Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
tbear99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
he looked like he had energy enough for longer races so he might i also would like to see it.Maybe even attend preakness to witness it on person

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
GB1

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
tbear...I've been to the Preakness 4 times in my life. What a wonderful race and day. I even saw some horses once!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I know little about horses - can someone explain why broken ankles are so serious an injury that it requires euthanasia in many cases? Are a horse's ankles its "Achilles Heel" so to speak - those delicate bones having to support the weight of the horse? Couldn't a sling be crafted to support the horse to allow some sort of recovery over time?

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
T
tbear99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
well picture it this way both front ankles broke so animal can't stand and no way to keep them off there feet so the injuries would never heal and the horse would go through unneccesay pain.So you put them down if only one they would of tried healing like they did with barbaro last year.The horse i don't beloeve would tolerate the sling but maybe possible

Not an achiles heal per say but sorta

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by shreck
Curious here, do they take eggs from fillies like they would take sperm from a male? (well not exactly grin )
I understand the rules about breeding for certain races, which is why Barbaro had to be destroyed, he couldn't mount.
But are there rules for breeding mares?

Sad, I also noticed they didn't show any footage of the incident, although I might have missed it. It will be on youtube by tomorrow.

In The Jockey Club (Thoroughbred association), you can't register foals sired by artificial insemination (no collecting semen) so I'm sure that embryo transfer is a no go either. This keeps the stud fees high and good mares expensive. I hated to see her go down too. I'm sure the owners weren't happy either. Besides loosing a good horse, they probably lost a couple $100,000 foals in the deal.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something." Plato
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For animal lovers the world over - it doesn't get much sadder than this. What a magnificent filly she was!

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Big Brown won the 134th Kentucky Derby on Saturday at Churchill Downs. Obviously, he came as advertised, arriving at the wire comfortably ahead, in what was only the fourth race of his career. He upheld every confident prediction made by his trainer, Rick Dutrow, during the week leading up to the Derby. He overcame a prodigious collection of historical obstacles and won from Post 20 with unmitigated authority.

The most valiant effort in the Derby, however, was not Big Brown's. He established his superiority with aplomb.

Eight Belles ran her heart out -- and she was all heart. Eighteen males finished behind her. The nearest, Denis of Cork, was 2� lengths in her wake and overmatched, while the others staggered toward the wire outclassed not only by Big Brown, but by the only filly in the field whose effort will be remembered in eulogy rather than history.

Eight Belles' heart carried her to places she had never been, surrounded by a thundering phalanx of horses, racing a distance that carried them all into the unknown, well beyond any in her experience. For every stride of 10 furlongs she gave everything she had, then, the race over, a statement made in exclamation, she gave her life.

Eight Belles ran on with a courageous determination seen in few horses -- the best horses, the horses you remember -- running the race of her life, which would not see another sunrise. She followed the early speed, and ran past them when they tired. Though Big Brown ran past her -- no horse was going to beat Big Brown on Saturday -- the others never threatened Eight Belles.

Thirty-nine fillies have run in the Derby. Three won. Only one other, Lady Navarre in 1906, finished second. After delivering what was by any measure a truly remarkable effort -- one of the five best by a female in the Derby in 134 years -- Eight Belles galloped beyond the wire and around the clubhouse turn beneath jockey Gabriel Saez. Entering the backstretch, her front ankles collapsed simultaneously. While a crowd of 157,770 thundered in salute to Big Brown's victory, she fell.

"She started galloping funny and I tried to pull her up," Saez said, "but she went down."

When veterinarians reached the spot at which the gunmetal-grey filly lay motionless, there was no choice. Eight Belles was euthanized. Her heart had carried her to a place beyond where her legs were meant to go.

"She didn't have a leg to stand on," said Dr. Larry Bramlage, the on-call veterinarian who represents the American Association of Equine Practitioners. "In my years in racing, I have never seen this happen. This was tough enough had it been one, but it happened in both and it happened on the same stride. She just collapsed right in front of the outrider, so there was not really any warning.

"When horses really tire they are taking a lot of load on the skeleton because their muscles are fatigued. So, we will occasionally see a catastrophic injury after the wire, when the horse is slowing down. The difficult thing to explain with her is that it was so far after the wire and she was easing down like you'd like to see a horse slow down by that point. Then, all of a sudden, she goes over the brink in both legs. I don't have an explanation because I have no background to draw on. I've never seen anything like this before."

Trainer Larry Jones, awaiting the return of the filly to be unsaddled, was celebrating her effort a year after Hard Spun, whom he trained for the same owner, finished second in the 2007 Derby, unaware of the cruel fate that met Eight Belles until he saw Saez return on the back of a pony ridden by broadcaster Donna Brothers.

