Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I like to look back sometimes and see what the 45-70 has done with the right shot and the right ammunition.Kinda makes me warm and fuzzy once in a while. :raz:Everyone remembers how anti-cast I used to be,right?

I am a changed man! Shot placement is #1 and Premium cast rules.(grin)
[Linked Image]
"Mr. Garrett, I am a Master Guide in Alaska and a Licensed Professional Hunter in Africa. I have made a full time living as guide since 1975 and have over the years tested the bullets from every major bullet maker and from most of the custom bullet makers. I chose to use your 45-70 ammo because it is by far the best. I do not believe that any better load exists to go into thick brush after a wounded Grizzly.
When my 8 year old son (Jason) decided that he wanted to hunt Grizzly with me on the Alaska Peninsula I was pleased as he had decided this on his own with no prompting from me. (I do not believe in pushing kids into doing what the parents do) This became a goal that the two of us shared together as a father and son team. Over 9 months we prepared for his hunt. Lots of target practice for him with a 22. We spent last winter cross country skiing and practicing shooting from a variety of real life field conditions.
I had unlimited choices of rifles and calibers that my son could use. I have custom rifles in medium and big bore up to 470 Nitro. We also have friends with custom rifles made for kids that wanted to loan some very fine rifles to Jason. We decided on Jason using a factory rifle, the Marlin Guide Rifle in 45-70. The only modifications that were made was installation of peep sights, 2" cut off the stock and a decelerator pad installed. Dry fire practice and getting into kneeling and prone positions was the first thing Jason worked on with the 45-70. After he was proficient at that I let him fire a few factory 405 gr. loads from a kneeling position. I needed to see if he could handled the recoil. Jason did okay but it was too much for him to practice with. After that I only let him used the rifle with a 45 ACP adapter made by MCA Sports. This adapter let him shoot 45 pistol ammo and practice a lot so he did not develop a flinch. We never used a bullseye target for his practice. We used a paper archery target of a life sized grizzly standing broad side. No aiming point to see so he had to learn to target on the shoulder himself.
The end result is that 9 year old Jason shot a beautiful 8' 7" Grizzly with your 45-70 ammo. From 45 yards the 540 gr. bullet struck the bear broadside in the left shoulder. Breaking the shoulder, going through the rib cage on both sides and breaking the right shoulder, then exiting the bear. This was a devastating blow to a tough animal. The bear made one jump when hit then collapsed dead 18 feet from where he was standing.
Thank you for making the excellent ammo that helped make my son's hunt a success. "
Jerry Jacques

How can one up that from a licensed Master Guide in Alaska and a Professional hunter in Africa?I left out African pictures of game taken with the 45-70 to stay out of a hornets nest.

And this lucky young lady.
[Linked Image]
George Mandes' brown bear taken with Garrett 420-gr Hammerhead Ammo.

And my personal favorite where knowing your rifle and bullet shine and this was shot with a muzzle velocity of 1650 fps at 275 yards.
[Linked Image]
Tony Makris, Host of ESPN's Under Wild Skies - 275-yds w/45-70 GOVT

The modern 45-70 isn't something to laugh at and I am and always have been,a bolt guy,for the most part.It is nice to see what it is capable of in the right hands..Did I say "In the right hands"?Maybe that is where the bad rep comes from from some????

Jayco eek

Last edited by logcutter; 05/26/08.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't know why the pictures are not showing up but they do in the preview of the post.Let me know if there are not any pictures..3 in all..

Jayco

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
great post

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don,t have many pictures from my hunts , but I can assure you that a 45/70 with a 420 hard cast bullet or a 405 remington jascketed bullet does a very adequate job at totally screwing up an ELKS day if the guy using that rifle and load shoots well. theres been several ELK taken with that cast bullet load and a couple with the remington bullets also from 45/70 marlin rifles from guys in our camp in the last 20 years or so!
most loads push those bullets to between 1700 and 1850fps and IMR 4064,IMR 3031,H4198, and RL7 were the comon powders used, all can do a decent job

http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_detail.cfm?MetallicID=4195

Last edited by 340mag; 05/26/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (1badf350, 470Evans, 16penny, 44mc, 405winash, 35, 17 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,651
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.