-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Our season opened on Monday, April 21st. Had to work Monday and first half of Tuesday. Got loaded and headed north 2 1/2 hours - hit two spots real quick with no luck. Third was a charm. Saw a nice tom out in a hay field and tried to close the distance on the adjacent property to call him in. Let out a few yelps and had two toms on the other side of me start gobbling. Definitely caught in the cross-fire. Had no time at all to set up. Kept working the birds easy, and it sounded like they were coming. Then they seemed to hang-up so I just shut-up. Waited about 5 minutes, and sure enough, looked over and saw this bird on the edge of the woods looking for me. About 35 yards. He came in silent. Love showing up at turkey camp, WITH my bird - second time I've been that lucky. Sure made the rest of the week a lot of fun.

10 inch beard, 1 inch spurs, weighed 22.5 pounds. Not bad at all for my area.

[Linked Image]

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." - Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice bird, it's always fun.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Indeed, it's always fun. Gonna try to call one in for a buddy next weekend. Hopefully the birds will be hot.

[Linked Image]

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." - Mark Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
great bird, congrats

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice Bird, Congrats!

What kind of camera were you using? The color and detail really came out well in the pics.

Have a Good One,

Reloader7RM

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Was using my new Canon PowerShot SD870 IS digital ELPH. Too me, the actual images I've taken so far with it look blurry out on the edges, and the colors look a bit dull - suppose that might be more realistic to some. Still dabbling with it - sure was easy with my OLD Nikon Coolpix 4300 though. BTW, hunting solo means taking pictures solo too (as per above). I always throw a tripod in.

DB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a great looking bird!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We got ours the same day, Mecosta County. Thet came for the dekes so fast we had to shoot in self defense!
I'll try to attach a pic, never did that before...

Attached Images
9888-turkeypic1.jpg (62.74 KB, 27 downloads)

"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nice looking rope on the one for sure! Did you shoot the fan, or are they wet? Nice job - love it when they respond. I hunt in Isabella County btw - pretty close to Mecosta.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
DB:
I grabbed the tail to spread it as an afterthought, just before the camera snapped, and didn't get it spread very well. It was kind of scraggly though, not sure why.
We saw 8 or 10 toms for every hen, could be why they were so eager to meet the decoys. Maybe they'd been fighting. Now that I think of it, they did ride home in coolers with plenty of ice becuase it was so hot that day.
Left bird went 20.5# on my digital scale, 9.5" beard.
Mine, on the right, was 18.9# and 11 whole inches of chest hair.

Gotta watch out you don't get your deer with your bumper up there, eh?

Last edited by sourmash; 05/01/08.

-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Funny you should say that; hit one going 60 mph on the way home Sunday morning - air-bag went off and all.

They are everywhere!

Gonna try for a turkey for my buddy this weekend, but sposed to rain lots. We'll see.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
OUCH...
We had to stop & let 16 or 17 walk in front of us near Canadian Lakes. They think they own the road.

-Mark Twain
~ Winston Churchill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

428 members (19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 16,915 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,875
Posts18,538,034
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.