Print Thread
Hop To
D
dj1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
i'm finally getting the ball rolling on this one.
at first i was going to use one of my standard modell banner receivers but they ended up fitting better with two of my other projects & i decided to use a dwm gew98 receiver for this build.
the barrel is a 24" tapered octagon in 6.5x55 from wind river. i think on the next one i'll order it with a 1/2" long shank instead of the 3/4" like i did on this one.
the stock is an oberndorf classic from gag's bargain section, it has some very nice striping that didn't show up in the pictures. its kinda dirty from using a sootlamp to inlet it with because i keep forgetting to order some inletting black.
i have a very nice cz bolt & a talley style handle ready to weld on. i had a sculptured triggerguard with a hinged lever released floorplate just about finished for this rifle but i decided to go with a shotgun style triggerguard so i'm starting over with a new bottom metal & i'll use the stuff i originally built on another project. i haven't decided what i'm going to do with the sights yet but i'll probably build a octagon banded front sight, 3 leaf express rear & maybe a spring loaded folding tang peep.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wowzer!

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool. I can see myself in the woods on a cold winters day looking for game with that in my hands.

Looks like a fun project.

Terry

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
what is the action on the table?

D
dj1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
djpeppper, the action on the table is a parker-hale m84 mauser target rifle receiver

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by dj1
i think on the next one i'll order it with a 1/2" long shank instead of the 3/4" like i did on this one.

Not the best angle, but this shank is about 1/4"
[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I am seeing loads of potential in that project. Take your time and don't cut corners (like I always seem to be doing.)

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If I were you I would cut that panel a bit forward, your bolt is going to come down right on the edge..Just my opine, in case you overlooked that..I do think they look a little better if the bolt cut is behind the panel as opposed to in the panel, I have done them both ways, and its just my opinnion..That is going to be a really nice rifle when your finished.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Good thinking and I agree.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a nice rifle!

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
dj-

That's a handsome looking project, good luck with it. You are already on the right track.

Where did you get the pattern for that stock? Duh, I need to read more closely.

Last edited by 30_Caliber_Mag_Fan; 05/13/08.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark
D
dj1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
newguy the shank on that one looks just about right.
i'm going to move the back of the side panels forward about 3/4", right now they would have about 1/8" sticking out past the bolt handle. i got the bolt handle tacked in the position i want, i just have to send it out to be welded because my welder isn't working worth a crap & i keep buying project rifles instead of a new welder.
i'm going to start working on the bottom metal this week. since the 6.5x55 gives me a little extra room in the front of the magwell i'm going to try to do a hidden hinge.
the stock is also a little thicker in the action area than i like so i'll probabl;y thin it down a little

D
D
Fabulous!!! I have a very similar project going on. I just listed it over at Rimfirecentral. I have an all original metal work 1938 .22 mauser single shot with a completely ruined stock. My intention is to use an octagon barrel and then make the skeletonized butt plate, grip cap, cartridge trap, then have them all case colored to match the receiver. Have you thought about Claw mounts??? Would look amazing, but a LOT of work.
very nice I would be extremely interested in final pictures
thanks
Doc

D
dj1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by DrMichael
Have you thought about Claw mounts???

i have a set of clawmounts & rings from clawmounts.com waiting on the right project to come along. this rifle will be a open sight rifle. i have a couple of czech & belgian receivers with scrubbed crests that would be better suited for that. i try to keep any of the receivers with nice marking on the front ring for open sight projects.
your little guild style 22 should be neat. i've been looking for a beater mas 45 for a similar project

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by new_guy
[Linked Image]

Didn't you get the memo? DETAILS!

What is this? It's gorgeous.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I'll post them in a new thread.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,327
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.