Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Steve

No one is pround of the abortion numbers in this country but trying to enact rules forbidding abortion without a exception clause for the health or life of the mother is peeing in the wind.

I was raised in Texas and during the 50's when a girl got in a family way her Dad simply took her on a Mexican vacation; a fair number never came back home. My sister and I were two years apart and in our two classes of about 100 each we could name 20 girls that had abortions and alsmost half of them died or were injured for life.

Today when you can fly anywhere on the globe for less than a thousand dollars you'll never curb abortion with laws. Sad but true. Somewhere like 75% think that Roe vs. Wade should not be overturned.

Piper

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Penguin, the government didn't send anything overseas. Private businesses made choices based on, uh, profit. You got a problem with that?

If a thing can only be made in the US at a profit with a government subsidy, why should the American public subsidize it by paying higher prices to subsidize an unprofitable industry just because it has acquired friends in government who get a tariff passed?

The so called capitalist companies that are making a killing by importing their goods into our country are STATE SPONSORED ENTITIES! How in the world can we justify putting Americans out of work by engaging in duty free trade WITH COMMUNIST OWNED AND OPERATED businesses?

We are helping to arm and outfit a country that is ideologically opposed to the very foundation of our country. How in the world is that justified in the name of knocking a few bucks off the price of a plasma TV or a pair of Reeboks?

If they want to move over to communist countries and throw in with the enemy then be my guest. But don't let them send the jobs and economic profit into the bank accounts of communist dictatorships and Islamic Republics and then give them duty free entry into the marketplace.

That is one world globalization theory in action, not sound economics.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
But we can't buy Cuban cigars :-)

Piper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The irony is astounding isn't it? :p

Will

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by isaac

Bush's Legacy....I'd Vote For Him A 3rd Time, If I Could!!

You never were very quick......

That said, the alternatives have been hellishly bad.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
gosh, Penguin, I knew Mexico and Canada were kind of leftie, but I had no idea they were Commies. Thanks for the heads up. wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Is that from the Weekly Standard?

God, I hope so.

Doc

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Penguin
Unlike some people I won't brand GW Bush as the worst president in American history. Truth is I haven't been alive to see most of them so I can't say for certain.

I will say this: He is the most naive and irresponsible president in my lifetime. I will also add that he is just below Jimmy Carter on my list. Not because of any great achievements of Mr. Carter, but rather because we threw Carter out after one term and limited the collateral damage he was able to inflict.

No such luck with Bush. The choices presented to the American people were so terrible that we really had no choice but to stick with him.

Will

The only President in the 20th Century worse than Jimmy Carter was Herbert Hoover who shall always be known as the Depression President.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mexico is not really a trading partner, they are a low cost intermediate step subcontractor. They are poor and desperate enough to take the crumbs left over from China, India, and a few others.

But China OTOH is a horse of a different color. She is just now starting to flex her muscles. And we allowed this beast to grow strong and prosperous at the expense of our middle class. And you know what the worst part of it is? We didn't even get the human rights concessions that all these geniuses in Washington told us were sure to come along with a capitalist infusion of cash. Give it time they kept telling us, they'll have decent wages and living conditions in no time.

I'm not sure we can hold out long enough to see any substantive results on that front.

Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Burma, Morroco, and on and on and on. We just cannot find enemies to enrich fast enough to please the Free Trade contingent.

Will

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
You never were very quick......
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Karen might tell you different....smartass! Adrienne too!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Mexico is not really a trading partner"

Well, only if the United States second largest trading partner isn't "really" a trading partner. Kind of a strange use of the language.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Penguin, the government didn't send anything overseas. Private businesses made choices based on, uh, profit. You got a problem with that?

If a thing can only be made in the US at a profit with a government subsidy, why should the American public subsidize it by paying higher prices to subsidize an unprofitable industry just because it has acquired friends in government who get a tariff passed?

Good thing Lawyers who write most state law have made sure this hasn't happened to them..My Lawyer is up to $425 now bet I could get a good Indian for $75.00.

Last edited by gahuntertom; 06/02/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bush's Legacy???

