Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 1,842 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 1841 1842
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here in South Carolina we can buy the red trace mineral salt in blocks.Not so up north?

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oh heck yeah we can buy the red block up here.

i've seen the big ones and the brick sized ones. I have a small brick sized one out there but i think that's probably a good idea wabo. I'll pick some up soon & we'll plant them out there the next time we go out there. Hopefuly next weekend, it's supposed to be much warmer by next weekend.

Something clever here.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Deer won't hit a block as hard dunno why... crazy Loose salt mixed into the dirt with a tiller and it becomes a deermine... We have places with licks into the dirt the size of a fullsize pickup bed since we began tilling it in... Just my opinion and findings round here. wink

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
cool, i'll give it a try.

thanks!

Something clever here.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dave,

Nother wabster idea for the cabin.. Black and white pictures along with the color pics of harvested pics this year. Just looked through a few ole black and whites and madeup my mind it will be done here forsure this year.

Hey do you guys have any other mineral type type tricks?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabo
Deer won't hit a block as hard dunno why... crazy Loose salt mixed into the dirt with a tiller and it becomes a deermine... We have places with licks into the dirt the size of a fullsize pickup bed since we began tilling it in... Just my opinion and findings round here. wink

...and it will last for years!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I go to Fleet Farm and buy a variety of non medicated livestock feed supplements that are high in phosphorous, calcium, other trace minerals and lower in salt than salt blocks. I then mix in some of the commercially available deer mineral supplements and stir it all together in a plastic tub. I then dig a shallow hole at the appropriate spot, and pour in alternating layers of the mixture and dirt until the hole is full. I might also top it with a small amout of powdered salt. Before I started doing this, I used salt blocks. There is much more traffic on the granulated mixture than there ever was on the salt blocks. 75# to start and add enough each year to keep it fresh.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I bet they tear that up like crazy!!

one more lesson learned on the deer camp thread, thanks for the tips guys.

Dave

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Dave!

Big fan - read most of your story here. Actually moving over from another web board. Severing my ties there. Too bad what's happened....

Not to bring me down man, I've got a shack too - just north of Itasca State Park. Twas my thread you visited over there - titled Let Me See Your Hunting Shack.

Someday we will meet. Either on purpose or by accident. I look forward to the day.....

Craig

Wood is Good.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey Craig!! Welcome to the campfire!!

I haven't checked that forum for quite a while, it's pretty heavy in the fishing which I also enjoy, but my main focus these days has been out in the woods. Not sure what's happened on the other forum, that's too bad though.

either way, I'm sure you will like this forum, it's held my interest strongly since I first stumbled across it accidentally back in 2004.

Maybe we will meet someday, good to have you here & I really enjoyed that thread you had with all the different deer camps people shared on the other forum you mentioned. It inspired me to do the same here last year before deer season & it went over really well, lots of people posted pictures of some very cool places & shared the individual stories & admiration for those special places we all go to share in traditions of "deer camp". It has maybe slid completely off the page but if not I'll find the thread & post a link here, it was pretty cool.

Dave

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabo
Dave,

You need some red mineral trace salt mixed up with plain stock salt and add to the desired location infront of the stands soon... Ole forkytoes will grow a better rack and you'll have another attraction to the stands.

The deer like plain old salt blocks the best at my place in NE MN. We have pretty good mineral soils here. I use mineral blocks also, but the plain salt brings 'em in. Placing a salt block on a big tree stump is the easiest way to get rid of a stump.. the deer eat the stump. It takes a year or two but I got time. wink

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4_S_ter
, I've got a shack too - just north of Itasca State Park. Craig

So, do you hunt the park? I did for a couple of years. No hunting allowed except the deer rifle season back then; don't know if they still have a deer hunt there. I also saw my first timber wolf there, in about 1970. Walked by me at 15 feet. It was just one of them little MN wolves though.

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey DP,

I never have hunted in the park. Our place is on 80 we own surrounded by County - plenty of room.

I do occaisonally drive through the park and marvel at all the orange coats. Sort of like a Mexican roadside memorial.....

I'm sure it was different years ago, but now it seems like a city hunter's magnet.

Craig

Wood is Good.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow,seems like just yesterday I mentioned that this thread had gone to almost 10,000 views and now it is over 11,000.Just goes to show how interesting a subject this is.
Deer camp is where a majority of hunting memories are made.There's action aplenty out in the woods but the human interaction is what is the essence.
It would be great for the readers,those of you who are fortunate enough to have camps,either owned or leased,would post pictures,links and stories here.
In essence this thread is our common link,our virtual deer camp.All due to the efforts of Northern Dave.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4_S_ter
I'm sure it was different years ago, but now it seems like a city hunter's magnet.

Craig

Nope, it was the same. Pretty scary. But dad wanted to hunt there for a few years and I try to hunt with him a couple days each season. What can I say? I mostly hid in low, brush-filled areas, hoping to not get shot. Funny thing, that's where all the deer were too! smile I shot a good number of 'em.

I think we hunted there around 1980 through 1983, not 1970, like I mistakenly typed above. confused

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd love to share my camp with you Stan. I think I'll dig up Dave's old picture thread and kick start it rather than posting here. This is Dave's place. I think it's best that way.

Craig

Wood is Good.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I couldn't find that old thread Craig. Might have to start a new one. smile

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
4ster,

Where about north of Itasca is your camp at? Gaviidae_Esq and I misbehave down that way a bit. In fact we were just coming back on 39 between 113 and 200 and there were deer all over.

We have hunted the Zerkel area a bit and may see ya around.

bd

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Same deal where I hunt Dpole, nothing brings 'em in like a salt block. I put one on a stump in '02, the block and stump are long gone but the critters are still eating the moss and dirt on the swampy ground. The ground is a muskeg type soil, and in a 10' radius around the old stump the ground is hard as a rock from all the deer standing there.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave,

How's the new wheeler working out? Is she full of mud yet? I hope so. My big wheeling weekend is coming up in June with my stepdad in the Iron River, WI area. We usually put on 100-120mi a day and it's a blast up there.

Those pics of you guys wheeling got me thinknig...and waiting.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
Page 36 of 1,842 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.