Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
coolYepper, we get paid a lot of blue sky and mtn views...<g>

Dats just fine by me.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ya sure about that Mark. I havent seen the blue sky in a couple of weeks??

Hope the toothers are better

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx, man does it ever suck to have stitches in the mouth...!

Drives me freakin crazy...<g> perhaps that's why I had to make a gun smith run today!

Dobro

you got time for lunch or breakfast one of these days? or you can stop by on Saturday at our new Gallatin Heights subdivision office. I'll be there from 4-6 tomorrow and 11-4 on Saturday. Most of tomorrow I'll be in my Big Sky office...that or hittin the river for some of those terrible tasting fish

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably not this week. I have overtime at work and my wife wants to go watch the horses run threw three forks tomorrow. Next week would be better for me.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BALDERDASH
It was touched on earlier, but there are'n't many good paying jobs in Montana. that could easily effect your decision.

I have a son in Missoula and I get out there once or twice every year. Great country - Poor economy.

that really depends on what yah do......yeah high paying jobs compared to back east or So Cal are rare but depending on where your at in the state you can live pretty darn cheap. there are actually quite a few really good paying jobs in the state, problem is lining up one in your chosen field..........

a note on the economy.....at the moment the wife and i combined make around $35,000 yet we prolly live more comfortably than a couple making $150,000+ a year in southern California....we have a 2,000 square foot house plus attached garage, sitting on a lot and a half, the house was newly remodeled, we purchased the house 2 years ago and yet we have no problems making the house payment, the car payment, the food, water heat and power bills and still find the time to take off on long weekends to hunt, fish, camp, have enough extra $$ for the odd new/used rifle or whatever.......if yah just look at the numbers yah those of us in Montana, especially eastern Montana dont make alot of money........but it dont take alot to live here comfortably....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I was looking at my book on places to retire for military folks, and the data for Great Falls, MT says 169 days a year with temps 32 deg F or lower. When my wife saw that, she allowed as how the dog and I would probably be very happy in Montana but she would not be coming. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
HunterJim,
I've had the same problem in convincing my wife to get a retirement home in or around Missoula. Missoula's climate is more temperate than Great Falls, but still no luck.
By the way, my son in Missoula called this evening to say that he was getting a little snow. Maybe the wife is right! (Please don't tell her I said that!)

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
So ya wanna move to Montana, eh?

4" of snow on the ground this am and no end in sight today! argh!

The more the better.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BALDERDASH
It was touched on earlier, but there are'n't many good paying jobs in Montana. that could easily effect your decision.

I have a son in Missoula and I get out there once or twice every year. Great country - Poor economy.

FWIW, I'd be looking into jobs in the Civil Engineering field. I was doing some searches for engineering firms/jobs around Bozeman, did have a little bit of luck, nothing major though. As far as cost of living, it's probably less than what I'm paying for college right now, since I'm living in the heart of a pretty big city. Plus, if most of my 'payment' was a big sky and wilderness to roam, I'd be pretty well fine with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scorpion, You may want to PM Carl Ross. He is from Pennsylvania and a engineer.

SH08
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
kenaiking,

I have Carl's number and will hopefully be giving him a ring this evening. Thank you though!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Scorpion, if your into the white, this is the April to be here!

I'll be free anytime this weekend to chat, if you wish.

Carl

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Okay, awesome. Would it be alright if I called in an hour or two?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You bet.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Call it gopher hunting, gopher shooting, target practice or gopher plinking, it's just plain fun. Round here it's a family affair. And yes, the snow make's them stand out real nice. I'd have to agree, the wage's in Montana ain't great but the view, the pepole and the outdoor opportunity's are well worth the trade off. What better place to raise a family...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Originally Posted by Brad
So ya wanna move to Montana, eh?

4" of snow on the ground this am and no end in sight today! argh!

The more the better.

Uh, you might feel that way now sitting in spring bliss, but after a lot of winters that go on and on you might not wink

But you're the better one to judge that so come on out!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was gonna move (back) to Montana, I would like that valley along I90 between Livingston and Billings, but it has been so long since I have been through there I cannot remember the exact location or the name...
frown

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tim, could be the Shields on the West side of the Crazies (the Shields is a bit East and North of Livingston). My little slice of Montana is up in the Shields. That place is still like MT was in the 50's which is saying a lot. Or, perhaps, the Boulder River country south of Big Timber? Maybe the front of the Beartooth down towards Red Lodge?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beartooths, that's it!
I went to Red Lodge with my girlfriend at the time back in like 1993?
Beautiful country!!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's nice country Tim. Love the whole front of the Beartooth. My favorite backpacking is in there...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,516
Posts18,509,564
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.