Hop To
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Quick update on the new PMAGS..........

Just returned from almost a week of Pdog huntin'. Took many different brands of mags as usual, but this time I had 3 of the new 30rd. PMags w/windows as well. They worked flawlessly and I used them more than any of my other mags for 1,400 rounds. Without reservation, I can say that they will now be the only AR15 30 round mag that I will be ordering and I very rarely can make a statement like this about any firearm/shooting product. I've just placed an order for many more, but as expected, they are on backorder....and with good reason. They are worth the wait.

As a side note........I wasn't impressed with a CPRODUCTS INC. 30 rd. alum./orange follower magazine. The only malfunction during the entire trip was experienced with this mag which had 2 of the rivets topside on the spine pop loose during firing which caused expected issues. I have a couple more in my stash and will be discontinuing their use altogether.

These new polymer PMAGS seem to be the best of both worlds.....strong, durable and "pop loose" free.

Oh yeah, the babies were out. Soooooo many, clueless little, furry targets. Hitting one of these at 350 yards is quite a challenge, but the way they all like to gather together at the top of the mound for their accustomed "King of the Mountain" ritual makes that exercise somewhat easier and oftentimes you get a 3 or 4fer....or should I say 3 or 4 "FUR"........

Not sure how some would determine round counts as to reliability with a new product such as the PMags, but with 1k to 1,200 out of these mags, no issues and I tried. I laid down slow, medium and heavy fire strings.....everyone of them, excepting the slow fire, quite unintentionally. One knows that when an AR is workin' the fields, the sound of hurried follow-up shots are generally a result of a miss and an attempt at a re-do......grin. If nothing else, I'm honest. I've been known to go through an entire 20 round mag on a single Pdog, albeit, him being more than a few paces further than the norm. Givin' in to one's pride can get expensive and surely makes for hot barrels.

Some may well set their marks at 10,000 rounds......give me time. That was only my first trip this year.

So far, they get a thumbs-up from me.

YMMV.........

Last edited by magnumb; 05/13/08.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread is useless without some pics! grin Well I'm glad to hear someones got time to pull the trigger, how was the hunt this time around?

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hey TH.......a very spontaneous trip on my part. Started thinking about the possibility of a trip out west in the mornin' and by 3:30 that afternoon, I was packed and on my way.

In so doing however, I forgot my little fold-up, adjustable back, cushioned, legless shooting seat. Seems inconsequential until a few hours into a hunt, then one wonders by we were produced with bones in our butts. Aside from that never to be forgotten again oversight, all went very well.

I hunted PDogs 4 of the 5 days there, the day I didn't was because it rained steadily all day, so I went lookin' for 'yotes via asphalt or very well graveled roads....however, to no avail. If you choose to hit those backroads after a rain in central/eastern MT., you will become very familiar with why they call the mixture of their dirt and rain....."GUMBO"! It is slippery as snot and since these lands are dry most of the year, the ground absorbs any water as deeply as possible, resulting in the slipperiest, sinkingiest, most unmanageable goo ever experienced by man and machine. It is nasty stuff and to venture into this combination without aid of a tow truck and a backhoe is quite simply asking for trouble. The good part.....it takes only a few dry hours to return these pathways to hard pack.......MT. is an adventure all in itself.

As to huntin'/shootin'.......it was a very worthwhile trip. 1,400 rounds out the tube and a lot of flyin' fur to be seen. The babies had just come out and multiple targets were the norm. Most fields had an abundance of targets available, but some 20-30 miles in either direction had signs of the plague takin' hold on these populations. Not good, at least for varmint hunters. The ranchers are obviously happy about this onset and for good reason, but I fear an abrupt end to such fun in the very near future, at least in this particular area and then for the next 3-5 years. Such is life.......it just means scouring different areas not so effected. It's always about doin' the work. I don't plan on lettin' 100 pounds of powder and all the related components go to waste waiting for their return......grin.

No pics....didn't think to take any video or stills as I was alone and more focused on "the take" rather than sharin' the experience. Perhaps my bad, but I was in a shootin' mood in a bad way. A bit of withdrawal from so many months without.......I know.....bitch, moan and whine.

Gotta clean up some more gear, so I'm in gun room prison for a few days. Well, not totally true. I'll be fishin' tomorrow for lingers and droppin' a few shrimp pots with a friend tomorrow........330 feet straight down. Spotted shrimp to 10 inches, but averaging about 7-7 1/2. 80 apiece each day. Yummy.

Take care TH and sorry for the lack of visual confirmation. For all you know, I never left my couch and don't own a rifle nor hunt varmints at all!! Tell that to the underside of my truck as I try to pry what Gumbo did adhere itself to my undercarriage and now shares the same qualities as cement......grin.

Later................

Last edited by magnumb; 05/14/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (160user, 257Bob, 300jimmy, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 55 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,372
Posts18,527,420
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.