Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Most of my handgun experience has been with revolvers. For autos my experience is limited to mostly Glocks, the 17 and 23. Most of my carry experience has been open carry when in the woods hiking, scouting, picking mushrooms etc. My current woods gun is a 629 Mountain Gun in 44mag. I occasionally carry it in a backpack on heavily used trails.

I am looking for a handgun for concealed carry in most urban settings with all types of dress, including cargo shorts and a t-shirt. I am interested in the Walther PPS, Smith 340 or Smith 442. What are you guys doing for every day concealed carry? The PPS is turning out to be very elusive and I have yet to find one in any of the local gun shops. I like the idea of the PPS but would like to at least hold one before buying. How about recoil in the 340? Twelve ounces seems pretty light? I can�t seem to warm up to the Kahrs and Kel-Tecs or anything with less power than 38special+P but I could be convinced otherwise.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well you cant go wrong with a glock! It comes down to your preference and a good holster to conceal the firearm as well as dressing around the weapon.
I prefer galco holsters, but know there are several great holster companies out there. For firearms glocks work as well or better than any of the reputable manufacturers and the finish is tough so I don't worry about rust or rubbing off the bluing plus their simplicity, reliability, and capacity. It comes down to what you want? I like the 40 S&W but a 9mm will be slightly smaller and a little less weight in the same model firearm. Esox357

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I have carried, as a daily CCW:

S&W New Departure .32S&W
S&W 642
Rock Island 1911
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kel-Tec P3AT
Kel-Tec P11
Kel-Tec P32
Kel-Tec PF9
Glock 20
Glock 29
SIG P6/P225

The SIG is what I currently carry.

What I've found is that the axiom about "it's supposed to be comforting, not comfortable" is mostly true. By far, the P32/P3AT was the most "comfortable" to carry, but lacked a bit in the "comforting" category. For me, that didn't start until I had at least .38+P capability. Again, for me, the 1911s just didn't carry right, nor did (for obvious reasons) the G20. I carried the G29 as a daily for a good while, until a good friend convinced me to make a trade I couldn't pass up. It was then I found the SIG. True, it's only a 9x19, but it's just absolutely stupid accurate and is comforting whilst nearly being comfortable. I can like the feel.

Ditto the need for a good holster. I've had many..... likely too many, including some of the best out there (Milt Sparks VMII), and for daily carry, I've found a couple by Galco to be very, very good: the USA and NSA series specifically.

As for the recoil of the 340, with .357s, it's punishing. As with the 642, with .38+Ps, it's snappy, but manageable.

For what you're looking for, if the 442/642 fits your hand well, it's NEVER a bad choice. A set of CT grips, a good IWB, and load it with Speer GoldDot ShortBarrel JHPs and you're set.

That said, if you want a semi-auto, Glock is tough to beat.

One caveat: I never could warm up to carrying a Glock with one in the pipe. I know that they can be, and are by a lot of other folks; I just couldn't get comfortable enough doing so. YMMV..... Which is something I don't really worry about with the P6/P225. FWIW, you can find the SIG P6/P225 West German police turn ins, in very good condition, now for less than $350 out the door. Helluva deal.....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My normal carry guns are a S&W Model 60 (with 38+Ps) that I appendix carry with a Clip-draw, and a S&W 6946 (mid-size 9mm DAO) in a simple Bianchi Accu-mold holster. On occasion, I might also carry a S&W 6906, S&W 4516, S&W 586 3", or S&W 19 3" (Clip-draw also, the rest in various leather or nylon).

A J-frame is pretty hard to beat for stuff it in your pants and go about your business. The all steel model 60 doesn't strike me as burdensome and I'm a small person. Full bore 357s aren't fun but are manageable. +Ps are not too bad at all. I have no interest in the lighter versions. I like the Clip-draw for ease of carry. I will not wear an IWB holster due to the bulk but I love the feel of just the gun in there.

As far as holsters, I think you have to try various things and find something comfortable for you.

I would say, and this may be heresy, but my preference would be good belt, crappy holster over crappy belt, great holster. Learned this the hard way.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
One other thing about holsters:

I've found "tuckables" to be a joke. Not gonna happen, if you're a slim build guy. Untucked shirt or jacket over the IWB, otherwise you're going to have to go pocket or ankle carry.

