Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2205932 05/16/08
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any particular gun oil you guys like to use on the slide and other moving parts on your hand guns

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Break free or RemOil.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The lubrication requirements of firearms are not all that great, unless you�re a soldier on the battlefield. Basically, if you lubricate your gun, that�s enough; so don�t feel like you have to buy any expensive �gun specific� lubricants. The lubrication requirements of an automobile far exceed the needs of a gun, so that�s why one of the best lubricating oils for your guns is Mobile 1 synthetic oil. A few bucks for a whole quart, and the only challenge is finding a very convenient bottle to put it in for application.

If you really have to buy something off the shelf at the gun shop, just grab any product that tickles your fancy; they all work.

Now if I was a soldier going to war, I would want Break free CLP.

Since I�m a civilian, I just use Mobile 1 which is pennies on the dollar in comparison to any �gun� lubricant. And with the exception of CLP, Mobile 1 is often better than the vast majority of the gun products.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Break Free

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking of lube in a military operation, i've used everything from powdered graphite in a cold area due to freezing, to spray silicone in a sandy dusty area, that was wiped down leaving little or no residue.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Generic synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid from Wal Mart -- A couple of bucks for 16 oz.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
G-96 or RemOil 1 drop on each slide rail and 1-2 on the action.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
eezox

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tbear99
eezox

I use that on the outsides, dang near waterproofs a steel gun!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks fellas. I appreciate the help. I went to the Sig Sauer web page and they have a good step by step break down on disassembly, cleaning and lubrication. Might be a little extreme, but if you want a safe well kept gun it was helpful. There was a bottle of Hoppes sitting there as a solvent but they didn't mention a lubricant brand. Thanks for all of your imput.

CR

IC B3

J
J
I've used RIG grease for years. All you need to do is wipe the gun with a cloth with a very small amount worked into it. RIG is temporarily out of production but I've heard good things about Eezox, too.

Any time I've tried an oil, any oil, I've gotten rust. I'd guess that either the solvents evaporate or the lower viscosity allows it to bead up and expose small spots of bare metal that then rust.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Whatever you use, keep it light (viscous) or synthetic. My father-in-law carried a BAR during WWII at the Bulge, and related his lube experience. Out of gun oil one winter day, he was forced to use motor oil. On cold night, trying to fire on some advancing Wermacht helmets, the BAR went "clunk;" he charged the handle again, and another "clunk." Cold had stiffened the lube and immobilized the weapon.

Fortunately for me and my children, the "helmets" were hares, and a nineteen-year-old GI learned a lesson the easy way.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
Originally Posted by tbear99
eezox

I use that on the outsides, dang near waterproofs a steel gun!

+1

After treatment the steel looks and smells like untreated, but it is indeed lubricated quite well. Very good rust protection too!

I ride a bike a lot, and Eezox lubricates the chain for about twice as long as Break-Free (judging from when the squeaks or rust starts coming back!)

Eezox is the best I've found in 25 or 30 years of trying every darn snake oil that is advertised -- I'm a sucker for every new sales pitch, but Eezox is my current champ!

John

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The lubrication requirements of firearms are not all that great, unless you�re a soldier on the battlefield. Basically, if you lubricate your gun, that�s enough; so don�t feel like you have to buy any expensive �gun specific� lubricants. The lubrication requirements of an automobile far exceed the needs of a gun, so that�s why one of the best lubricating oils for your guns is Mobile 1 synthetic oil. A few bucks for a whole quart, and the only challenge is finding a very convenient bottle to put it in for application.

If you really have to buy something off the shelf at the gun shop, just grab any product that tickles your fancy; they all work.

Now if I was a soldier going to war, I would want Break free CLP.

Since I�m a civilian, I just use Mobile 1 which is pennies on the dollar in comparison to any �gun� lubricant. And with the exception of CLP, Mobile 1 is often better than the vast majority of the gun products.

... and if we all buy Mobil, we�ll have NO CLP when we need it ...

CLP is the single product, that best covers most uses.

Of course, there is a single product which is better in any specific regard!

CLP belongs, just like a LA .357, in every household!

Rem Oil is good, but very thin. runs off ...

RIG 2 is good, especially as a spray, thin as Rem Oil, but leaves a "film". Cleans well with shotguns.

RIG 7 or LSA for a good compromise between oil and grease for lubing slides and moving surfaces. Hoppe�s gun oil doesn�t protect against corrosion, I don�t like it. Benchrest oil should be better, but LSA and RIG 7 are sooo much better ...

RIG is for rust protection. I hope it never dies! What do you mean with "out of production"??? Panic!

Hoppe�s # 9 and it�s slightly improved brother, Butch�s Bore Shine are the "bore�s best friend".

Many people stock up ammo, mags, guns.

I would feel >very< uncomfortable without a ( little ) cache of RIG, CLP, Hoppe�s # 9, LSA, some modern grease ( Moly or Teflon based ) and patches ...

and a little FP 10 which lubes to a degree ( and why??? ) I simply don�t understand!

H

edited because of a mixup between RIG 2 and 7 ( both excellent! ) Fixed it now.

Last edited by aHunter; 05/19/08. Reason: as written in post
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Royal Purple Gun Oil
PG2000
EPX Cycle Grease
FP-10
Gunslick

depends on which gun and where it's being used.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gunslick is white lithium grease and graphite, it will turn to absolute CONCRETE with age.

Old cat turd!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
CLP sucks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
CLP sucks.

Grit, like a magnet!

Old cat turd!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
BTW - what is a LA .357?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used only Eezox since 1992. I don't think it can be beat.
It won't freeze at 80 below, boil off at 140, and wash off with water. Properly applied it both lubricates and protects.
eddie

[email] <a href="mailto:[email protected][/email]">[email protected][/Email]</a>

much obliged eddie
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,763 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,426
Posts18,528,423
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.