Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
My son is 11 and will be able to hunt this year. I need to get him his first hunting rifle. I intially thought about getting him a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62X39 but now I'm considering a different direction, a TC Encore rifle. I haven't made up my mind on caliber yet for big game hunting, but I would definetly get a .223 barrel for it, so he could shoot priarie dogs with me all summer. My "gun fund" isn't all that big, but I could afford the Encore with 2 barrels and scope(s). I like the fact that he would have the same type of action familarity and would be able to get in lots of practice (shooting prairie dogs) and it not costing as much.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.

I support world peace...one carefully placed round at a time.
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the idea. What calibers do you have in mind? Do you hand load? Personally I like the idea of a .30/30 in a single shot.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have one for me with several barrels. My daughter still loves that gun but I won't let her have it. Mine has accounted for many a dead critter. I think your idea is right on.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing wrong with that choice. Teach him to make the first shot count.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like a single shot for kids, and in the days before Encores, I started both my sons with a NEF 223. My oldest son has taken up basketball and quit hunting, but my youngest son has been shooting an Encore 270 for several years. He is very good with it too. [Linked Image]

Last edited by retrieverman; 04/23/08.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started out with a Rem742 30/06. I relied a shot number 2 or 3 too many times. My dad always new when It was me shooting at deer. Kinda a fire-fight. Your son will do well with a T/C.

I now only carry a T/C MZ or a well made bolt gun

Wade

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I got a stainless 223 Bergara barrel for my mz when mz season closed I put it on. I'm still learning about working up loads but am able to get less than 1 inch groups with benchmark and 40gr. nbt. The reason I mentioned Bergara is I've seen several shooting less than an inch and they cost less. Also I let David White cut the qla off my mz barrel and went from shooting 3 inch groups to arround 1 inch with the first load I tried and called it good. I think you would be pleased with the Encore.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
firedude,

I got my 11 year old Son a T/C pro hunter .50 for deer. I just finished warking up loads for a T/C custom shop 250-3000 barrel in sporter contour (26") for him ...and me of course. (grin)

The 250-3000 groups .515 for 4 shots with handloads. Just a pleasure to carry and shoot. I am impressed with the cartridge and its performance on paper.

The T/C switch barrel rifle is just perfect for the newer hunters in your family.

Doc

Doc

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I raised 3 kids and have taught several hundred others to shoot. I always started them out on single shot 22 rifles, single shot shotguns, and single shot centerfire rifles.

When I was teaching my kids to shot the Encore was not available.

You are on the right track with the Encore. I have an Encore with 5 barrels.

Depending on the caliber you chose for deer you my want to replace the recoil pad with a Limbsaver pad.

I would recommend a .257 Roberts barrel. It is very mild recoiling caliber. With a bullet range of 75 gr to 120 gr, this caliber is good for very thing from prairie dogs to mule deer.

Some on this sight will tell you that the Encore is an ugly piece of junk but don�t believe it. The stock does look odd but they shot great.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have both T/C Encores & Contenders, but like the contender much more. I would start a child with a G-2 carbine with 22lr, 223 & 7-30/30-30 barrels. To me the contender is a much better balanced rifle & the 7-30 is a really good deer round to use up to 200 yds.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Wow firedude, I thought for sure you were going to get beat up for asking that question smile

good to see you haven't been linched yet!!

I have a stainless & walnut TC encore. Purchased as a .50 ML & the only other barrel I have for it is a stainless .243

I had that thing scoped with a silver FFII 3-9...... WTF did i do with that scope now?

goll dang it???

I know it's unscoped now but.... what the heck???

You know what ole normy from cheers says agout the brain cells being like buffalo? I think I musta killed some of the strong ones cause I can't remember what I.... Oh yeah!! I put it on a stainless thumbhole savage 17HMR... whew!!! thought i lost it for a minute there!!! smile

anyways, I've loaned the stainless .243 encore rig out to my cousin's wife who suddenly wanted to deer hunt, she is very unexperienced with firearms or hunting & i felt it was perfect for her, simple. And mine does very well with the factory sights that came on the barrel too.

Something clever here.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks for the responses.

TC claims the the Encore "Hunter" model's stock decreases felt recoil by 43%. Anyone have any experience with that model?

I shoot a .308 and if the TC propaganda is accurate I was considering getting my son a barrel in the same caliber. I do load my own and have considered a reduced recoil load, but if the stock works as advertised it may not have to be a consideration. I will also be getting him a barrel in .223 for prairie dogs (the same caliber I use).

Thanks.

I support world peace...one carefully placed round at a time.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't know about 43% but they do have a good limbsaver pad. My uncle has a 243 barrel on his pro hunter and recoil is mild. I know its a 243 so it would be pretty mild anyway. Another thing that I'm shure helps is they are not extremely light and with the little longer barrel it probably helps with muzzle blast.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the idea. I started mine with bolts, but like single shots fine for deer hunting.

stumpy

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Firedude

TC claims the the Encore "Hunter" model's stock decreases felt recoil by 43%. Anyone have any experience with that model?

I don't know about 43% felt recoil reduction but it certainly has at least 43% more buck rodgerism to it. grin

"so I got that goin for me, which is nice..."

Something clever here.

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
retrieverman,

If that were my son I'd have a sweatshirt made of that picture. You have every right to be proud of him. Really nice buck! I'm n Encore fan too!

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Absolutely not....terrible kids' gun. Paritcularly in .22 Hornet. My son took one to RSA in 2001, and had terrible results. totally inadequate for impala:

[Linked Image]

never work for blesbok:

[Linked Image]

and of course, springbok is out of the question:

[Linked Image]

actually, it was a great kids gun (he was 11), I particularly like the ability to carry it open and visually empty. and it is wonderfully light and compact for carrying....and he carried it on some long, long walks.

He's bigger than me now, and uses whatever he wants from the safe, but will always have a soft spot for that little Contender.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a contender that I would like to set up as a rifle. I have 7 tc/u, 30/30 and 4570 barrels for it all in pistol configuration. I think the only way to get rifle length barrells today would be JDJones. Anyone know of other sources? I live in Canada.
Randy the feeble old medic at work and taking a break

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The flextech stock works. I'd put a Limbsaver pad on my original stock and when I bought a 375 H&H barrel I got a flextech stock too. I shot the 375 with the Limbsaver equipped original stock and then put the new stock on. The difference was noticable. Definitely worth the money.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can get Contender full length barrels from lots of sources. My favorite guy is www.edstc.com . Ed is a nice guy and resonable on price too.

Call him, his website in not up to date.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 26 invisible), 1,872 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.