Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Alamosa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone else here had the experience of setting up in a spot that they think might have potential in black timber and then having a squirrel make a racket overhead that would raise the dead?

I can't count the number of times that has happened to me.
I'm not fluent in squirrel chatter but I don't think it is necessary to be. The message seems pretty clear that he's angry, I'm intruding, and he'll do whatever he can to blow my cover.

If I REALLY want to hunt a spot I'll wait it out, but that could be 15 minutes of annoying chatter, and who knows how much longer after that for the surrounding atmosphere to ease off and return to normal. More often than not I move on and find another spot.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Alamosa,
Yes.
Resident small animals and birds are the junkyard dogs which often give larger critters a clue that there is an intruder-predator in their little world.

I have often observed that learning how to move and hunt and hide so the small critters don't know you are there is a huge plus when we still hunt, spot & stalk etc.

Squirrels have about a 15 minute 'memory' ..IF you are still.
Chipmunks are far worse..:(..

The larger critters use the birds and small game as a help in their security...Ya want to be undetected? Hunt and move so slow and unobtrusively that even the banana slugs feel like you belong there..:0 Jim

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Then they take to dropping pine cones on you.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've sat on a game trail deer hunting and had squirrels start up their chatter and could hear something coming down the trail in heavy timber and heard whatever it was turn around and go back up the trail.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They kinda irritate me, but usually stop soon enough. I've also used them when setup, they chatter at a lot of stuff... They have announced game showing up.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
VERY TRUE. A few years back my buddy and I were doing a evening hunt. About 20 min into it I had seen a few doe It was looking good. Then I heard 10 shots coming from his way. I went over there to find him standing there Beretta 92 in hand 10 round and the critter was still going to town.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Carry a pellet pistol with you grin

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A squirrel screwed up my best chance at an elk last season... little fugger. I went back to try and waste his rodent butt with a 200-gn 8mm TSX but of course, he was long gone.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They bark at everything that moves, so they are as informative to me as they are to game. Magpies are another good informer. I've spotted bedded deer and elk by watching magpies as they cross a valley headed to another mountain. They wheel in and look for parasites etc on bedded critters.

Ravens, eagles, jays, and coyotes are good messengers too if one is predator hunting. The will point out the location of gut piles, dead critters, and hunting predators.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/11/08.

1Minute
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
100% know the woods sounds like the game you hunt. use it to YOUR advantage. 15 miles back a chipmunk has probably never seen a human in it's life but will still blow. wonder what it did/does
when it first sees a deer/elk/bear/mink ect. just act natural like you belong there. i,ve been 20-25 ft. away from wild deer that knew i was there from 50-60 yds. SLOW DOWN and RELAX, pic some leaves, stir the ground, take a step or 2, look around, pay it no mind. just act natural, he'll shut up sooner than you think, time and time again.

let me give you boys a lil' tip. you might wanna turn off that engine 'fore you go and change that there fan belt!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I had a red squrrel follow me through a tamarack swamp in Michigan's UP. I eventually quieted him down with a 200 grain round nose from my 35 Remmy. Got a complete pass through.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why'd he follow ya? Did he think you was a big nut? Stalker type?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You want to hear squirrels freak out let a hawk or a owl land any where within sight of one squirrel. They will go nuts! Having seen this on several occations, and still seeing deer move later on, I don't let it discourage me too much.

Last edited by MarkG; 06/25/08.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blue Jays have told me game was around before, in the thicket. As for squirrels, nothing a bit of shot from the scatter gun wont take care of! smile

M
msc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I love the little bastards...they are entertaining. I like it when they creep down a tree or along a deadfall and don't know you are there til you go "boo" and they come out of ther skin! I'll take them over pine martins in camp any day

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Has anyone else here had the experience of setting up in a spot that they think might have potential in black timber and then having a squirrel make a racket overhead that would raise the dead?

Hypothetically speaking, "perhaps." Y' know something? At 6-8 feet, "I think" smile a patched .58 cal round ball "might" go clean through a squirrel. Just a feeling. (TM)

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Kind of a twist on this thread, but a friendly squirrel let me know something was not right. About four years ago I was fishing the Kenai in Alaska during the late Red run. I was the only one on the bank at the time and this squirrel starts making some real noise. I didn't pay it much mind, but after about five minutes of this I decided to try and spot it in the trees to see what was setting it off. I spotted it about 60 yds back in the trees and glanced to the base of the tree to see a huge brown bear sitting on its haunches watching me fish. I can only guess what may have happened had I hooked and fought a salmon. I slipped out of sight along the bank and made a beeline to the car. crazy

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
One time a little red squirrel was blowing my cover, he came down to just about eye level on me about 10 feet away. The only thing I could think of beside smearing him across the tree was to show my teeth as big as I could to him. He beat feet so quick I laughed out loud and blew my own cover. It was worth it, never forget that.
But yes, they can be to your adavantage as well if you're still hunting and something else is tripping his whistle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had squirrels warn me of approaching game a few times. Once I was bowhunting for elk and had one run down the trail towards me. He was in full charge except he didn't know I was there. He stopped for a seconds on top of my right foot and then ran another few feet and stopped. He turned around and looked at my foot and then up at me and took off in full...but silent...warp speed retreat.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1OntarioJim, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,931
Posts18,479,940
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.