Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
lucznik Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
So I have a question about reducing pack weight but, I want to address this question in terms of things that can be done without buying new/lighter stuff. In other words:

1. What have you done to your existing gear to minimize its weight?

and

2. What things have you ended up leaving behind because despite initially thinking you would want them, you never actually used them?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
how long of a trip are we talking here? My weekend pack is a joke , my 12 day pack is different.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
This is actually a very hard question to answer. Without going into massive detail, all I can say is try everything. Scrutinize and thoroughly think about each item you are taking. Getting a scale that measures in ounces and grams helps a whole lot, weigh everything. Then decide what can be left behind, by experimenting and by just really thinking about whether or not each item is needed. Try not to pack re-dundant items, try and make each item be useful for more than one use, and buy carefully.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This may apply to you if you are backpacking with one or more companions,I know over the years hiking with my sons we have cut massive amounts of wieght by sharing the load. One guy usually packing the tent while one packs the single water filter/cooking gear and the third core meal food and luxury items.It seems like the more you back pack the more you refine and learn exactly what it is you can live without....Id say we are down right around 35 lbs for a typical 3 day spring shed hunt in the snake and salmon breaks country.Things that I no longer bring would include a small gas powered lantern or an insane amount of ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whenever I do this, I start with a list.

Give us the framework for the trip (duration, expected conditions, alone or with a group), and let's lay out the gear, with weights, and go from there.

I'll dig into my lists later if it will help.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
When I went at going as light as possible I bought a few items, bag/silshelter/mattress that were so minimal they didn't work well enough to make the traveling team. I still travel plenty light but I've found adding about 3-4 lbs total on those items really made for a more comfortable camp. At this point I have so much good gear in the closet I can pick and choose based on the duration/season etc. some overnights are 14lbs and others with the tipi/stove/chair saw and ax get up in the 40 range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this should prove to be an interesting thread...

i have just started doing the same...
scrutinizing everything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are packing with others, then the easiest way to reduce weight is to cooperate with each other - you can split-up a two man tent and carry half each. You dont' need two water filters, two stoves, etc. Just divide the things that you can share.

No amount of high tech gear can compare to cooperating.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
...lol...

Leave more gear home.

Like others have said, remove redundancy and increase multi-use items.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Less of everything is the only way your gonna achieve dropping pack weight without spending some money on lighter stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried for years to do the same thing, less weight without buying expensive lightweight gear.

I found that although I have never needed certain items in my pack I felt irresponsible to be without them.

I now upgrade my gear all the time, it can be expensive but it is well worth it.
Buying a titanium spork for 10 bucks or a titanim cup for 30 does seem ridiculous, but you wont ever second guess going light while you are climbing up the mountain.

KC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Once I have my pack down to a reasonable weight I take a look at my gut. No sense going to the ends of the earth to drop 2 lbs. from my pack if I'm carrying around an extra 10 everywhere I go.

L
lucznik Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Sorry, I should have given more detail to begin with. My bad. I was in a bit of a rush at the time.

I have some backpacking experience (though nothing like some of you.) The problem is that I always seem to end up with a pack that weighs somewhere around 50 lbs. I personally only weigh 125 lbs and so my pack is a full 40% of my body weight. And that's not counting my rifle.

The trip I am looking at will be 4 days up some pretty nasty terrain. I will be going in with some other guys (not sure just how many yet - at least one possibly as many as three) but, I will be away from them for at least some part of the hunt so; I need to pretty much plan for my own solo camp.

Buying all new pack, utensils, stove, clothes, etc. is just not an option so; I'm trying to pare down the weight as best I can without trying to replace everything. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something fundamental that could make a real difference.

Water is very heavy (and not always easy to find where we will be hunting) so my friend and I will be taking one or two trips during the summer to pack water into our main camp location so that on the actual hunt we don't have to pack much.

I realize that it will be almost impossible to get my gear down to 20-25 lbs. but, I'd like to get as close as possible.

Here is my basic list (not counting food items.)

• Pack - either a Wenzel hiking pack or a (smaller) Bridger Mountain hunting pack

• Binoculars - Leupold Golden Ring 8x42

• Spotting Scope - this is one piece of gear I'm looking to buy.

• Tripod - Gorilla pod + ball head

• Rangefinder + Extra Batteries - Bushnell YP 800

• Water Bag(s) - Fieldline

• 1-man tent - unknown brand

• Digital Camera - Nikon Coolpix 2100

• Headlamp - Gerber

• Flashlight + Extra Batteries - Princeton Tech

• Sleeping Bag - Kelty Light Year +25

• Sleeping Pad - Simple closed-cell foam

• Cook Set - similar to the ones you find at your neighborhood Wally World

• Backpack Stove + Fuel Canister(s) - Coleman Peak 1

• Fire Starter(s)

• Rope - 50 ft.

