.....

Rattler, I do realize Montana is absolutely massive, especially compared to Eastern states. I doubt I'd have the time initially to be able to hunt everything, especially in the eastern portion of MT. How far west can one hunt whitetails, as I'd still like to able to do that if possible?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why not Wyoming? Lots more public land, better hunting, less people, better taxes, etc.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
how far west can yah hunt whitetails? i believe some big ones are being shot up around the Glacier area..thats pretty far west.....and then i also usually about hit one while driving through the city of Helena....any part of the city....saw a few in Helena this weekend but didnt come close to hitting one this trip.....last trip i almost smoked one coming out of the Albertson's parking lot grin would assume most any river that eventually drains into the Missouri or Yellowstone likely has whitetails along its river bottom...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ULA24
Why not Wyoming? Lots more public land, better hunting, less people, better taxes, etc.

No real specific reasons, I've just been attracted to Montana for a good while. Also, it seems like it will offer me both hunting and fishing opportunities, as I love to fish. Seems like there are also a good number of ski areas in MT, not that WY is void of them or anything. Another reason I am looking at Montana, especially around the 'cities' is because it'd be a little hard for me to find a job in my major elsewhere I think.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can hunt just about every species in MT with in an hour of Bozeman. Some of the hunting won't be quite as good as it is in the east, but its still there.

Lots of whitetail opporunity across the whole state.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rattler
how far west can yah hunt whitetails? i believe some big ones are being shot up around the Glacier area..thats pretty far west.....and then i also usually about hit one while driving through the city of Helena....any part of the city....saw a few in Helena this weekend but didnt come close to hitting one this trip.....last trip i almost smoked one coming out of the Albertson's parking lot grin would assume most any river that eventually drains into the Missouri or Yellowstone likely has whitetails along its river bottom...

Hahaha, thanks! I wasn't sure if the whitetails were that far west or not, I was hoping so. That's nice to hear, definitely.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NW Montana is great for whitetails I have 7 on my living room wall ! I live in kalispell

1 and done
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Rattler,

PM sent.

Travis.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ive seen speed goats in a valley between Helena and Great Falls on the Helana side so even the speed goats can be found "up in the mountains" not sure if they are hunted or what the draw is like if they are........

Last edited by rattler; 04/22/08.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
got it Travis, sent one back....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
In MT you can hunt whitetails all the way to the Idaho border.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I live 30 miles west of Bozeman and yes we do hunt the lopes up toward Helena, yes it's a tougher draw than the 700's but I usually get one every other year. Whitetails are great around here as well this is the headwaters of the Missouri so there's plenty of river bottom and those things are like rabbits, most of the land owners I know around here beg people they know to shoot some. Fishing is also great here, obviously plenty of trout in the rivers, but we are only 30 miles from Canyon Ferry, where the pike, walleye and perch fishing is also very good. Good luck with your quest.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

387 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 40 invisible), 13,682 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,223
Posts18,543,895
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.