Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by nemesis
Mr Antlers,

Earlier when addressing another forum member you said:

"Maybe you just have a problem with rational discourse...I know...it's much easier to talk politics with people who 'agree' with you........".

Since I have been trying to follow your reasoning here and would like to engage in, (as you put it) "rational discourse" with you.

Will you please provide specific examples of when the President acted in the manner that you allege in the following statement?

"why would a parent teach their child to respect a president who is a liar, a thief, a moron, a puppet, and a mass murderer"?

My reading comprehension must be off today because I'm fairly certain he posted that and THEN cried about name calling. Sometimes I just don't understand people.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wuzzagrunt
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Penguin
Unlike some people I won't brand GW Bush as the worst president in American history. Truth is I haven't been alive to see most of them so I can't say for certain.

Well, at least we can say he's the worst in a couple generations....... grin

Did James Earl Carter get written out of the history books, as if in some Stalinesque purge? If you go look up "naive" in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of our 39th President.

I am fairly certain Mr. Antler was not alive when Carter was president.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Steve- As Bristoe pointed out, inventing a better mouse trap will not produce more jobs in the U.S., the mouse traps will be built by the lowest bidder, which won't be here. So we are still faced with the prospect of a larger portion of the population being unemployed in the future. They won't even be able to get jobs as ditch diggers, as we do excavation with heavy machinerey now (most of which is manufactured in Japan, S. Korea & Mexico). The social unrest from such unemployment would be a significant threat to our national security (remember, America was a lot closer to going Red or Facist during the Great Depression than most people realize, Hughie Long from your State being a prime example). At some point national interest will have to placed before corporate interest or we will not survive as a nation.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antlers
How about 'you' state your opinions...and I'll state mine, and let's go on from there...without personal attacks and insults directed at members here?

This has all been discussed ad infinitum, ad nauseum. You're opinions are predictable to the point that your participation in any debate is ultimately unnecessary. We could just fill in your part from a selection of George Soros' blatherings. My opinions are on record with 1800+ posts here. Use the search function if you are interested. I'll tell you right up front, it's probably not worth the effort, but knock yourself out if you have the time to kill.

Beyond that, I comment on the things that interest me and not what you or anybody else decides I should discuss.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Ya ain't got ta be bringin' Brother Huey into this.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S8elIlcrNf0

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When national interest comes ahead of corporate interest, (a nice slogan I'm surprised Obama and the other redistributionists haven't picked up on yet)....what you're really saying is the state is going to take private property for the benefit of the masses, because when you start telling people what they can do with their own property....

That's been tried and we saw how it turned out.

The US will adapt, and the capitalist system will survive, and we will still be the richest most powerful country on earth.....unless the statists succeed in taking over the private sector in the interest of fairness and avoiding strife. When has government ever been more competent to make economic decisions than people who have their own money in the game?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
The US will adapt, and the capitalist system will survive, and we will still be the richest most powerful country on earth.....unless the statists succeed in taking over the private sector in the interest of fairness and avoiding strife. When has government ever been more competent to make economic decisions than people who have their own money in the game?

Exactly. People speak of the economy of this country as if it's a static thing. It's always been an evolving machine that will continue to evolve. Those with desire to succeed will find a way to live life on their terms and those that have given up and thrown in the towel will fail. Always been that way, always will be that way.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
unless the statists succeed in taking over the private sector

They better hurry up or they're gonna have to go to China to do it,... and I'm sure China already has their own plans along those lines.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Pugs

Exactly. People speak of the economy of this country as if it's a static thing. It's always been an evolving machine that will continue to evolve.

,..or de-evolve,....whichever the case may be.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
The whining sure is static.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe

,..or de-evolve,....whichever the case may be.

Your choice, enjoy your bed.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yup , and protective tariffs are hardly as un-american as many of these later day free traders make out .

The American industrial machine was born and nurtured under tariffs basically from the birth of the republic , and well into the 20th century .

But back the original topic , if faced with a choice of obamessiah , hitlery , McCain , and Bush , I would vote Bush again . He does suck on a number of issues , but he still does suck less than the next go-round .

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 06/02/08.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
Yup , and protective tariffs are hardly as un-american as many of these later day free traders make out .

