Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sassy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Caught a bullhead today while I was fishing. Never caught one before. Got it skinned, now I don't know how to cook it. Do you cook it like bluegill? I dredge my panfish in masa and fry in oil but the meat on this fish looks so different.

Sassy

GB1

Sassy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nevermind, I fed it to the cats.

Sassy

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That may have been the recipe of the day.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bullheads.....DELICIOUS! Perhaps the best eating of freshwater fish. I have enjoyed many, many family fish fries over the years where bullheads were the "fish of the day". We no longer gut & skin; we fillet them with an electric knife just like other panfish. We like them fried....sometimes battered....other times, just dusted with flour/meal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have always just done the 'filet and fry' thing with Bullheads. Delicious with hush puppies, coleslaw and beer. smile

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shame to throw away good catfish! Your cats got a gourmet meal, and you missed out on good eats. Fried works!

War Damn Eagle!

Sassy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Now I know why the cats went to the fridge after finishing the fish, they were waiting for the beer. LOL If I get anymore I will try fixing them for us instead of the cats. It sure had alot of meat on it.

I remember my grandparents eating bullheads but was too young to see how grandma fixed em. Of course they liked headscheese and fried calf brains too so wasn't sure about the bullheads.

Sassy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We ate them when I was a kid. Skinned them with a pliers, cut the head off, gutted, battered, and deep fried. I usually cut out the red line going from the head to the tail down th middle of the fillet. It had more of a strong fishy taste to it than the rest.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The cooler the water they come from, the better.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bucktail
We ate them when I was a kid. Skinned them with a pliers, cut the head off, gutted, battered, and deep fried. I usually cut out the red line going from the head to the tail down th middle of the fillet. It had more of a strong fishy taste to it than the rest.

Wild cats are going to be stronger flavored than farm raised...but cat's are good eating...they're a fish that lend themselves to a lot of differnt cooking styles. White and flakey, but not fragile...good stuff!

War Damn Eagle!

IC B3

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We are WAY over-thinking this, guys. Bullheads are GREAT eating. Just fillet/skin them with an electric knife and fry 'em up.....DELICIOUS!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hell yes they are good to eat. Fry it!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Boggy Creek Ranger always said the wild-caught are better than the farm raised ones, so I've been pretty much stuck with second best and then Sassy gives one to Felix the Cat...!!! Opportunity lost for good eats...LOL!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Isn't the meat off a bullhead usually yellow looking or is that an Okie thing.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yall are talking about mudcat right?

Those little short yellowish brown slimy fish with a big head and whiskers?

I have a pond full of them.

Need to get rid of as many as possible.

I heard they are great trotline bait.

Sassy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep it was the short yellowish brown slimy fish with big head and whiskers. I imagine we will catch more of them and I intend to fry them the next time. The meat was pretty much white not yellow at all. Probably the good Michigan water it grew up in.

Thank you all for your replys they are much appreciated. It sure was fun to catch, I was using a light line and he put up a nice little fight. Can't believe I've been fishing for 50 years and never caught one before.

Sassy

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It sure was fun to catch, I was using a light line and he put up a nice little fight.

They just did a spot on Michigan Out of Doors doing that very thing..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yes, if prepare right, bull heads can be delicious.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Three different bullheads in freshwater, IIRC... and not all are equal. Black bullheads are the ones we caught a lot of when I was very young and briefly when living in WAY upstate NY. They were very good.

Yellow and brown are the two others and I have not heard great things about them... Might explain some differences in opinion...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
[quote=Sitka deer]Three different bullheads in freshwater, IIRC... and not all are equal. Black bullheads are the ones we caught a lot of when I was very young and briefly when living in WAY upstate NY. They were very good.

Sitka deer - What do you consider WAY upstate NY? When I look out my living room window I'm looking into Canada, you mean that far up?

Bullheads are kind of a springtime regional delicacy up here. When I was a kid all the kids in town went bullhead fishing about every night from ice out until mid-may. Quite often the fathers and uncles went too, a great time. Like a lot of things, not as much now, but still done. A lot of the VFD's, churches, other organizations have springtime bullhead suppers for fund raisers. One near here has been doing it for over seventy years, the social event of the season in that town. If people don't see you there they look for you in the obituaries when they get home.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,194
Posts18,503,541
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.