Print Thread
Hop To
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Had my B-Day a few days ago and got a great surprise from my wife, son and daughter. I received 23 boxes of 50gr. V-Max's (250 ct.) for my B-Day!!

I'm flush with primers, powder and brass (just picked up an additional 2,000 new WW brass the other day) and had some 15,000 V-Max's already, but now all my .223 varmint components combined are pretty much gonna work out as far as #'s of cartridges I can make and come out even.

I love gettin' reloadin' stuff, especially components. All these components aren't gettin' any cheaper and I'm surely not shootin' less these days. With the 12,000 that I have already loaded, these components should last me several years now. A bit of pay me now or pay me later goin' on here, but I am pretty well convinced that next year at this time each and every component will cost substantially more than it does today. These V-Max's were $23 a box (250 ct.) only 1 1/2 years ago (Dec. '06).....close to $40 now.

I can't imagine (since I never look at factory stuff) what a 20 rd. box or a case of BH's 50gr. V-Max's goes for these days.......it must be tough to afford this ammo for many shooters not into handloading. Heck, it's almost gettin' that way for handloaders.

I think the only ones really benefiting from these enormous price increases are the PDogs and gophers!!

Napalm and C4 might be cheaper, but not near as fun.............

Last edited by magnumb; 05/31/08.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy birthday indeed! Lots of nice goodies there. How many years for ya?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks safariman!

I was 57 on the 29th. That's pretty close to 60 as I was reminded of by my lovely daughter....grin.

A great gift indeed. Much better than new duds that I wear very seldom or other "niceties" which are most often lost on me.

No gift receipts necessary for reloading gear and components for this guy......they ain't goin' back and I'll be long gone before any of my current components go bad............that's depressing. Oh well...........

Take care and thanks again for the nice sentiment............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm trying to do the same, but on a somewhat smaller scale. Happy birthday and get lighting those puppies up!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Happy B-day! Enjoy your reloading. I don't reload so I feel the pinch even more because I have to buy factory loads. Ouch!!!

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well Happy Birthday Magnum....

Sounds like you are as deluxed out as I wish I was....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
No matter what level of a "hoarder" one might be, it's still never enough.......grin.

Thanks fellas for your thoughts.............

Last edited by magnumb; 06/01/08.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Magnumb: Yes I whole heartedly agree - who knows how much bullets, ammo, fuel, primers or brass will cost next year???
What a great gift for you on your birthday!
Many happy returns of YOUR day!
I am doing some reloading myself today for the upcoming Prairie Dog season!
And another thing I agree with you on is the only ones happy about high fuel prices (besides OPEC and the liberals!) are the Prairie Dogs!
I have observed already this year, a noticeable diminishment of travelling Varminters in my neck of the woods.
Shame that.
Happy Birthday to you again (belatedly).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks VarmintGuy!!

Yep.....it's all going up and I expect it to stay that way for awhile. Heck, I don't even know why it won't keep going up except optimism. I'm no economist, so my hoarding may backfire on me, but I could care less. Primers concern me as puttin' the brakes on them would end the whole party....and who knows what lies ahead. 40,000 205's will last along time, but not forever. The way I look at it, I can reuse brass, use lots of different powders if necessary (90+ #'s of H335 is a start), find varmint bullets of some type IF I ever run out, but primers, if they're taken off the menu and not there to acquire......not good. A bird in the hand..........

I've only made one trip east so far, but didn't run into any other varmint hunters (or snakes either....grin). Then again, it was the first week in May. I just couldn't wait any longer...chompin' at the bit and all. But there's been other years at that time and I've seen plenty of other guys. The food and lodging are the cheap parts of the trips nowadays. Driving a full sized truck on a 14 hour non-stopper (one way), burns a ton of gas. Varmint huntin' sure didn't get any cheaper........

Take care VarmintGuy and thanks again. Have fun out there this year, as I'm sure you will.

Last edited by magnumb; 06/02/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 222ND, 62 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,381
Posts18,527,562
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.