Figure that accordingly (i.e. reason for a second, or third, CCW weapon depending upon wardrobe).

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IVE always felt that there were TWO opposing routes of thought on sellecting a concealed carry pistol

theres the guys that want something easy to conceal and light and small so they can (HAVE A GUN IN AN EMERGENCY) under the premiss that youll probably never need it and if you do any guns better than being UN-armed
for that crowd something like a stainless PPKS in 380 loaded with hydroshocks makes a decent sellection, but IVE seen guys carry a high standard two shot 22 magnum and think they are well armed

then theres those that feel that if your going to have a tool for winning a confrontation where your lifes potentially going to be the cost of loosing only a true combat capable weapon is a decent choice, the gun will be both larger in size and in a heavier caliber and have better sights, yes concealment becomes slightly more difficult, takes more thought, but should the need to use the weapon ever arise they feel thier far better armed, and much more likely to prevail. a colt govt 45 acp, glock 10mm or 3-4" 357-41 mag revolver or something similar fills the bill here.

theres a few guys that try to compromise with the compact 9mm and 40 cal autos and smaller 2" 38 plus P revolvers, but thats a COMPROMISE and while it has advantages it also has flaws

personally Im in the second group and carry a GLOCK 20 10MM, now. I used to carry a govt 45acp or a EAA WHITNESS 45 acp

but what ever you choice think it thru, if your forced too defend yourself and family , are you comfortable with your choice?
will you BET YOUR LIFE that that choice can stop some drug crazed wack job with a knife or a couple home invasion type robbers as you exit your car in a parking lot, or your driveway some evening?

remember, chances are low youll ever need to use that gun, BUT theres no (DO OVERS) in real life and if you fail you or your family may be killed

Last edited by 340mag; 05/21/08.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I ascribe to all three camps.

I have one, always; even if it is only a .380 (better than nothing), and if that's all I CAN carry under the circumstances, then that is what I do carry.

If I CAN carry a large caliber handgun, such as a G20 or 1911, then I do.

Most times, however, are somewhere in the middle, as I can carry more than a .380 (the P3AT excels at just being there no matter what.....), but cannot realistically carry the G20/1911; which is where a J-frame or right now the P6/P225 comes in.

As to whether any would be effective in the situation should they be required, that result is out of my hands..... though I'd do my level best to make sure that it was effective; but if it's my time, or someone elses, is not my call.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It all depends on what activities I am going to do or what I feel like wearing for the day as to what I carry at any particular time. My main Conceal Carry Weapons are a Springfield XD40 Sub Compact, a S&W Model 36 J Frame in 38 Spl or an East German Makarov 9x18.

The latter two are more concealable than the XD but it's not a problem as I carry it in an Tennessee Holster IWB Holster.

I have an Uncle Mike's IWB for the Smith with one of Simply Rugged Holster's OWB Pancake Holsters on order it and I just ordered one of Tennessee Holster's IWB Holsters for the Makarov.

I also have on order one of Simply Rugged Holster's Combo OWB/IWB Pancake Holsters for my Taurus 44 Mag although I don't consider it to be a conceal carry weapon as it's about the same size as your S&W Mountian Gun.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Full size Kimber Custom Classic, Milt Sparks Summer Special holster. While I have carried a j frame and a PPK, I firmly belive that handguns should be comforting, not comfortable (to steal from Clint Smith).

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Different Guns for different occasions. It is summer now so the KelTec P3AT goes well with my cargo shorts. Just put away my Sig 220 Compact. And I when I am in the mood usually in the winter when a coat is necassary(which isn't often in Dallas) I will carry my Sig 1911.

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry a S&W 31 in 32 Mag. This little revolver began as a 32 S&W Long and someone befor my time rechambered the cylinders. When I can get one I will have a Ruger SP101 in the new 327 Federal.

The 32 HRMag is the equivilent to a 38 Special I believe. The new 327 Federal should be a nice cal.
eddie

[email] <a href="mailto:[email protected][/email]">[email protected][/Email]</a>

much obliged eddie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jigman222
...I can�t seem to warm up to the Kahrs and Kel-Tecs...

