Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 20 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 19 20
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
"Mexico is not really a trading partner"

Well, only if the United States second largest trading partner isn't "really" a trading partner. Kind of a strange use of the language.

Strange but true.

Mexico is not really a trading partner because they really can't afford to buy anything from us. We send parts to Mexico where it is put through final assembly and sent back. The whole country operates as sort of a low tech off shore factory for US companies. They operate as a non union subcontractor.

Hence my contention that NAFTA was not a trade agreement, it was an outsourcing agreement. As are most trade pacts these days. They aren't made with the intention of opening new markets for US manufactured products but rather new markets of lower wage workers for US companies to hire from.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
I agree Qtip. Most Americans have become negative whining sheep who can't see the big picture. It's a sad state of affairs when parents don't teach little kids to have respect for the president. And then they wonder why their kids don't respect and obey them...

I respectfully disagree...why would a parent teach their child to respect a president who is a liar, a thief, a moron, a puppet, and a mass murderer? Americans see the big picture just fine...and I believe that you will find that out come November.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by isaac
You never were very quick......
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Karen might tell you different....smartass! Adrienne too!!

That I can go, at any speed as required by the situation, is a given.

That Karen would lie, 'cause she's a good woman, is another given.

That we both married up, is simple fact.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
antlers, thanks, you can go now. wink

I'd suggest www.moveon.org

....lots of folks there who "think" like you.

There are points of view contrary to what the 'herd' follows. If this group is so intolerant that they must stifle discussion and exile anyone who doesn't go along with the 'herd', then this is not a true 'discussion' forum.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
so small government Bristoe now wants the US government to decide which businesses will be subsidized by tariffs extorted from American consumers, raising the prices they pay for the things they need to enrich the chosen few........that doesn't sound very Paulian.

China doesn't espouse a small government philosophy. They shouldn't be included in any Libertarian ideas of commerce.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Steve

I wonder what a lawyer in China or Mexico makes.

Would it be legal to hire one for simple things here in the States since we are "trading partners" ?

Piper

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
You sure can BS at warp speeds!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
so your solution, Penguin, is to slap tariffs on imports from the countries you don't like...

I think the old fashioned way of making products or selling services people will buy at a price that makes a profit is a more American solution. The government is not supposed to be in the business of picking private businesses to save from their own inefficiencies. And that applies to sugar farmers and mortgage lenders as much as it does to shirt makers.

Yeah, and it ain't supposed to be in the business of pushing a global agenda of free trade either.

Free trade with countries who play by the same rules we do? Fine. I can almost count them on one hand. And I have no problem with doing so.

But you better believe I would slap a big tariff on goods imported from China. They are a communist dictatorship. We, as a liberal democracy, aren't supposed to be in the business of enriching communist dictatorships and arming them to confront our children.

It is funny how other countries who have sponsored businesses which dumped products on American soil seem to get a pass from you guys.

Japan targeted our steel and electronics manufacturing and put it broke. They subsidized these industries long enough to bring down their American counterparts and now enjoy almost unchallenged supremacy. You see the Japanese weren't interested in 'fair play' or 'free trade', they wanted to win.

Which they did.

The steel industry was worth saving. I don't think we have enough left to actually fight a real war if we were forced into one. I'm not sure in a real live shooting war that the Chinese will be willing to send us all of these electronic parts to outfit our fighter planes.

We have a short sighted and stupid trade policy. Just like our energy policy. And our budget policy. And our foreign policy.

I don't think it is a coincidence that all of these short sighted and stupid policies have come together in one administration.

Will

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, many big firms and some clients directly are outsourcing legal work to India ....its a world economy in services as well as manufacturing.

http://www.americanjurist.net/media...&sourcedomain=www.americanjurist.net

It only works with someplace which has a similar legal system, like the commonwealth countries.

Outside Hong Kong, the Chinese seem to have trouble even grasping the concept of what a lawyer does.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
so you'll empower the US government to tax its citizens by raising prices on the goods they buy to punish foreign countries for the way they choose to run their own governments......is this the humble foreign policy/ small, non-intrusive government model?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

the Chinese seem to have trouble even grasping the concept of what a lawyer does.

There's little demand for lawyers in a totalitarian government.

You might think about that whenever you get the urge to defend the additional accumulation of power within the executive branch of the U.S. government.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So the state should control the economy to the extent that anything that might impact our war-fighting ability should not be manufactured or purchased except where the government says it can?

