Print Thread
Hop To
M
Miketwo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I've had my new Olympic Ultramatch for about a month now,and finally got to get some blood on it.

Two giant feral hogs in as many days.
The first estimated at 250# hit in the eye DRT!

The second estimated @ 300# behind the shoulder DRT!
Load was Black Hills 50 gr V-Max.
Both at about 100 yards standing still.
Not exactly a hog load,but it's what I had at the time,and here in Texas you have to kill them when you can.
In fact,I think it's illegal to let them walk wink
Mike

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I never would have guessed the 50gr. V-Max could do that kind of damage, especially the shoulder shot. I use that bullet extensively out of all my AR's and it is hell on Pdogs/gophers, but that devastating on a hog?

Please don't post such results. You can bet some guy will read it and will be carrying it next year as his go-to elk bullet........grin.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Please don't post such results. You can bet some guy will read it and will be carrying it next year as his go-to elk bullet........grin.

[/quote]

Nawwww. I tried that last year!....

just kidding... cool

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, but I bet you found the perfect load for it using only 20grs. of some perfect, non-fouling powder that shoots lights out consistently everytime!!

And I'm stuck trying to figure out how I'm going to get my 50gr. V-Max movin' consistently along with enough juice to kill a gopher using my barrel foulin' H335........grin.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hey it worked. Way to go on the hogs, two less in our state. A good solid head shot will usually work but I think you got by on the one behind the shoulder shot. I've known them to be hit behind the shoulder with 30/06's and 300 mags. and run off and here in the south Tx. brush country you don't want to have to track 'em in our heavy brush. Like you said its what you happened to have at the time. Comparing apples to oranges here but, I have a friend that shot one with a 223 WSSM, got 'em behind the ear in the neck at 260 yards DRT. Things do happen. When I go after hogs I use a larger caliber rifle and shoot for the neck head area. Shot one with a 30/06 too far back once and had to track 'em 150 yds. in the brush and that was no fun but, I found him dead. Keep those shots in the neck head area at reasonble ranges.

IC B2

M
Miketwo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Yes,
I'd never go after hogs on purpose with a 223,but like I said it's what I had.I'd take my 7X57 loaded with 175's.
I ordered this weapon with a 1-8 twist,and I'm going to work up a load with a much heavier bullet.
On a side note,I had a good friend killed in an auto accident dodging the sorry bastrds,so it's kinda personal for me.If I have a pellet gun with me and see some,I'll take a shot.
They're hell on fences,and hay fields too.
Mike

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I felt you didn't go after hogs purposely with a 223. I'm like you though, its what you happen to have at the time. I hunt coyotes with my DPMS and if a hog steps out at a reasonable distance, say 100yds or so, I'll shoot at 'em too. They are really destructive around here. They ruin pastures, roads and feeders with their rooting. By the way wideners.com has some good prices on 62gr Priv Partizan ammo. I ordered some 55gr, its M193, in 55 gr. from them and it shoots good. Its 5.56 marked and since my rifle is 5.56 it works great. Mine is a 1-9 twist. Keep that Oly running. What handloads are you running?

M
Miketwo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I haven't handloaded for 223 yet,but I bought 250 rounds of Black Hills 69 gr Sierra matchkings,and they shoot VERY good.
Still not a hog bullet though.
I wish Nosler would come out with a 75 gr partition.
I may look at TSX also.
Mike

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,900
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.