A recession. A deficit. A weak dollar. No to Kyoto. No to green initiatives and alternative fuels. Yes to Big Oil. Yes to SUVs. Proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. Foreign quagmires premised on bad intelligence(at best!)or outright lies. Many children left behind (ask a typical kid to read, write, or do math!). The continuation of the abortion known as the War on Drugs. Overflowing jails and prisons. Outsourcing high paying (i.e. vital) tech jobs abroad 'cause their aren't enough smart Americans to fill the need. Shameless war profiteering (Halliburton, etc.) Usurption and erosion of fundamental American principles (e.g. Patriot Act). Didn't think this was possible but King George managed to somehow erode even more of our precious little American goodwill and influence abroad. Thousands of dead and maimed American service people and their families. Lots of vacations to his ranch in Crawford, TX.

These are just some of things that come to mind when contemplating Dubya's watch.

oh yeah - one more thing - that one banner Bush had placed behind him after spending tax payer money to land on aircraft carrier... MISSION ACCOMPLISHED...

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Qtip
I'd vote for Bush a third time without any hesitation whatsoever. The best the liberals have offered in recent history don't hold a candle to him because of the one thing they all lack.....CHARACTER. He had the worst event in American history since Pearl Harbor dumped into his lap and has done everything he could humanly do to protect this land of ours. I believe his wife has ALWAYS been proud to be an American. And I believe his faith is honest and true and based on truth, not twisted theology. I get tired real fast of all the Bush hate going on in our country and place the blame squarely on the shoulders of the whining Dems that still can't get over the fact that he was elected twice. Instead of blaming their own misguided ideals they blame and hate Bush for everything wrong that happens. What a vile and sickening bunch they have shown themselves to be. Until the Dems wake up and chit-can the radical left from their party they will sooner or later suffer beyond repair. God bless George Bush, and his family!

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

+1 Here Qtip.

The Democrats have making that slippery slide ever since LBJ and it's got worse with every candidate in the last 40 years and with this years class of candidates being no improvement over those from the past.

In fact their Leader of the Pack and the Runner up are both poster child's of what you get straight out of the Gutter as their both Gutter Rats.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
so your solution, Penguin, is to slap tariffs on imports from the countries you don't like, so that American consumers pay higher prices for the same product, the government gets its rake-off, and the rest of the tariff goes to support certain favored failing US industries so they can try to make Mardi Gras beads, tennis shoes and shirts competitively with east Asia? Is that the plan?

I don't think that's gonna sell in middle America, outside a few union halls.

I think the old fashioned way of making products or selling services people will buy at a price that makes a profit is a more American solution. The government is not supposed to be in the business of picking private businesses to save from their own inefficiencies. And that applies to sugar farmers and mortgage lenders as much as it does to shirt makers.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Man...all these new members only to jump on the legacy of GWB!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

If the end result of such globalist action means that the American working class has to compete with a Chinese working class which labors for peanuts in a communist nation where the government exercises price and wage controls,... hell yes,.. the working class of America has some serious problems with it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ivan, you doofus, the Kyoto treaty was turned down 95-0 by the US Senate while Bill Clinton was president and W was in Austin being governor. Get a freaking clue, dude.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
(i havent read all pages of this thread.....dont have the time to play catch up on them all so if this has been brought up, sorry)

i cant like Bush's No Child Left Behind BS.....sure it may have helped getting some of the crappy schools in line but it has hurt some of the better schools. i know the local school has done more good through putting in place programs of its own cause the administration truly cares about the education of the students to help those lagging in the english and math areas....these would have been implemented regardless of the NCLBA as i know the administrators who implimented well them as they were teachers when i went to school there....however i have seen this school forced to dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into administrative BS instead of putting it towards programs that help the kids because of the NCLBA when they already were dealing with a shrinking budget authority do to declining enrollment......would much rather see that money go to more and better teachers....more added programs than screwing with the required paperwork to see weither or not they meet the NCLBA benchmarks.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
so small government Bristoe now wants the US government to decide which businesses will be subsidized by tariffs extorted from American consumers, raising the prices they pay for the things they need to enrich the chosen few........that doesn't sound very Paulian.

Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,666
Posts18,513,054
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.