You might be able to make some national security case for that notion.....but,tennis shoes? shirts? Mardi Gras beads? tough sell, bro.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Qtip
You are obviously full of chit. If this were a war for oil then why is gas so high? How do you protect a nation, enforce the treaty that Hussein agreed to(even though most other countries don't have the balls), and deal with national natural diaster without spending money egghead. What will the Dems. give us/ International disgrace by withdrawal from Iraq leading to a Taliban-like slaughter of hundred of thousands of innocents, a UHC system that will just about kill our economy, and a move toward "green" energy which although sounds great won't do chit in the long run for the USA when compared to other sources. They have great soudbiytes and slogans, but they are all based on the hot air theory. Your "one" post so far leads me to believe that we just might have another troll amongst us, and I hope I am wrong.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

It's not rocket science...oil didn't start to climb until AFTER the invasion and occupation of Iraq, a soverign nation. Bush hasn't protected the nation...we're no safer now, and we've been invaded by millions and millions of illegal immigrants yearly since his first term began. So much for protecting our borders. He also didn't 'deal' with a natural disaster...he failed miserably. Saddam was 'bad'...lots of dictators the world over are 'bad'...are we to invade all of them too, and overthrow their dictators, and install our own puppet government, as we have in Iraq, while killing thousands of our own young people, and spending hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars, as we have so far in Iraq? Or, are we only going to overthrow 'bad' dictators whose countries just happen to have oil underneath them? Blind faith in bad leadership is not patriotism. If you felt secure in what 'you' know to be true, then you wouldn't resort to the school-yard mentality of calling other members here derogatory names.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you're babbling, man

must be shell-shock from all those terrorist attacks you've suffered through since 9-11

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you don't have a large and energetic steel industry you aren't a global power. It is just that simple.

We allowed ourselves to be talked into the notion that we are all one big happy family. It doesn't matter where stuff is made. It doesn't matter where the jobs are performed. Americans can sit back and manage these industries, trade our houses to each other for higher and higher prices, and we'll all retire as millionaires.

An absurd notion that was just dumb enough to appeal to GW Bush. And Alan Greenspan I might add.

It does matter who manufactures goods. You see, real wealth is created by those who save and produce not by those who borrow and consume. This ideal was the backbone of the American system of economics for decades. And it worked. And it created a middle class of those who produced the goods that powered America.

Right up until supply side silliness took over as the in vogue theory.

Will

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
damn,... the knotheads are gonna stampede because of *that* post.

OK...so...opinions are like a$$holes...everybody has one. Maybe they should first realize that this is a public forum on the internet. When discussing issues, every member here is entitled and has a right to their opinion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Penguin
If you don't have a large and energetic steel industry you aren't a global power. It is just that simple.

We allowed ourselves to be talked into the notion that we are all one big happy family. It doesn't matter where stuff is made. It doesn't matter where the jobs are performed. Americans can sit back and manage these industries, trade our houses to each other for higher and higher prices, and we'll all retire as millionaires.

An absurd notion that was just dumb enough to appeal to GW Bush. And Alan Greenspan I might add.

It does matter who manufactures goods. You see, real wealth is created by those who save and produce not by those who borrow and consume. This ideal was the backbone of the American system of economics for decades. And it worked. And it created a middle class of those who produced the goods that powered America.

Right up until supply side silliness took over as the in vogue theory.

Will

The American steel industry was created by robber barons and monopolists in the 19th century, and flourished inthe 20th because we were the arsenal of democracy in two world wars, and finished the second as the only steel producer in the free world not bombed to smithereens.

you sound like it was built by widows saving their pennies.

and Bush didn't pass NAFTA, or invent free trade as a basic tenet of Republican foreign policy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bristoe, they can't even grasp the concept of a lawsuit. My wife and I tried mightily to explain the idea of tort liability, and going to court to enforce a contract, with our guide/translator....an educated, fairly sophisticated woman who deals with foreigners every day and is married to a music producer. She just couldn't get it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antlers

OK...so...opinions are like a$$holes...

some more than others

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by Piper1
Steve

I wonder what a lawyer in China or Mexico makes.

Would it be legal to hire one for simple things here in the States since we are "trading partners" ?

Piper

Piper:

I predict, in your lifetime, if not mine, that Indian lawyers will be allowed to become members of various US state bars and then practice by satellite hookup from home.

You and the guy you're suing will be in front of the judge in the courtroom, and the two opposing lawyers will be appearing on video monitors from Delhi. (And maybe even the judge will appear by video.)

It'll start with civil law. Small stuff at first. Family law. Then torts. Eventually, criminal law.

It'll be sold to the public as a cost-saving measure - part of tort reform - the Supremes will eventually come around and rule that it doesn't violate the constitution.

You'll still have the right to hire an American lawyer if you want one and can afford one, of course.

Just like you will have the right to go to India, hire a bunch of Indian lawyers to do the work, and sit back and rake in the profits.

It's the American way.

- Tom

Page 8 of 20 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,687
Posts18,513,529
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.