Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Boyd45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have a 6.5x55 and a 7x57, as well as a .308 and an 8x57 for my 'big rifles', but have gotten the itch for something else. Not that I think I need to have something else. Someting with heavier bullet weights but not too much recoil. I do not reload (probably should) so bullet options in factory loads would be important. Does anyone have experience with either or both calibers, and care to chime in?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Boyd45

Yes, I have a Savage 99 in 358 I've used it on and off for a number of years elk hunting. I've never had a longer shot with it, using it mostly in timber hunting but have it sighted in at 200 yds. Oddly enough, it shoot's 2" groups with 225 Partitions... forget the powder load. One time a cow elk come down a draw and I was in a depression and shot her at a 20 degree angle and about 30 yds centered in the chest. It actually caused her to somersault and swap ends and didn't twitch. A friend of mine has a Remington XP100 bolt pistol in 358 and has had similar experience w/elk. I've always been a 358 fan and am considering getting the new Ruger Hawkeye in 358. Never had a 9.3 in any cartridge so can't say anything 'bout them. Not sure about what's available for factory loads as I do all my own reloading. Seem to recall seeing a 200 grain factory load but others can comment?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, your .308 is getting dominated in the safe by the metrics - only seems right to get it some help. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Boyd,

IMO, you are seriously handicapping yourself by not being a handloader. Especially given these two considerations. At the present time, I own 3 rifles chambered in .358 Win and two in 9.3x57.

Factory fodder is not exactly common in either chambering. Winchester being the only manufacturer of the .358. And Norma being the only maker of the 9.3x57. (Altho' Sellier & Belloit may make the 9.3, but I've never seen it...)

Personally I would not even CONSIDER either one unless I intended to handload. I believe if you want a chambering of that power category, you'd be better served by the .35 Whelen.

Even tho' it's fun to be the only one around with an exotic chambering, It's pretty much useless without access to ammo... smile YMMV.

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

B
Boyd45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I could reload if I get the urge, as I think that the .308 and 8x57 brass I have could be used with expanders. Don't know why I save the brass in the first place, just do. I think the Whelen or the 9.3x62 would be viable alternatives with factory fodder. But I have a shoulder that's not in great shape and thought that the .358 or the 9.3x57 might be slightly easier to endure. The only two factory loadings from Norma for the 9.3x57 are a 286 and a 230 grain load, while there are at least three factory loads for the .358 (and the Ruger Hawkeye is tempting, esp. given the price of the Savage 99s. Can anyone commnent as to the recoil level of the factory loads in either caliber?

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Boyd,

I have made a lot of .358 brass out of .308 brass. However, it works better if you use virgin (unfired) brass. The beauty of the .358 is the fact that cheap pistol bullets are available and can be used for cheap reduced recoil practice loads.

IF you are the least bit recoil sensitive, I would not EVEN consider a Sav 99 in .358. I had one in .308 and it was the worst recoiling deer rifle I have ever owned. frown

Given similar rifles, the recoil difference between the 9.3x57 and the .358 Win is negligible with similar weight bullets. ON the 9.3, you Will notice the difference in recoil between the 232 gr. and the 286 gr. One of my .358's is a Browning BLR, and I am very fond of it. Excellent accuracy and it handles very well. Recoil is noticable, but not objectionalble to me. But then, I'm not particular recoil sensitive, unless the stock geometry is all wrong. A good Pachmayr Decelerator is advisable with about any medium bore rifle of decent power.

I purchased both of my 9.3x57 rifles after I came across a real deal on six boxes of factory ammo (Norma 286 gr.) I have yet to shoot it all up. blush

I can argue logic until I'm blue in the face, and still you are more likely to make your choice on emotion... smile After all, it's whatever turns YOUR crank. Hope this helps....

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

B
Boyd45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
GH: My .308 IS a Savage 99 & you are right about the recoil. Thanks for the information on the recoil levels. I did not know how the two compared. I defintely plan to have a good recoil pad installed, regardless of which way I go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I were looking for a medium bore with an available variety of factory ammo, I would buy a .338 Federal. I have one, as well as a 9.3x57, a 9x57, a .356 Win and a .35 Whelen. I have had a .358, but sold it. The 9.3x57 is a great round, in my opinion, but you have to handload, and components are a touch pricey. I load 232 gr Norma and 250 gr Woodleigh bullets to 2300 fps, and they shoot well.

I'm with the others, handloading is the only way to go, particularly if you have an interest in the more obscure cartridges grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A great medium bore rifle cartridge is the .375H&H MAG ! A 37 cal bullet from 232 grain to 350 grain!