Unless you can find that PPS and are willing to pay the price, that limits you considerably.

I have carried concealed...
Beretta 21
AMT .380DAO
Star Firestar (9mm)
Kahr K9
S&W 60as
S&W 19
Ruger SP101
Ruger Security Six
Browning Hi-Power (9mm)
Rock Island 1911 (5" 45acp)
Kel-tec PF9
edit: forgot about the old Taurus 431 (.44spl)/edit

My philosophy on this boils down to having something big and something little. When mode of dress and activity permits, I carry something big, such as the 1911. When it does not (when in shorts and t-shirt as you mentioned) I carry something little, such as the PF9.

Currently, my "little" gun never drops below 9mm or .38spl in caliber. I have a friend who still carries a .380 on occasion, but he is much better at "contact sports" than I ever was - so he can probably get away with it.

I have found that the PF9 will conceal under almost any situation (short of swimming), as would a Kahr MK9. The Walther PPS would be close, but it is a bit larger. I have fired the MK9 enough to know that it shoots well and is easy to handle, once one is familiar with it. I have fired the PF9 extensively and find it to be easier to get good hits with than one would expect - especially with the 124gr Golden Saber load I now use.

I have had some trigger time with the S&W 340, and found it to be a bit uncomfortable to shoot but not unmanageable, with .38 +p. Probably about on par with the PF9, if memory serves.

If I were in your situation (already owning the S&W .44 MG), I would first get a good belt and holster for the Mountain Gun (Sparks, Alessi, Kramer, etc), load it with .44spl for urban use - and then decide which "pocket pistol" suits me. If you have the bucks, the 340 is a good place to start. If not, the PF9 is a lot of gun for it's size and it's price. Side benefit of both is great customer service from either company.

Last edited by FreeMe; 05/22/08.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II.
I practice with it on a weekly basis, and am confident that the big .45 ACP will get the job done if ever needed.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have carried a Colt Combat Commander, KelTec 9, Walther PPS, 9mm Derringer, Glock 19, Glock 27, and just bought a Taurus ultra light today. I will use the Speer Gold Dot for Short Barrels in it.

What I carry is determined by the seasons, location, and potential threat level.

Retired U.S. Army
LM-NRA,GOA,& MOAA.

Someone said, "Don't mess with old men, especially those who are veterans!!!
They'll not fight you, they'll kill you"!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The issue of concealed carry many times becomes a topic about gizmos and gadgets. I think we sometimes forget the purpose of the concealed weapon. It is not just something that is along for the ride. And when selecting and weapon to carry concealed, the mission is not to get the smallest gun possible so it can "hide" somewhere on the body without having to alter our sense of fashion.

The purpose of the concealed weapon is to, God help us, protect our lives and the lives of our loved ones if the need arise.

I have large hands. I have a hard enough time manipulating small weapons without being under stress. I can not imagine trying to fish a small auto or revolver out of my front pocket, while being attacked by an aggressor. If a weapon is not "shootable" by the carrier (be it too small or too large) it is of little or no use. It becomes a dangerous noise maker. I think first and foremost, we must find a handgun that we can shoot well. Not just well enough, but really shoot. We need to handle the weapon enough to become intimate with it's feel and operation. We have all heard the line about something being "an extension of a persons hand"....well, where else should this be more necessary than in the selection of a weapon to defend your family.

Once the selection of a handgun has been made, I think we then need to make the serious commitment to altering our wardrobe, briefcase, handbags, etc to accommodate carrying that weapon. I have taken to wearing a great many un tucked "cabana" style shirts. Do I like wearing my shirts un tucked all the time? Not really ( ok, maybe a little). But that is what it takes to cover the weapons I feel comfortable shooting.

"But I can't wear un tucked shirts in my line of work." These situations come up, and if the ONLY option at that point is to carry a small weapon in a pocket holster, so be it. However, I would exercise all possible options before giving up on my main carry piece. I live in one of the most miserable places in America when it comes to heat in the summer. It gets hot! I don't care what I am wearing, I am going to sweat like a hog if I am outside. If I suddenly had to wear my shirts tucked in, but was still working where I am and could carry daily, I would find a less than tactical looking light weight vest to wear as a cover garment. I have seen them out there. They don't sport the many pockets of a photographers vest or fly fishing vest, but to me, that makes them a better choice as a cover garment. Am I going to be hot, yes, but not much more so than I was before I put on the vest. It is a sacrifice I am willing to make to feel properly armed.

