Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And Larry, if you ever get around me with that Yugo 24 in .275 Rigby, I would suggest you keep a close eye on it. whistle

Terry

GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IIRC, there is a arguable downside to the Mex action in that there is no safety shoulder on the firing pin. Do you know if I have that right?

No, the firing pin is just like a regular M98 only shorter.

On the Husky weight, did you see the picture above? 2lbs 10ozs ain't too bad. I guess that's a little heavy by today's standards though. Just don't walk so far from the truck grin

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh man, those are some fine pieces ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
TC1 - You are wealth of info. Thanks so much! I have a BRNO 21h but haven't been able to find rings. How does your 21h shoot with the original barrel? I have thought about selling the BRNO and using the money for a cheaper (than the BRNO) action and using the rest to start the stock work. Any ideas?

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The first custom rifle I ever comissioned to be built ( I have only had 2 built) is a 7x57. It was built a few years back by my classmate Clayton Nelson. It is on a 1909. It weighs exactly 7 lbs and consistently shoots 3/4" 3 shot groups. Barrel is quite a slim taper and heats up quickly and then strings vertically slightly. It has custom iron sights and custom Talley bridge bases. Very beautiful rifle. It was built specifically to shoot 175gr Nosler Partitions and does so perfectly. My favorite African plains game rifle.

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both of mine wear factory barrels and they both shoot great. The full custom is the most accurate rifle in the safe.

as far rings go the Warne QD CZ550 high's work good if the bolt handle is unaltered. If you plan on using a new bolt handle the Talley CZ550's would be my pick. If you really want something snazzy I know this guy that is building a knock off of Burgess' cam style rings, but they aren't cheap.

I wouldn't sell that 21H rifle to fund a cheaper build. IMO, that's never the way to go about building a custom rifle. That action would be the perfect donor and nothing is too good for me to cut up. HAR! I would use the action for a donor and start from there. It could be that once in a lifetime rifle. If you can't afford it wait until you can. The main purpose in building a nice custom is to get exactly what you want not what you can afford. That's what factory rifles are for. I know that sounds smug, but think about it.

Terry

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That sounds like a beauty Zim. What do you have for wood on it? Have you plunked Kudu and Zebra with it?

Have a g33 7x57 that goes 7# sans scope. It has a syn stock and a fairly hefty barrel. It is the most accurate rifle I own. Must be the clip slot flexing the action...:)

Am pondering putting a nice piece of wood on a VZ33 257 someday to make up for my syn.

You know Trout, if I had a spare Brno small ring hanging around I'd be finding a way--not selling it. Would be leaning toward the 7x64...

Defend the Constitution
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by TC1
And Larry, if you ever get around me with that Yugo 24 in .275 Rigby, I would suggest you keep a close eye on it. whistle

Terry

Terry

Thanks for your kind words. You have a couple of BRNOs that would look nice in my safe also. wink smile grin

Actually that 275 was originally built to be a pure working rifle and was kind of built on a shoestring. It actually turned out better than I thought it would and has turned out to be my most favored rifle. It isn't bad looking and is very accurate with Nosler 150 grain bullets churning along at 2850 from it's 22 inch barrel.

If I was to do it over today I would use a few different components than I did twenty years ago. First I would look for a small ring 98 of some sort. They cost over $100 more back then and I opted to spend that hundred elsewhere. That semi-inleted stock came from the old Reinhart Fajen stock company and cost me $125.00. I would definately bounce for a better stock blank if I had to do it over. The stock wears a Niedner butt plate and grip cap and I would also use something a little more classy today.

I might add that I had about $800 actual cash invested in that rifle when it was built in 1989. That included a Weaver 2.5X scope that was traded straight across for the Leupold 4X that rests there now a few years later. This rifle has provided me with many, many memories and is one I will never sell. My Grandson will get it some day. I would encourage anyone who has a desire to do something like this to "go for it". Spend what you can afford and don't look back. I guarentee you that you will see rifles after you get yours done that will catch your eye but just remember they weren't built for you. If you build your rifle like you want it to be you will have a faithful companion the rest of your life.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Look for a Husqvarna M46 sporter, already done up in 7x57.
You can surely find one in 8x57, 9x57 or 9.3x57 and rebarrel it if you just have to have a 7. If it shot well and had good sights, I'd keep any of them as they came.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
TC1 - What is the name of the guy who does the Burgess rings. You can pm me with his name. I guess my concern with the BRNO was always if it would shoot with lighter bullets. I have had that rifle since I graduated from high school (bought it with my graduation money) almost 9 years ago and have never shot it. Thanks agaim for your help!