• Knife - Bucklite

• Sharpener

• TP & Wipes

• Game Bags

• Hand Warmers

• License/Tags/ID

• Flagging Tape

• Wind Detector

• Map

• Compass - Brunton

• GPS + Extra Batteries - Garmin GPS 12

• Iodine Tablets

• Drugs

• Duct Tape

• SuperGlue

• Multiplier + accessory tools - Gerber

• Note Pad & Pen

• Garbage Sack(s)

• Clothes - One set + 2-3 pairs of socks

• boots - this is the other piece of gear up for a definite change

• 2-way radio - Uniden 12-mile GMRS

• rain gear - Red Ledge

• Rifle + ammo - Ruger M77 Compact Rifle in 7-08

Last edited by lucznik; 04/30/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've gradually accumulated lighter items to replace heavier items over the years. For example, when I replaced my sleeping bag about 5 or 6 years ago the new one I purchased was significantly lighter. I've done the same with several other items. I don't get hung up on weighing items though. I've got several pardners who do. The way I figure it is that it's either too heavy or it's not. Weighing it doesn't make that determination for me. I'm also the guy who is always overprepared. Look, [bleep] happens to me that doesn't happen to other people. Anyway, SnowyMountaineer gave some of the best advice above that I usually give my friends. It's always easier for most people to shed five pounds of weight off their bodies than it is from their gear. Note, I said most people not all.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll give you my view of your list without even knowing what brands your using.

Headlamp + Flashlight? How many lights do you need? I also try to use electronic devices that use the same batteries and I dont cary very many extras, a couple (AAA).

Knife+ Sharpener + multiplier+ accessory tools.. I would simplify that

Cook set...or a lightweight pot?

handwarmers??/ How man of them do you take. I never carry them when backpacking

Firestarters? that can be simply some cotton balls soaked in vaseline in a film case or heavy fire starting sticks

Duct Tape??? Thats a new one to me for backpack hunts, some extra electrical tape is all I have ever carried or seen others carry

These are just quick observations of your list, I dont know how much your bag weighs or your shelter but if you are planning to be solo, you should be able to do both for 5 lbs or less. Of course not knowing what season you'll be out, hence what clothes you'll need its hard to put togther a weight in my head of where you should be. I can tell you that I go in right at 45 lbs for a 7 day sheep hunt and have never not had everything I need +. Leaving things behind used to be so hard to do, so many what if's in your head but after enough trips you realize what you really need and what you dont.

L
lucznik Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I'll give you my view of your list without even knowing what brands your using.

Headlamp + Flashlight? How many lights do you need? I also try to use electronic devices that use the same batteries and I dont cary very many extras, a couple (AAA).

Knife+ Sharpener + multiplier+ accessory tools.. I would simplify that

Cook set...or a lightweight pot?

handwarmers??/ How man of them do you take. I never carry them when backpacking

Firestarters? that can be simply some cotton balls soaked in vaseline in a film case or heavy fire starting sticks

Duct Tape??? Thats a new one to me for backpack hunts, some extra electrical tape is all I have ever carried or seen others carry

These are just quick observations of your list, I dont know how much your bag weighs or your shelter but if you are planning to be solo, you should be able to do both for 5 lbs or less. Of course not knowing what season you'll be out, hence what clothes you'll need its hard to put togther a weight in my head of where you should be. I can tell you that I go in right at 45 lbs for a 7 day sheep hunt and have never not had everything I need +. Leaving things behind used to be so hard to do, so many what if's in your head but after enough trips you realize what you really need and what you dont.

I've edited my list to include - as much as I can remember - the brands of the gear I currently have.

I definitely need to pare down my knives. I always have too many - even day to day I have at least two in my pockets.

I carry a couple handwarmers - mostly to warm my sleeping bag if it gets really cold. I probably could get rid of them.

The duct tape (I only take about 20 ft. or so) is my primary first aid kit. Splint, bandaid, eye patch, you name it - duct tape can do it.

firestarters are 4-5 paraffin soaked cotton balls, some waterproof matches, a mini Bic lighter, and a flint/striker. (Perhaps I have one or two too many... grin )

I do seem to have a lot of batteries and battery powered stuff. Hmmm...

This will be a late-September trip.

Thanks for your advise.