Fanny packs, personal organizers, handbags for ladies, courier bags for whomever; these are all items that have become commonplace in out day to day lives. Talk about ways to carry concealed in plain sight!

My main point here is this: There are a lot of good options out there that address the issues of how to concealed carry YOUR weapon of choice. Remember, carrying a concealed weapon is a serious commitment. Do not compromise your safety and the safety of those you protect simply for the sake of fashion.

I'm no gun guru, YMMV!

Wayne

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ps. I carry a G21 in an NM#1 just about everywhere I go.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2crow
...My main point here is this: There are a lot of good options out there that address the issues of how to concealed carry YOUR weapon of choice. Remember, carrying a concealed weapon is a serious commitment. Do not compromise your safety and the safety of those you protect simply for the sake of fashion.

I'm no guru either - but I wouldn't go so far as to sacrifice reasonable comfort in an activity I am required to perform or I one that I enjoy, in order to prepare for a threat that is highly unlikely to exist. Fashion is one thing - but being uncomfortable or inconvenient to the point that you might be thinking about leaving the gun at home is another. Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun".

You can adjust your wardrobe to some degree to accommodate concealed carry, but if you take it too far, you may no longer be concealed. The conditions are different for every situation and carrier. You must be your own judge. In some settings, a utility vest may be less "gunny" than a vest that seemingly has no purpose other than to hide something in hot weather. Shirts untucked where everyone else is tucked may draw unwanted attention. It's all a matter of knowing your surroundings and your situation. Sometimes, we don't have any way of knowing what will apply best as the day progresses. That can have us using the "deep" gun even though we start the day with a light jacket.

There are no hard and fast rules. Just informed judgments.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've gone through lot's of carry guns and leather, but I always seem to come back to this one:

[Linked Image]

It's a Colt Pony Pocketlite .380 carried in an Alessi pocket holster with 1 spare mag carried in the opposite pocket, loaded with Federal Hydrashocks. It ain't big, it ain't sexy, and it ain't tactical, but it works 100%, I can hit with it out to 25 yards or so, and it's convenient enough to always go with me. I'd like to say I carry one of my 1911s all the time, but it ain't the case. The Pony is just so much more convenient.

I'm currently courting the Pony's latest successor, a S&W 642 and we'll see how it works out. It might become the new go-to gun, then again, it may be back to the Pony after a brief fling.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This may not be what you want to hear.

I have a 4-5/8" barreled super blackhawk .44 that conceals nicely under a 3/4 length down coat in winter. I have a S&W 60 3" J frame with adjustable sights in .357 I carry much of the rest of the time. At one point years back I carried a NAA .22 magnum single action. I've shot a lot of other guns, tried this and that, revolver, semi-auto .. doesn't matter, haven't been satisfied with the outcome.

My conclusion is there is no such thing as an effective, concealable weapon for an active person on 100 degree days. You choose between not being active, not being effectively armed, or not being concealed. I think you have to stop and think things through. Two questions are important. (1) What are the chances I'm going to need my gun if I go do a particular activity. (2) Just how bad do I need to do that activity ... is it worth the risk?

If you're lucky, it'll prove to be one where you can carry openly so you can carry something adequate.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by jigman222
I am looking for a handgun for concealed carry in most urban settings with all types of dress, including cargo shorts and a t-shirt.

jigman:

I'm reading this to mean you want to buy one handgun, at least for the present. I'm also reading this to mean that cargo shorts and a t-shirt are your limiting factors for concealability.

Don't know if you're a slender man or robust, but seems to me that you ought to stay with something no bigger, or not much, than a J-frame .38.

Get something bigger, and I suspect you'll often be leaving it at home or in the car in the summer months. But YMMV.

Good luck. And remember, you can buy more than one roscoe!

- Tom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,387
Posts18,527,678
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.