The American industrial machine was born and nutured under tariffs basically from the birth of the republic , and well into the 20th century .

That's right,... Reagan wouldn't have tolerated the nonsense that's going on today.

http://www.americaneconomicalert.org/view_art.asp?Prod_ID=1134

Ronald Reagan: Trade Realist

The conventional wisdom about Reagan as free enterprise, free market champion is largely true. But on trade policy, Reagan acted decisively in five instances to save major American industries from predatory foreign competition. Moreover, as I detailed in a 1994 article in Foreign Affairs, in each case, the temporary import relief succeeded spectacularly, resulting in improved performance by these industries and avoiding the captive market prices that conventional economics teaches will always flow from restricting foreign competition.

Reagan's best-known protective policy was a tariff placed in 1983 on imported motorcycles at the request of American icon Harley-Davidson. The tariffs were to last five years, but the company's comeback proceeded so quickly that it relinquished the final months of import relief. Moreover, the tariffs encouraged Japanese rivals like Honda and Kawasaki to build or expand factories in the United States and create still more jobs for American workers.

Yet in many ways, the Harley tariffs were the least important examples of Reagan's trade realism. Far more significant and beneficial for the U.S. economy were Reagan trade policies that helped revitalize the auto, machine tool, semiconductor, and steel industries.

Reagan's tactics were flexible. In autos, machine tools, and steel, his administration subjected foreign producers to so-called voluntary export restraints. In semiconductors, Reagan officials negotiated an agreement to secure a specific share of the Japanese market for U.S. companies, and then imposed tariffs on Japanese electronics imports when Tokyo briefly refused to keep a promise to halt semiconductor dumping.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
When has government ever been more competent to make economic decisions than people who have their own money in the game?

You mean people like Ken Lay, and the cat from WorldCom (sorry, don't remember his name)? I don't like big government. That includes corporate government, and let's face it, corporations now control our government and manipulate policy to enhance their profits, with no thought to adverse impacts on the country. Corporations have no national loyalty. If America went tits up they would just relocate (many already have) and continue business as usual. Teddy Rooosevelt and the progressives recognized the danger of unbridled corporatism a hundred years ago. Why can't we see the danger now.

As an aside, I find it quite puzzling that you feel that it is perfectly okay for government to exercise control over individuals, to an extent on some issues that border on constitutional infringement, but believe that corporations should be beyond all government restraint.

Last edited by Gadfly; 06/02/08.

ego operor non tutela
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

The American industrial machine was born and nutured under tariffs basically from the birth of the republic , and well into the 20th century .

That's right,... Reagan wouldn't have tolerated the nonsense that's going on today.

http://www.americaneconomicalert.org/view_art.asp?Prod_ID=1134

Ronald Reagan: Trade Realist

The conventional wisdom about Reagan as free enterprise, free market champion is largely true. But on trade policy, Reagan acted decisively in five instances to save major American industries from predatory foreign competition. Moreover, as I detailed in a 1994 article in Foreign Affairs, in each case, the temporary import relief succeeded spectacularly, resulting in improved performance by these industries and avoiding the captive market prices that conventional economics teaches will always flow from restricting foreign competition.

Reagan's best-known protective policy was a tariff placed in 1983 on imported motorcycles at the request of American icon Harley-Davidson. The tariffs were to last five years, but the company's comeback proceeded so quickly that it relinquished the final months of import relief. Moreover, the tariffs encouraged Japanese rivals like Honda and Kawasaki to build or expand factories in the United States and create still more jobs for American workers.

Yet in many ways, the Harley tariffs were the least important examples of Reagan's trade realism. Far more significant and beneficial for the U.S. economy were Reagan trade policies that helped revitalize the auto, machine tool, semiconductor, and steel industries.

Reagan's tactics were flexible. In autos, machine tools, and steel, his administration subjected foreign producers to so-called voluntary export restraints. In semiconductors, Reagan officials negotiated an agreement to secure a specific share of the Japanese market for U.S. companies, and then imposed tariffs on Japanese electronics imports when Tokyo briefly refused to keep a promise to halt semiconductor dumping.