Last edited by lucznik; 04/30/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dude I totally understand where your at, and no one wants somebody throwing chit out of their pack and telling them that they dont need it. Because its in there because you have a visual in your head of why you need it. It takes a few runs before you realize what you really need and what you really dont. For example, I used to carry multiple knives and now I carry one folding lightweight serrated folding Gerber and a 2 blade swiss army (the real thin one, razor sharp) for detail work, ears, lips,joints and skull work. I can cut up and debone an entire animal with those 2 knives and have done it. Lightening a pack is tuff and truly, one of the easiest ways to do it is by slowly replacing one item at a time with lighter gear but it does get expensive. Your not a big fella so I totally understand your concerns about pack weight and thats before you fill it with meat and horns, thats when chit really gets interesting!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you're going to stash water, stash some food too. Your food choices could make a big weight difference. I have done shorter trips like you are planning with only RTE meals and left the cookery and fuel behind. Not everybody's first choice but I was shooting for a similar weight goal as you are and it got me there.

I don't see a coat/jacket or gloves, but I see handwarmers on your list. Is this an early season, warm weather trip?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's an old list:

Custom .308: 5-12
Nylon sling. 0-2
12 cartridges (.308 150-grain) 0-9.9

Zeiss 10x42 FL, in shoulder harness 2-0.2
Rangefinder: Leica 1200 scan 0-13.5
Benchmade w/nylon sheath 0.5.5
1 Silva Compass with mirror 0-2.8
1 Garmin 12 GPS (old but good), with FRESH batteries. 0-9
Appropriate maps, waterproofed.

Meindl Tetons with Superfeet (worn) 4-3.8
2 pairs of Redhead lifetime merino wool socks (unREAL socks) (1 worn) 0-5.5 (x2)
1 set of Patagonia Capilene lightweights top 0-8
1 set of Patagonia Capilene lightweight bottoms 0-8
1 set of 100 weight Polarfleece pants 0-12
1 set of Swedish mil-surp wool pants, six pocket. (worn) 2-14
1 LW 1" nylon belt (worn) 0-2
1 long sleeve microfleece shirt (worn) 0-11.5
1 packable down jacket 1-9.6
1 Patagonia Ether shell 1-5.1
1 beanie 0-3
1 LW baseball cap 0-2
1 set of polarized sunglasses with leash 0-0.9
1 set of lined leather work gloves
Lip balm

1 Kelty Clark Tent (I hate bivies) with stakes 4-1.7
1 Feathered Friends Ibis PTFE 3-8.2

1 Dana Designs Loadmaster Longbed 9-0
1 Platypus bladder/hose/clip/nozzle 0-3.7

Food. Five days means:

11 packets instant oatmeal (2 per morning, 1 spare) 0-13.8
3 pounds trail mix (1/2 pound a day on the trail, 1/2 spare) 3-0
5 PowerBars 0-11.5
1 pack jerky (gotta have it) 0-4
5 Mountain House double serving packets of Chicken a la king
all dumped into two ziplocks ... no packaging or accoutrements required 2-0
5 ounces Slimfast Optima powdered drink 5-0
1 Lexan spoon 0-0.3
1 milsurp aluminum half-canteen container 0-4.1

100' parachute cord 0-4
1 torch lighter 0-1.4
1 waterproof container with 15 REI stormproof matches 0-1.0
2 firestarter sticks (or waxed soaked cotton, or steel wool, etc.) 0-1.2
1 LED headlamp with FRESH batteries 0-6
20 feet orange flagging 0-0.8
My backpacking first aid kit 0-8
1 ziploc with 10 or so babywipes.
4 extra AA batteries 0-2.5
1 large Hefty bag 0-2.5
1 large pillowcase (meat sack) 0-5

Thermarest 2-12
Polecat alum hiking staff 0-11.6

1 small aluminum-tubed cigar for when I finish the pack out. 0-0.4

Primus MFS stove, potholder 1-4.9
Snowpeak Giga Power fuel canister 0-7
MSR Cookset 1-0.6
1000ml Primus alum fuel bottle 0-5

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
surprisingly you can save little bits of weight, nothing major mind you by careful looking

i.e. I don't use a titanim cup though I have them, I use an old school aluminum measure cup as it's lighter, even an old McDonalds plastic cup is lighter than my titanium cups

repackaging food saves weight

and while I've whittled on existing gear (such as a rifle, that ain't cheap, cheaper to buy a newer lightweight) toothbrush, tripod etc. I managed to stop short of drilling holes in my raingear and boots to save weight!

agree with taking a critical look at redundant gear, but truthfully if you're ever going to save big time weight, afraid technology is the answer.
just do it smart, one piece of gear per year and don't waste Xmas, father's days, birthdays etc. on stuff you don't want, explain to your loved ones THIS is your passion and give them gift ideas to give you

in a couple of years, you'll have gained some real ground or at least lightened your load a bit.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 36 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,854
Posts18,517,634
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.