"We were kind of high-fiving. But then horses came back, were unsaddled and led off the track. Someone said, 'That's your rider on that pony,'" Jones said. "I said, 'What's up?' He gave me a hug and said, 'Mr. Jones, they put her down.' Both cannon bones were broken when I got to her."

It is not insignificant that Eight Belles was withdrawn from Friday's Kentucky Oaks, which was won by her stablemate, Proud Spell. But a decision by owner Rick Porter to run probably the best 3-year-old filly in the nation against 19 males in the Derby put her in the precarious position that she overcame on sheer talent at the cost of her life. She proved her owner's point, but the cost was far too great.

"She ran the race of her life," Jones said. "We were through racing; all we had to do was come home. There's a reason for everything, but I see no reason for this. The main thing is that she didn't suffer. She went out in a blaze of glory. � Losing an animal like this �

"I don't know what to say."

Paul Moran is a two-time winner of the Media Eclipse Award, and has received various honors from the National Association of Newspaper Editors, Society of Silurians, Long Island Press Club and Long Island Veterinary Medical Association. He has also been given the Red Smith Award for his coverage of the Kentucky Derby. Paul maintains paulmoranattheraces.blogspot.com and can be contacted at paulmoran47hotmail.com.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Supermag
Originally Posted by shreck
Curious here, do they take eggs from fillies like they would take sperm from a male? (well not exactly grin )
I understand the rules about breeding for certain races, which is why Barbaro had to be destroyed, he couldn't mount.
But are there rules for breeding mares?

Sad, I also noticed they didn't show any footage of the incident, although I might have missed it. It will be on youtube by tomorrow.

In The Jockey Club (Thoroughbred association), you can't register foals sired by artificial insemination (no collecting semen) so I'm sure that embryo transfer is a no go either. This keeps the stud fees high and good mares expensive. I hated to see her go down too. I'm sure the owners weren't happy either. Besides loosing a good horse, they probably lost a couple $100,000 foals in the deal.

Is there any market for the eggs at all? Horses not destined for the Kentucky Derby ect.
Oh well, such a loss.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
T
tbear99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
bc thanx for post gives more insight

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very sad indeed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This ankle thing is nothing new. The horse racing crowd has bred the strength out of the legs to make them lighter and faster. It's considered to be a calculated risk.
200 years ago (before stop watches were invented), these races were run in heats and the distances were as much as 5 miles. During a day of racing, a good horse might run 20 miles in heats. No race horse today could stand that. They're faster today, no doubt, but not nearly as durable.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
A lot of flat track horses that don't make it wind up as steeplechase, hunter-jumpers or three day eventers etc which is every bit as stressful as racing. Usually the blame for breakdowns is laid at the door of racing before physical maturity.

They breed for speed but if they breed for weak "ankles," I'm not aware of it. Too tragic to argue about right now, so this is just offerede as another perspective. YMMV

It's just not right that a filly with so much heart should be done in in such a way.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
I know little about horses - can someone explain why broken ankles are so serious an injury that it requires euthanasia in many cases? Are a horse's ankles its "Achilles Heel" so to speak - those delicate bones having to support the weight of the horse? Couldn't a sling be crafted to support the horse to allow some sort of recovery over time?

They don't tolerate being suspended well, or any limitation, for that matter. Some do better than others, but none do well and the fear of reinjury is always there. A horse's whole psyche is based on mobility. Even on fractures that can be repaired with plates etc they frequently become frantic during convalescense and tear up the repair. I'm confident they would have done it differently if they could.

They probably should have put Barbaro down before they did. When he reinjured the leg, his fate was sealed. I'm sure the attempt was partly about money, but Barbaro was another horse that the public took to because he had heart and the public pressure was tremendous.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

They breed for speed but if they breed for weak "ankles," I'm not aware of it. Too tragic to argue about right now, so this is just offerede as another perspective. YMMV

Weak ankles wasn't their objective, but it's the result. There are millons of working horses in the world that take a day to day beating far greater than a 1 1/4 mile race, and they do it for year after year without injury. They'd never match up to a thoroughbred in a race, but the thoroughbred could never take the beating of the work horse.

Selective breeding is always tricky. Take the dog show crowd for example. They've been breeding dogs for show to the detriment of the breed's original purpose. They've destroyed the working ability of many breeds - standard poodle, Iris setter, cocker spaniel, standard collie, and many others.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,881
Posts18,518,198
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.