Reagan really made you feel good to be an American. He'd have been a better president senile than anyone since him with their faculties intact.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nemesis
Mr Antlers,

Earlier when addressing another forum member you said:

"Maybe you just have a problem with rational discourse...I know...it's much easier to talk politics with people who 'agree' with you........".

Since I have been trying to follow your reasoning here and would like to engage in, (as you put it) "rational discourse" with you.

Will you please provide specific examples of when the President acted in the manner that you allege in the following statement?

"why would a parent teach their child to respect a president who is a liar, a thief, a moron, a puppet, and a mass murderer"?

That's easy...he LIED when he led our country into believing there were "WMD's" in Iraq, and they were "an imminent threat to us", and took us to war based on those lies. He is a thief because his policies were responsible for 'shaking down' middle class America more than anybody ever has. Our disposable income is practically nill now; higher education is so high now, insurance is so high now-these necessities take more money out of our pockets now than ever before. The dollar is so devalued now, because he has borrowed hundreds of billions of dollars from China to 'fight' in Iraq, and the interest rate is practically non-existant because Wall Street wants the 'principal too'; and oil has gone up in price 1000% during his term, and these energy prices are spreading throughout our economy. He has releived millions of us from our money, in every way possible. He is a moron with his "nucular" as opposed to 'nuclear', and his "strategery" to win the war on "tara". Remember the moronic look on his face when he first learned of the 9/11 attacks? What a leader! He is completely out of touch with the mass of America. He is a puppet for big business, especially big oil...he gives them whatever they want. Paybacks for all the hundreds of millions they contributed to his campaign coffers. After his second election win, when he didn't have to be concerned with winning again, that's when he turned big business loose on us...remember, these ridiculous prices didn't start skyrocketing until after he won the second time. Tax breaks for multi-billion dollar corporations?...sure...let 'em have it. Taxpayers to subsidize billion dollar corporations?...sure...let 'em have it. All at the expense of the American taxpayer. And he is responsible for over 4000 American dead in Iraq, not to mention tens of thousands of Iraqis, or more.
But don't take 'my' word for it...do your own research...it's available in volumes on the internet.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually, antler, there is a lively political discourse here....running the spectrum from capitalist anarchists, through every stripe of libertarian, Randist, paleo-con, neo-con, moderate, and even a few sane lefties. We have a dedicated anti-Bush crowd, as well as several varieties of anti-war folks. We engage in civilized, mostly reasoned debate....occasionally enlightening each other, rarely changing minds but enjoying the exercise.

what we don't have, and don't need, is people who don't share our sport, who come in here spouting silly juvenile slogans from leftie web sites on their very first post, and pretty much go downhill from there.

'You' don't want people who feel as strongly about their convictions as 'you' do about yours.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antlers

That's easy...he LIED when he led our country into believing there were "WMD's" in Iraq, and they were "an imminent threat to us"

Well, it is an undisputed fact that therewere WMDs in Iraq. That there were none found after the US invasion does not alter that fact. And Bush didn't say Iraq was an imminent threat, and your putting the words within quotation marks doesn't alter that fact either. Cheney has been quoted as saying that but the full quote shows that he immediately corrected himself. Like Casey Stengel said: "You could look it up".

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
actually, antler, there is a lively political discourse here....running the spectrum from capitalist anarchists, through every stripe of libertarian, Randist, paleo-con, neo-con, moderate, and even a few sane lefties. We have a dedicated anti-Bush crowd, as well as several varieties of anti-war folks. We engage in civilized, mostly reasoned debate....occasionally enlightening each other, rarely changing minds but enjoying the exercise.

what we don't have, and don't need, is people who don't share our sport, who come in here spouting silly juvenile slogans from leftie web sites on their very first post, and pretty much go downhill from there.

Thats a nice way of saying "If your'e not an outdoorsman, your'e an idiot, and your opinion doesn't count." I agree. Put up or shut up.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Mickey Mouse Club incarnate. How else do you explain it?

Without sugar5coating it, Bush sucks.

You can't get around the debt numbers and if you try, you're nothing more than a partisan hack who sucks on GW's little one.

It's BS, why do you guys persist on defending him? Do you have a little one as well?

At least have some resemblence of reality and admit how much we suck. To do otherwise makes you a party hack more concerned with the party than you are with the country.

Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1badf350, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,687
Posts18,513,529
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.