Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 37 of 1,842 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 1841 1842
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stan - see my post - Shooterville.

Big Drift - Our place is about smack in the middle between Lake Itasca and Zerkel. One mile off of 200.

Oh oh. You ever been to Karaoke night at Lobo's?

Craig

Wood is Good.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
4ster,

If I am thinking right you should be just east of Long Lake area?

And no to karoake we only ate there once as I recall, but I have stopped in to partake of their beverages on the way back from Gav's island on occasion. Their burgers were pretty good as I recall.

Have seen some big deer in that neck of the woods, last week they were pretty thin. Good numbers but I suspect the late snows really put a hurting to them.

If your in the area I suspect you are there is one big ol' nasty black bear roaming the area, easy 450 +, I have seen when working over that way a couple of times.

We need to meet up some time and try to drag Dave down also for a 24 HCF meet and greet.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
twist my arm...... grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About 10 years ago I had a bruin taking bites out of the treated steps on platform stands. Bugger was out on opening weekend in the snow, believe it or not. I showed up to my favorite and noticed the third step was screwed up. In the dark I figured a tree limb hit it or something. When It got light, I saw tracks coming to the stand and leaving the stand that weren't mine????? Upon examination determined it was a late wandering bear that bit the step that night. So being the curious type, I followed. It went right to the next closest stand of the same design and took a bite out of a step there, then on to the next and a bite there too! Being smarter than the average bear it left the area after that. Good thing I didn't see it. Talk about "about to do damage".

Meet and greet eh? I'm thinking about heading that way next weekend with Kiddo to catch trout in Long Lake and put up a few no trespassing signs. Want a rainbow trout on the grill at Shooterville? Probably best served next to a fine white....beer.

Craig

Wood is Good.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are some bears in the area.

Thursday before opener had Big Drift, Sherpa Kurt, Doecamper, Chef "Firerator", Nels and lil sister on the island to put in docks in between the ice floes and generally open up the cabin.

Twas a big hairy turd on the back step. Thank God it didn't have bells in it or smell like pepper spray so can confirm Griz haven't invaded the area.

Schedule permitting I think BD and I could swing by for a trout. We'd even bring the beer and our office PBT known as "County Fair" to ensure compliance with that which must be complied with.

Rumor has it DNR is opening the Bagley Refuge to deer this year. May have to do some lawn & garden work and eliminate some of that herd of pests ...

GE

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just talked to the Doc, and it looks like we'll be there next weekend. Never know when you might need a little medical care.....I'll confirm later in the week.

What's a PBT?

Craig

Wood is Good.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4_S_ter

What's a PBT?

Craig

Good question! A Harvard Law educated Assistant United States Attorney asked me the same thing after I beat her in a DWI/Manslaughter trial a couple years ago ...

PBT = Preliminary Breath Test. Roadside sobriety testing units that aren't usable as evidence of intoxication, but give ya fair warning that you may have had a couple too many.

Ours is known as "County Fair" as it is the centerpiece of the beat the guesser game played at our christmas party, etc ...

GE

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
grin grin you dudes crack me up. usually daily. grin

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gav, methinks maybe this weekend we may need to go do some meet and greet.

That is if anyone is sober enough to get off the island. Hmm, 3 days no kids, holiday weekend, my liver is already hurting.

We'll take some pics of Gav's family cabin this weekend to post up.

Dave you gonna be able to swing down this way?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking Doecamper is the PERFECT designated driver!

If I can get a motor working ...

GE

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmmmmmmmmm...

A Lawyer with a Breath-a-lyzer.

Alrighty then, I'll have a waiver for ya to sign. grin

Craig

Wood is Good.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
4ster,

No worries about Gav, he plays nice usually whistle. And if
not doecamper will be there to regulate... eek

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heck Craig ... a waiver ... those don't matter ... unless you're talking a big black flag when laying in dekes for honks.

We like them wavers!

Point of order ... you have a hunnerd yards or so for us to use this as an excuse to do some range work?

GE

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunnerd yards? Shooterville is a deep woods camp. We measure in feet. I could get you about 90...... feet.

We have some spinny .22 targets and paper for other stuff. But honestly, 35 yards is all you're going to get.

I'll send you an email with directions. Hopefully myself and the Doc can get over there Friday night, get the bats out of the stove, and down rig 10 trout by about 5:30 PM Saturday. If you show anytime after that we'll be ready for a breath test. I'm assuming you'll be returning to your island Saturday night? Otherwise I might have to bring a cot......

Hey Dave - any chance we twisted you into it? I'd certainly like to meet the man behind the legend.

Craig

Wood is Good.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey guys!

I've been out of action for a while.

sick as a dog. bad sinus flu turned into bronchitis, Head is so full of fluid that my ears are plugged, really messing with my balance, abaility to walk like I'm not 98 years old... stuff like that. lungs very ineffective, it's no damn good.

Finally went to the doc yesterday, he gave me antibiotics & some inhaler deal, told me to stay in be for 4 days.

Took a chance today, trying to work. so far not going so well.

If we're talking about this upcoming weekend, I'm actually supposed to play host to a bit of fun & games out at our slanty shanty. If my health comes around I might actually be able to do that. But right now, oh my god, I don't know what made me think I could work today... arrggg...

Last edited by northern_dave; 05/21/08.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
well, I was very stubborn about wanting to get out in the woods & look for mushrooms last night, as sickly as I was, vision, balance, directional perception.. everything impaired by this sinus thing.. But I stuck close to the house & took weezy with me & we managed to find these.

[Linked Image]

not a bad haul for the short time we were out. I hope to look for more tonight.

spring is definately late this year.

Dave

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very nice deer camp, I must say. Dreamed of having one on our land, but haven't got started yet. A person needs a place to get away to.

NEVER GIVE UP
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dave,do you sautee those?

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
workin on it Stan, my fav way is to sautee in butter with onion & a dash of soy sauce. cook up a whole pile like that & put them over the top of a good steak.

I'm feeling better now but I've been sickly for about 2 weeks. Now that I'm feeling better i'm up to the task of cleaning & cooking these morels & I'll be well enough to actually enjoy them grin

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mmmm mmmm those morels look tasty dave! I have never personally tried them but heard they are awesome. I was going out to look for some myself awhile back but an internet site showing the closeness in looks to the dangerous "false morels" kinda scared me off a bit. It said basically to NEVER eat what you think is a morel if your not absoulutely positive that it is a morel. And since I haven't hunted or eaten them before I thought it was best left alone. One guy (on the site)picked some and brought to his family. They ate them and his 9 year old nephew went blind and almost bit the ruhbarb from a false morel. Sure look like good steak toppers though!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 37 of 1,842 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 21, 1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 54 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,431
Posts18,489,256
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.