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ZB Brno 21h 7X57 that I have shoots 140's very well. Its twist rate is just normal for the round.

I suggest that you get the 21h going. The magazines are very long on them and you can seat bullets way out there.

Now if the scope is too high for you with whats required to clear the original bolt handle then you face a lot of work. Even then the rifle is not being used.

Scope base/rings link

H
H
You have already received some great advice, so there isn't a lot to add. However, you first have to decide if you want to build on a military or commercial action. If you are willing to spend enough time and money, many military actions lend themselves to fine custom rifles. I prefer to just start with a good commercial action that doesn't require extensive (expensive) alterations. My personal preference is a Sako, but there are other good choices.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
TC1 - What is the name of the guy who does the Burgess rings. You can pm me with his name. I guess my concern with the BRNO was always if it would shoot with lighter bullets. I have had that rifle since I graduated from high school (bought it with my graduation money) almost 9 years ago and have never shot it. Thanks agaim for your help!

I'm sorry, I must have missed this yesterday.

His name is Darrel Ragar. His email is d.ragar@mchsi.com

He has these for the CZ and Talley mounts. They come in 1" and 30mm. Only one height though. They are the CAM stlye rings and go from unlocked to fully engaged with a 1/4 turn. Pretty cool stuff.

Terry
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
TC1 - would they fit with a butterknife bolt handle? I really appreciate your opinion and help!!

If you had to start a 7x57 what would be your action of choice?

Thanks Again

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
TC1 - would they fit with a butterknife bolt handle? I really appreciate your opinion and help!!

If you had to start a 7x57 what would be your action of choice?

Thanks Again

Yes a spoon handle will fit under those rings if the root on the handle is low enough. Go back and look at the picture of that BRNO with red stock I posted. Those are Warne CZ low mounts with that spoon handle. Notice the stock was inletted though.

On which action to use. A lot of that is personal choice. You said you had a BRNO 21H, what kind of shape is it in? What caliber, etc? If it was all original and in good condition I probably wouldn't cut it up. But, if it's had a recoil pad added, bolt handle or safety altered or just worn out out I would consider it a doner and it would be my 1st choice. Nothing a matter with them in stock form but they make some wonderful custom rifles. For the barreled action I would send it a gunsmith with instructions to duplicate the barrel contour to the "T" and I would re-use all the factory hardware (sights, barrel swivel stud, etc.) Then I would have a ........awh hell, just look at the pictures mine. For a stock I would probably just use the factory stock as a pattern and have it duplicated. I like the stock so much I used one for a pattern on a Husky 1640! Here is a picture of it. It's almost finished and yes, that's a 21H pattern stock. A nicer piece of wood can make all the difference in the world.
[Linked Image]

If it was mine to do all over again and I wanted a custom rifle, that's how I would do it.

Terry

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Terry,
Thanks again, the BRNO 21h 7x57 is prestine. It has a great piece of wood and hasn't been shot much. The metal is perfect. That is the reason I thought about selling it because its just to nice to cutup.

With that said what would be your choice of smallring commercial (if any) or a smallring military?
Considering that a smallring would be the best bet for a 7x57.

The warne rings on the red stocked 21h look great but do they make them in mediums so I'm sure to have enough room? And do I need different bases?

Thanks
Daron

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A little Mexican M98 would also be a nice choice. A little Husky 1640 would be an inexpensive but nice option. I would also suggest looking around at a few places that sell used custom rifles and see what's avalible. You'll get a lot better deal on a used custom.

Those Warne rings are made for the BRNO's and won't fit the Mex. Not to worry, lots of choices when it comes to mounts.

HERE IS THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE.
Do a lot of research a decide what you like. What I like really isn't important when it comes to your custom rifle. Don't get me wrong I'm more than happy to help, but it'll be your rifle when it's finished. It needs to put a smile on your face, not mine.

Terry

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks again Terry. I'm planning on spending some time looking at other rifles but being new to this alot of times I have no clue what action I'm looking at if the name is covered or ground off. There aren't alot of custom guys in my part of the world and am just trying to gain info.

I'm not taking your words as gospel... but close

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
trouthunterdi,

Does the current stock on the Brno 21h fit you? Will it fit you cheek weld wise with the high mounts required for the original bolt handle? Does that rifle still have its original bolt handle?

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
It does have the original bolt handle and I'm not sure when I put a scope on it that it will fit because of the drop of the stock.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.