Bob

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a 9.3x57, it is a husky made on the m94 action. If you end up with one of these rifle be ready, they are very light and handy, but they kick like a mule on steriods. I have some 286 grain bullets loaded in mine not sure the make, but with the rifle like it came from the factory. the little plastic thing they have attached to the end of the rifle doen't provide much coushion... Mine will hold three into 2 or so inches at 100 yards this is with the not so good sights and my crapy right eye.. M8x57

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, my choice would be the .358 Win. or the .35 Whelen. In fact, I have five rifles in the .358 and three in the .35W. so you know where I stand.
In either case, no pun intended, both rounds while OK in factory form are better when handloaded.
Recoil from my 99 Savage is rather stout in comparison to my other rifles chambered to the round. I have put a pachmeyr decelerator pad on the gun but haven't shot it since the installation. I know it will not be as bad though as when it had that very hard piece of plastic. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Savage 99s in .358 aren't the easiest gun to find and the normal going prices will definitely make you think twice. Think four figures.
Probably the easyest ones to find will be the Browning BLR or the current Ruger.
Mine are trhe Savage 99 already mentioned, two tang safety Ruger 77s from the first limited run, the first version of the Browning BLR and a Kodiak Mauser. All are good shooters except the Mauser and I'm working on that one.
The Kodiak mausers were made from milsurp Mauser actions sometime after the Gun Control Act of 1968. The took the actions and rebarreled them to various cartridges. I've only seen three, a .243 Win that I got in a trade that was very accurate, a .308 Norma magnum that belonged to the editor of a small town newspaper. It too was very accurate although I wished they'd put a recoil pad on the thing. A plastic butt plate on a magnum is downright ridiculous. The third, of course, is my .358. One of these days I'm going to do a serious glass bedding job on it and replace the military style trigger. That should cure the problem.
FWIW, the .358 properly handloaded is not just a brush gun. Anyone that thinks that is the case, I invite them to put up a target at 250 yards and find out. I only use 250 gr. bullets in my .358s amd .35 Whelens BTW.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by muledeer
If I were looking for a medium bore with an available variety of factory ammo, I would buy a .338 Federal. I have one, as well as a 9.3x57, a 9x57, a .356 Win and a .35 Whelen. I have had a .358, but sold it. The 9.3x57 is a great round, in my opinion, but you have to handload, and components are a touch pricey. I load 232 gr Norma and 250 gr Woodleigh bullets to 2300 fps, and they shoot well.

I'm with the others, handloading is the only way to go, particularly if you have an interest in the more obscure cartridges grin.

Dennis

Dennis, once you buy the brass, about how much more is it to load for the 9.3 x 57 than a more standard caliber? I am guessing the bullets might be more??

B
Boyd45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
M8x57: My 8x57 is a Husky on a 96 action. The anemic 170 gr. loads were OK, but the 196 gr. S & B load was something else! A good recoil pad made a world of difference and with some stock removal it is a light and responsive rifle. Thanks for the information, & all the best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmypgeorgia
Dennis, once you buy the brass, about how much more is it to load for the 9.3 x 57 than a more standard caliber? I am guessing the bullets might be more??

It's mostly a matter of bullet cost -- there aren't any cheap 9.3 bullets, though the 270 Speer and 286 Hornady might be considered almost reasonable. I do wish Hornady had brought out a bullet more in the 250-275 gr range than 286 gr, but that's just me.

If someone made a good, cup and core bullet of about 265 gr weight that cost less than 30 cents apiece, it would help.

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Boyd45
I have a 6.5x55 and a 7x57, as well as a .308 and an 8x57 for my 'big rifles', but have gotten the itch for something else. Not that I think I need to have something else. Someting with heavier bullet weights but not too much recoil. I do not reload (probably should) so bullet options in factory loads would be important. Does anyone have experience with either or both calibers, and care to chime in?

358W will have less recoil than the 9.3x62. Let your decision to get into one of these two cartridges spur you into reloading. Either of these two rounds will have you bucking against the wind. 358 brass can be had aplenty from MidwayUSA, but it will sell out since Winchester only makes a limited run of brass and ammunition for the 358 once a year. You will find no shortage of help in learning to reload. If you do decide to reload, get a couple of good manuals for cross-referencing, and I would suggest Lyman's 48th be one of those. While you can reform 308 brass, I would suggest you buy properly stamped 358 brass since it is available. Lots of bullet choices if you reload, only one bullet if you don't (for the 358, that is, unless you run across an older box of 250's)

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I just picked up a 358, that should solve any 9.3 desires.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't comment on 9.3mm, but .358 is hell on deer, and PJGunner is 100% correct: it ain't no brush (only) caliber.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I just picked up a 358, that should solve any 9.3 desires.

Species?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ruger Hawkeye (wood/matte blue version). I'm very impressed with what they have done with them (akin to your 375 scaled down). Don't think I even need to mess with the trigger.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ruger Hawkeye... Don't think I even need to mess with the trigger.

Wow. That's cool. Any idea what the pull weight is as delivered, Steelhead?

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

741 members (160user, 16gage, 16Racing, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,199
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.